Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Computer Applications!! Any1 doing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

NotMe: i dont hate it, but its not my favourite os and i dont relly like using it.

OK, im in dc121, points are the same as last year 300.

Renegade_Archer: Same here(well with X on light weighted window manager - fluxbox,) running gnu screen, one window is vim other window is a gcc, few next ones are more vim and more man'uals. If i could get running console resulotion higher than 800x600 i would live in a console.
    Slackware was my second distro, i came from mandrake, learned the basics on mandrake, moved up to slackware, other few distros, but slackware was great. Around chritstmass of 03, i moved up to BSDs (OpenBSD -> FreeBSD -> DragonFlyBSD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

(offtopic as hell, but what the hell)

Have you tried using a framebuffer? As long as its not some kind of weird graphics card you should be able to squeeze a 1024*768 buffer out of it... you even get a cool penguin logo on boot :P

(And to bring this remotely on topic)
    If youre considering UL, please dont just think "Limerick, Jesus Christ no thanks, I'll get cut up by the scumbags", UL is located a few miles outside the city, really nice campus.

Here ends the propaganda announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

So, who has accepted the offer and everything?

I have so DCU here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

So, who has accepted the offer and everything?

I have so DCU here I come

Yep checked online when I got into work this morning, and leaped at DC121 Comp Applications I'll be there.
    Richy.

• Advertisement

So now we can do a definite list

CULT
    -oRnein9-
    Sarunas
    Blackwizard (darragh, may as well start getting personal ;))
    SmellyIrishMan(Andy, AKA me ;))
    Napalm @ night
    VinnyL

So now we can do a definite list

CULT
    -oRnein9-
    Sarunas
    Blackwizard (darragh, may as well start getting personal ;))
    SmellyIrishMan(Andy, AKA me ;))

A friend of mine should be going aswell (he got the points ~315, and that was his first choice, IIRC).

So when do we start dcu? its gonna be another few days till we receive official welcoming from dcu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Yep accepted the offer this morning... :D

Ye, Hopefully will be soon enough but it will be a few days at least. Want to know when we start though, so we gonna meet on the first day?

so we gonna meet on the first day?

<happy_and_silly_sarcasm>
    When all first years be in one place just shout our names/nicks, we will know who is who quick.
    </happy_and_silly_sarcasm>

Or we just gonna know who is who without meeting, i will be easilly identified, just look for skinny 6' 3" lad with messy short hear (i added few bits) who corrects the lecturers, asks questions, looks like he knows what he is talking about, and asks about linux or other unices, hangs around where people from netbrick are, computer labs - using a weird operating system that none of you ever saw, refuses to do certain things......

[PM'ing our names, phone numbers might be good idea too]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

count me in...

lol we have been through this!, we all 6 something and skinny!!

im 6,1 , skinny, will have a leather jacket on, got a thingy on my chin made of hair, you know one of those things,and will be standing beside black wizard!

But shouting out the nicks could be more fun

"I there a smelly irish man here?" then the fists come flying (but they are fat nerd fists and so we are cushioned :rolleyes: )

Anyway, Im Andy , Wizard is Dara.

Maybe a game night before we go to DCU?

What do redbrick do exactly, seems that they have a LOAD of members but only a handfull do anything other than chat in Hey! or whatever its called.

You gotta come back to my house after first day and set me up linux style!

Whats ages are people too?? im 17 dara`s 18, Sar your 17 correct?

Unofficial list of the people who will be starting Computer Applications (DC121) in DCU in 2004 are:

1. "CULT", Ross
    2. "-oRnein9-"
    3. "Sarunas", Sarunas
    4. "Blackwizard", Darragh
    5. "SmellyIrishMan", Andy
    6. "napalm@night", Kev
    7. "VinnyL", Vinny L.
    8. Paul (a friend of mine who i is joining us too)
    9. "Patrick"
    10. "The Butcher", Kev (a friend of SmellyIrishMan/Andy)
    11. "adjodlo" (repeating first year)

Note: a name between double quotes is a boards nick, if the poster revealed his/hers real name, its followed after the boards nick.

An yeah, im 17 thats :) and :( . Lets just say i will be 18 after a first year of dcu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Well done lads, Id say orientation week will start around the 25th of September give or take a few days. So save a few quid and head along to the Orientation Ball that week, get chat to some of the first year nurses or business students. Thats where the best women can be found.

Registration will start in early October or very late September.

Vinny: Congrats man :)

feeling like the oldy at a grand old age of 19.....

Sweet, another month off!
    Ye, im not 18 till January.
    Ye, we make up 12% of first year CA

Oh and there is at least one other mate of mine going

The Butcher , Kev , 18

And a guy I knew in school but dont talk to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

AFAIK, I'll be repeating first year CA. go me.

Sweet, another month off!
    Ye, im not 18 till January.
    Ye, we make up 12% of first year CA

Oh and there is at least one other mate of mine going

The Butcher , Kev , 18

And a guy I knew in school but dont talk to much.

Not being 18 in first year is a pain in the hole. One of my mates was only 18 in March a few years ago and it was his first year in DCU and he couldn't go into the bar or any of that shít. If you have a decent fake id then you can still go out on nights out but it really is a hassle having to sign people in and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

i've accepted aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i had CA down as my first choice but i failed maths somehow :confused: so am getting it rechecked but it doesn't matter got a letter from ucas today and i'm off to Scotland!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Oh well Trebor, gues I won't be seeing YOU again :/ , heh, I got a D3 in classics, after all the A's yer man gave me during the year :) .

I too feel slightly old at 19 now 0_o . Crap, and I've been the spritely youth at all the boards beers before!

CuLT wrote:
    Oh well Trebor, gues I won't be seeing YOU again :/ , heh, I got a D3 in classics, after all the A's yer man gave me during the year :) .

I too feel slightly old at 19 now 0_o . Crap, and I've been the spritely youth at all the boards beers before!

damn you youngn's, come back to me when you've been surrounded by 17/18 year olds for a year at 23 then you can feel slightly old :)

haha i got a C1 in clasics :p

Trebor wrote:
    damn you youngn's, come back to me when you've been surrounded by 17/18 year olds for a year at 23 then you can feel slightly old :)

haha i got a C1 in clasics :p
    Aye, but the important thing is you ACTED like a 17/18 year old :P .

CuLT wrote:
    Aye, but the important thing is you ACTED like a 17/18 year old :P .

and that will never change :)

btw am looking into the details, but i should be renting out my granny flat which is 10min walk from dcu, if anyones interested i will have a post in the accommodation board when its been finalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

damnyanks wrote:
    Usually getting a laptop for college is pointless especially for first year. The machines in whatever college you are will suffice for whatever needs you have in college. Its highly unlikely that you are going to get any difficult projects that take up a lot of times and need a decent setup in first year. Save your cash for 2nd or 3rd year laptops.

There is also the added hassle of having to carry a piece of hardware worth over 1k around with you all day. What if you end up going out for a few drinks unannounced (Happens quite often in college ;) )

Dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere but in DCU having a laptop is not a bad idea. Sometimes, free PCs can be hard to come by and the whole DCU campus (pretty much) is covered by wireless access points.

Theres about a million computers. In all my times in DCU, even in the height of people studying for exams, there was always about 20-30 free computers per lab. no joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

feeling like the oldy at a grand old age of 19.....

hey napalm, do we get O.A.P. discounts cause i'm 19 too. we might get on the bus for free now we're soooo old! :)

i did common entry science last year, thats why i'm soooo old.

by the way, any of you who havnt managed to crack the code yet, my name is VINNY L ;)

back to the simplex crosswords lads.... ;)

its gonna be this much fun this year <
    >

i cant wait!

and cheers draupnier!

yeah somewhow an oap on his way to ca...cant see it working much as id like to...could always try using using a walking stick and getting the bus driver to use cool rampie thing.....either way names Kev

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I'm Ross.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement