Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First French Team Under Domenech

• 17-08-2004 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

With all the international retirements, it's interesting to see what Domenech does in their friendly versus Bosnia on Wednesday evening.

France opt for youth over experience against Bosnia
    RENNES, France, Aug 17 (Reuters) - Coach Raymond Domenech has named an experimental team for France's friendly against Bosnia on Wednesday, their first since inspirational playmaker Zinedine Zidane ended his international career.
    Domenech picked no less than four uncapped players, Monaco defenders Sebastien Squillaci and Patrice Evra, Olympique Lyon sweeper Eric Abidal and Girondins Bordeaux's Rio Mavuba.
    They will play alongside Paris St Germain's Bernard Mendy, who has one cap, Marseille striker Peguy Luyindula, who has two, and PSG midfielder Jerome Rothen, with five.
    Midfielder Benoit Pedretti and libero William Gallas have 15 and 20 caps respectively.
    The most experienced players in the starting line-up are 33-year-old Marseille goalkeeper Fabien Barthez, who will captain the team, and Arsenal goal scorer Thierry Henry.
    Since he took over from Jacques Santini in July, Domenech has made it clear he had little choice but to bank on youth to cope with the retirement of several key players like defenders Bixente Lizarazu and Lilian Thuram and captain Marcel Desailly.
    It will be France's first match since their 1-0 defeat by Greece in the quarter-finals of the European championship in Portugal in June.
    The 32-year-old Zidane decided last week to retire from the international game, saying it was time for him to leave his place to young players.
    Team: Fabien Barthez; Bernard Mendy, William Gallas, Sebastien Squillaci, Patrice Evra; Eric Abidal, Rio Mavuba, Benoit Pedretti, Jerome Rothen; Thierry Henry, Peguy Luyindula.
    Source: http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4428949,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I predicted France would be caught in transition (which many others predicted too) and now im sure they will be .

They probably would have been better playing for expierienced French players who are just not as good quality as what has retired , and bring in the youngsters slowly .(so the expierienced players would get them through the group and the youngsters would be ready for Germany when it comes round .)

I think France will be poor up front , bad in midfield and dreadful at the back .
    I can't wait for Ireland to hammer them on they're own soil on our way to an unbeaten qualifying record . :D

Our toughest game will be Israel away :p .(don't expect that to be easy though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shamrok wrote:
    Team: Fabien Barthez; Bernard Mendy, William Gallas, Sebastien Squillaci, Patrice Evra; Eric Abidal, Rio Mavuba, Benoit Pedretti, Jerome Rothen; Thierry Henry, Peguy Luyindula.[/url]
    I never don't know a lot about half those players but I won't be getting carried away, I'm sure the French don't know much about most of our players.

No Silvestre, Saha, Trezeguet, Makelele, Sagnol, Giuly... This is the last friendly before the qualifiers, I don't know why they weren't called up.

most of the players play in France , and I think Domenech is the type of manager to choose home gorwn players over other ones , hence he's picking players like Luyindula over Saha(which is crazy) .

Israel may never get a better chance to qualify for the World Cup .
    God knows they may be unbeatable at home .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Big Ears wrote:
    most of the players play in France , and I think Domenech is the type of manager to choose home gorwn players over other ones , hence he's picking players like Luyindula over Saha(which is crazy) .

Israel may never get a better chance to qualify for the World Cup .
    God knows they may be unbeatable at home .

Saha is injuried and why the hell didnt he pick Cisse.

irishgeo wrote:
    Saha is injuried and why the hell didnt he pick Cisse.

em yes..............of course I meant Cisse ..................

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    No Silvestre, Saha, Trezeguet, Makelele, Sagnol, Giuly... This is the last friendly before the qualifiers, I don't know why they weren't called up.

its a conspiracy I tells ya , it aint no coincidence all those players play in Europe :eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

By the way, if you have Sky Digital you can view the French qualifiying matches live on TV5. The home match versus Israel kicks off at 7.45 on Sept 4th and they have it. They might only have the home games but Eurosport tend to show France live a lot too. Be nice to keep an eye on things.

I know, it's slightly off the point but I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Too many threads with little stories at the moment, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know why he didn't pick Cisse for tonights game but at least he got called up. The players I mentioned didn't even make the squad.

Cheers for that info Shamrok although I can't see myself watching it unless they show it in the pub which I doubt.

Advertisement