Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adware with d/l accelerators

Options
  • 17-08-2004 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

I have to use download accelerators to pause/resume downloads as I'm on dialup. But what I've noticed, since installing adaware, spybot, etc that they carry an awful lot of adware. Download Accelerator Plus, Flashget, Getright etc.

I'm just wondering are these harmless adware? Is there some programs (that use ads) that you just have to accept this if you want to keep running them?

Is there any d/l resume programs you can get that don't have adware/spyware?

;)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Moving ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Well there's a dead handy Linux programme called wget that's standard in the Linux world. You can resume downloads with that. Chech if there is a Windows version. Also Firefox (and progrobably mozilla) allow you to pause and resume downloads, there's windows versions of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Sorry ecksor for posting in wrong forum :o

I use Firefox as my browser Syth. It doesn't really support pause/resume. You can pause a d/l but as soon as you disconnect from the net it's cancelled which really beats the point of pausing the download!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

do a search for fresh download. havent noticed any adaware in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

irishgeo wrote:
    do a search for fresh download. havent noticed any adaware in that.

Cheers
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

they will, however, email you relentlessly for the rest of your life ;)

So i'd recommend using a throwaway hotmail account or something similar to get the registration code from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Advertisement