Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamix has been shut down.

Options
  • 10-08-2001 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Sierra have fired the lot of them.

This is not a joke. mad.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Dynamix gave me the best game ive ever played (T1) so im sorry to see them go. I feel very sorry for the guys who lost their jobs but im not hugely suprised. Personally i think the management should be fired, after all its not really the coders fault the game is a bit crap.
    Latest news suggests that the franchise will be kept alive within the sierra 'family'. The latest patch (which includes recordable demos - they will keep the game alive for MUCH longer) and the playable demo will be finished before dynamix is shut down apparently.
    The Auth servers are run by Won.net and so should be unaffected. Even if they went down, the auth check would be patched out. Sierra arent going to open themselves to a lawsuit by leaving a game physically unplayble.
    The master servers will also stay up (probably even the T1 masters). Again even if they go down, a fan run master server would appear very shortly.

In short, it sucks that Dynamix is shut down, but i doubt we will see any difference.
    The best thing to happen to the game imho is that Marweas bloke (Alex Rodberg - brand manager for sierra) who has taken over Dave Georgessons role as 'community developer'. Since his arrival, we now have the no fog option, demos, speed increases and a lot of other things the community at large asked for. Assuming the code is handed over to another developer, i see no reason why the game cant go on to (eventually) deliver some of its promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">after all its not really the coders fault the game is a bit crap</font>

T2 was the least playable game ever, far worse than Q2 out of the box IMHO. Who else do you blame that on.

They had time as they had that long ass alpha and beta process - with all its hype..

If management are looking at a 'department' and see one with a game with **** poor sales and lots and lots of complaints Im sure it makes thier decisions easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

While it's not fun to loose your job with no warning (been there, done that), those spas should have expected it after the piece of elephant excrement that is Tribes 2 mad.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right first things first I'm sorry to see a company go down the tubes and I want to state that at the start of this post.

Right next on the agenda.
    Could you honestly not see it coming any company and I mean any company who falls so far behind deadline and produces such a buggy non working piece of code is really in trouble. If I produced code like that I would be fired on the spot and to be honest I would do the firing if it was my company.

Next thing is I felt so let down by Tribes 2 every time I went online to play it there was a patch then there was a patch to a patch and then they reversed a patch due to lack of testing. I have uninstalled tribes 2 from my pc and tbh I will never put it on again.

my two cents

kayos
    When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What will happen to the servers then? You can't play on the internet without the T2 server running?! eek.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

It's a shame to see another games studio closing. Still, in my opinion, Tribes 2 promised so much but somehow failed to deliver. I never had any serious technical problems with it but sometimes it just seemed more like work than fun and that's pretty unforgivable in a game.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Riddic

As far as I know, Sierra runs the servers and won´t shut them down. I think things look grim for future patches or updates ... like including the wheeled scout and APC.

Dynamix went down because of Sierras mis-management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Riddic

Well ... the release dates are set by Sierra.
    The Alpha and Beta processes are there to test out how stable the game is and debug it accordingly. I doubt that the Dynamix guys would have released the game with all the bugs in it.
    Ok, I´ve had my share of problems with T2 as well .. as a matter of fact it took 3 patches for the game not to crash on me all the time.
    But T2 is still one of the best games available. I don´t care how many patches it took. T2 has the BEST netcode I´ve ever seen, it has nice graphics, a great gameplay .... etc etc etc. The credit to that has to go to Dynamix ONLY !!! And now the staff gets dumped because Sierra doesn´t know how to run a company ??
    NO !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

Hobbes, your wrong! The lads all got the sack because they were caught with animal p0rn on their PC's in work. fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sacked for makin a crap game biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually most of Sierra were wiped out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's politics - Vivendi Universal have decided that Sierra have had too much freedom for too long, and are pulling the whole kit'n'kaboodle into the main company. Sierra itself will continue only as a brand of Vivendi.

As for Dynamix... Tribes 2 was a shambles, commercially and in terms of support. It's no shock to see them go, given how badly mismanaged T2 was - and you can blame Sierra all you like, but the game should NOT have taken that long to produce. They messed around far too much and did far too little work, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Personally I think Dynamic made a good stab at writing a new team based game. I believe that a lot of the problems in T2 are down to the muppets who play it. it's sad to see any company go under, but it's not going to be last one. I'd much prefare to see companies who churn out sequel rubbish like westwood disappear rather than someone trying to make something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrTimewalk:
    Personally I think Dynamic made a good stab at writing a new team based game. I believe that a lot of the problems in T2 are down to the muppets who play it.</font>

You have to be kidding me!
    I got te game right after beer lan.....I beleave it was just out then, played it for about a week........and after an upgrade it never worked again, even doing updates every week I still get UE errors..........Afer spending good money on it.........I'm glad to see them gone!

WE ARE NOT BETA TESTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Tribes 1 was great though, wasn't it?

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just to add to the fun...
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/50/21066.html

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Tis a shame because think of the games Dynamix coulda kept churning out with the same caliber as Tribes and the T2 engine! Maybe T2 wasnt the best but it WAS Quality gear. I was hoping they would bring other games like that out with other themes etc like CS with the Graphics quality of T2 or that kinda hybrid. Pitty is all i can say about it!

MMhmm This IS a tasty burger!!

Well the tribes 2 engine (v12) is available to anyone who wants it for 99 dollars from www.garagegames.com , so all is not lost for games based on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Wow tribes2, hmm
    i reformated my computer and its like the game vanished from my memory biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

I heard Sierra forced Dynamix to release T2 before it was ready. Or is that some other company...?

yes they did.
    the game was not running on approx 50% of meta testers machine when it went gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

so it was sierras fvck up ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

Seirra went down the drain after Half-Lfie but they gave us the best game in history to this date Counter-Stike If there was no Seirra there would be no cs biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by [-Morpheus-] (edited 29-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

ARGH CS ITS EVERY WHERE !!!!!! jeez lads play TFC,much more fun smile.gif

Advertisement