Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

precautions during jigsaw to side panel?

Options
  • 17-08-2004 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

hey,
    i'm about to try some (IMO...) serious modding, i.e. windowing the machine!
    but i haven't found any really helpful "how to"s on the net. if anyone knows any sites offhand i'd really appreciate it or if anyone has any advice at all that'd be deadly.

i checked out this site: http://www.7volts.com/casemods.htm, as recommended in one o the sticky threads, but it pretty much just said use a few layers of masking tape...

i'll be cutting a 27x27cm circle in the panel (hopefully).

if i wanna do it right at all should i really go for one o them window kits from jes.de and the like? or need i bother with 'em and simply get a sheet of perpsex and a bit of locktite??

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Just make sure you have a nice half rounded file handy as you will need it after the cut. Jigsaw isint the easiest thing to cut circles with but its pretty fast. Once your talkin about going this far theres no need for any kit TBH. Grab a sheet of perspex from B&Q etc and slap it on (best way would be bolt, but TBH i think a good ammount of loctite would be fine).

Ohhh and try not to cut your fingers off thats a good safety tip..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I tried to use a jigsaw when i was doing my side panel never again - blooddy thing keept on wobbeling all over the place and it is much harder to get it even- Instead i went out and bought a Dremel and 30 cutting blades and a few sanding bits for the dremel- much better looking than the jigsaw more even better looking :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

jigsaws aren't particularly good for circles, you're going to need to do a lot of work afterwards to make sure it's curved and smooth enough.

I'd recommend a dremel. May take longer, but the result will be much better.

If you are going to use a jigsaw (and a dremel too I suppose but it's not as "dangerous"), use a workbench. Jigsaws tend to get a little stuck sometimes if you're not on a steady/clamped surface and will not be easy. If you secure it on a workbench it'll be much easier and safer. Oh and wear gloves and goggles :)

But seriously, consider using a dremel (clone), much better and you can use it for a million and one things (including smaller holes for fans, or sanding/grinding edges and things like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I paid 45 euro's for my orginal dremel great little thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Also it's not a good idea to use a jigsaw if the case is aluminium cause it will bend really easy,a dremel and windowkit from maplins/peats is a good choice tbh.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Col_Loki wrote:
    Grab a sheet of perspex from B&Q etc and slap it on
    What size sheets can you get and how much is it.
    I don't like the idea of window kits, just seem to be too... uniform in size, not really a mod then... I'm talking shite i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I've got a half decent guide on my website,
    www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~goaz/EasyMods/

When I got the perspex in B&Q I think it was 2' by 4' can't remember the price though. Most likely less than €20

Edit: Oh and I think it was 4mm thick.

Or else what you could use is I know i sounds sh*ty - but chickenwire overlap it a few times spray paint it black - that is what i have done to my case- the Hitman symbool i drew it one the case and used the good ol' dremel - used a few bolts on either side - blue cold cathlode behind it looks great at night and day time :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yup, if you don't want to use plexi, use other things you can get in B&Q. They have mesh panels you can use for radiator covers and other cabinets that will not only look good, but also allow more airflow.

Pretty much the same as this stuff:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1330.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

cheers mucho Raz, very helpful little guide. (and off topic - the left frame of the site needs a scroll bar! maybe its just 'caus of the resolution i'm running at tho...)

interesting ideas there koneko & Mac, never really seen mods like 'em before. i might try summ't like 'em on my next machine.

i won't be able to show off any "progress" soon by the way, just started a new job, no damn time... but eventually...

thanx again all youz for the words and whatnot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Mac daddy wrote:
    Or else what you could use is I know i sounds sh*ty - but chickenwire overlap it a few times spray paint it black - that is what i have done to my case- the Hitman symbool i drew it one the case and used the good ol' dremel - used a few bolts on either side - blue cold cathlode behind it looks great at night and day time :):D

I'd love to see a pic of this if its possible?

Advertisement