Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of hundred euro freezeouts

Options
  • 17-08-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Decided to fire some hardwon Sunday night fitz credit at the 100 game last night. Bizarre game for a few reasons - one of the funniest stories was from a table with Joe and Paddy O'Neill, Noel Furlong and one other regular punter. Gist of it anyway - deal comes down with Furlong on the small and punter in the big blind. Bit of limping action from Paddy, and Furlong calls. At this point the BB tells the dealer that he's seen Furlong's cards. One of the cash game dealers suggests the ruling that the BB can't play the hand. This is obviously a bit controversial and Luke is brought down. Eventual decision is that the hand proceeds as normal without any further information to the rest of the table. Then Noel flops trips and checks UTG. BB checks (surprisingly!), and Paddy checks. Rag comes down - Furlong bets, BB throws the hand away at the speed of light and Paddy raises! The rest is unhappy for P O'Neill.

My own tournament was also weird, in that I don't think I've ever had quite as bad a run of cards. I saw a total of 5 flops before the 100 min break (including when I was sitting on the blinds), and didn't win one. I was down to about 1500 from a start of 4000. Then on the last hand before the break I find AK in middle position, early raise, I go all in as quick as I can get them in there and the original raiser calls with AK for a split pot. Then post break everything changes about 20 minutes in after being forced all in for 1500 in the BB with 200-400 and a pair of sixes against QJs, win, and before long I have 20,000 in front of me without playing anything less than AQ. Make final table with 28K to sit second to Joe on about 40 with 160K odd chips at the table. Joe had previously caught two pair on the river to knock out Willow with QJ against AA.

Anyway, a few hands gone and seven players left at 800-1500, Joe limps in early. I've 99 in the middle and bring it up to 5000. It's pretty tight play and this knocks out everyone bar Joe who reluctantly calls. Then the flop comes down 10 4 2 with two spades and Joe moves in immediately. I head into the tank and try to figure out what he's playing: big pair, no, would have reraised pre-flop and would have tried to extract value after the flop. Similar for trips etc. So left with maybe JJ or something like AT. Instinct is not to make a stupid risk and throw the hand away, but I've a niggling feeling that he's at it with either a middle pair or a spade draw. If he'd the top pair he'd make a pot sized bet to see if I'd raised with an overpair. Or at least the story that's now getting boring goes. Decide to shove them all in. Of course he called with QT offsuit and I'm out in seventh without a penny from the night. Just a little frustrating. And I know, it was a terrible call, there was no need for it and calling an all in when you're two from the money and people shortstacked. Yeah, yeah, I know.

Joe ended up taking home the first (2 grand) - how much has the guy won recently? It's mental. Ah well, off my chest now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The hundred game is savage fun though. Lessons all round.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know people will greatly disagree because they only see him play in the freerolls where he's acting the maggot but for my money Joe is one of the best tournie players in the Fitz if not the best. I dont think I've made a final table lately that he hasnt been at. Take that whole wide-boy loose-as-f*ck image with a pinch of salt, he's no muppet. :)

I'm going to have to sit down at that 100 game again soon. Either that or the 50-50 on friday. I dont know if I *want* to make the final table in the 20-in cos it means 3am and a wiped out day the next day! :)

DeV.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

DeVore wrote:
    I dont know if I *want* to make the final table in the 20-in cos it means 3am and a wiped out day the next day!

That's an awful attitude to have, shame on you Tom.

But seriously, you should only enter any tournament if you are prepared to go all the way.
    In my opinion, you may as well throw your money away if you go in with the half-hearted "have work in the morning" attitude.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont let it affect me tooooo much :):)

<back on topic> Tough call Brendan. I know you say you think you were wrong to call but you have a nice hand on a flop that looks like it probably helped nobody. I would have put him on over cards to the flop and he thinks your AK, AQ just got no help. Dangerously he could also have been limping with 22 or 44 and his crying-call is to get to see a flop, the problem with that theory is that he wouldnt come out and bet it aggressively.
    Hard to call the right move there but you are probably right that you should have thrown it away if you were still comfortably chipped and there were small stacks under pressure. Not an obvious put-down though from the cards pov against Joe. He's not the kind of player to back away from a flop he just missed!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

you can use Devore's fantastic odds calculating method here:

If your right and hes on a flush draw, he will win 1/3 of the time. However, if he has a flush draw and 2 overcards he will win more than 50% of the time. If you are wrong and he has a 10, you will win about 10% of the time. Theres no need to even work out the exact odds here, easy fold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ThePhilosopher

i am always interested in Toms calculations and odds on flops. i'm still feeling my way most of the time. Although i'm usually at it anyway. :)

Oh yeah hi guys, I have finally made it to boards.

i am always interested in Toms calculations and odds on flops. i'm still feeling my way most of the time. Although i'm usually at it anyway. :)

Oh yeah hi guys, I have finally made it to boards.
    who that then??

DeV.

Advertisement