Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitsubishi MD19HTS & Surround SOund from Sky Plus - how?

Options
  • 17-08-2004 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

Some months ago I purchased a Mitsubishi MD19HTS Home Theatre System to use with SKy Plus.

The Mitsubshi doesn't have an optical out so I connect up the phono sockets to the digi-box. I can get sound in the front left & right speakers but nothing from the back speakers.

It may be I need to change settings on the menu in the MD19HTS but the manual is badly written (to say the least). I have recorded a few films from Sky Movies 1 (with DS) but to no avail.

Can anybody thouw some light on this for me.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bad news I'm afraid. No optical no Dolby Digital. Only stereo can pass through the phonos so the best you will be able to do is Pro-Logic or Pro-logic 2 if your amp supports it. The DD signal only passes through the optical output.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Thanks for that Mr.P.

Yo obviously know what you're talking about therefore can you have a look at te following mail I received from Mitsubshi Tech Support to my query and let me know what you reckon?
    Are they talking crap??

"The output from the Sky Plus box via stereo outputs does have surround sound information provided 5.1 is being transmitted. Therefore you can input to MD19HTS scart or Phono"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

unfortunately mate, they are talking crap!
    the 2 phonos will only transmit 2 way stereo, and the best they can do is pro logic, which is handy for regular sky users, but not good enough when your paying for sky+
    there is a cure for this problem - that is if you have coax in on your mitsibishi system...you can get a coax/optical converter (not sure on the price, do a google) and this will allow you to go from ur amp to coax to the converter to optical to the sky+ box.

if not, hopefully you have a chance of exchanging the system for one with optical.
    the only way phono's could do it would be if the sky box and your amp had 5 actualy phono sockets, one for front left, front right, centre, back left & back right, but dont think this is the case
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Thanks HacksawEddie - I'll google and see whay I can locate.
    Thanks for your prompt and straight talking answer.
    Cheers,
    Kaiphas

Advertisement