Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT - Happily ignoring the ASAI

Options
  • 18-08-2004 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

EsatBt seem to being naughty of late. They are ignoring the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland. This is not a good sign.

From the ASAI's own website:
    The Complaints Committee noted that there had been considerable delays on the part of the advertisers in responding to complaints in 5 separate cases in the past year.

http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20040308111245

You can find the EsatBT complaints in the archive here:
    http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/index.tmpl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They are grossly non compliant, must email Bill about it. Eircom have actually improved since the new marketing fella took over this time last year and sacked the Rat and the Rats inventors .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I felt the UTV advertising is also misleading and less than upfront. Only on closer examination of the offer do you realise that the offer is part of a bundle. True competition should allow you choose the best Internet and telephony providers separately if necessary.

yeah right BrianD, you noticed it so you did precisely what about it ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Muck wrote:
    They are grossly non compliant, must email Bill about it. Eircom have actually improved since the new marketing fella took over this time last year and sacked the Rat and the Rats inventors .

M

I'm told that Bill has already made sure this will not occur in future.

About Eircom's "improvement": They respond – and what's ASAI to do about a complaint, when they get an answer like this (about the complaint that Eircom are misleading when they are saying in an ad that they have over one million broadband lines and thus broadband is available to the vast majority of their customers)?
    "We had over 1.1 million lines connected to broadband capable exchanges as of the date of the advertisement in question. As they are all capable of running broadband, we stand over our claim that over a million lines are broadband enabled."
    ASAI have no means to see the absurdity of Eircom's response. They know nothing about the difference between a line originating from a bb enabled exchange and a real broadband line, one that actually passes the line test, and have to take Eircom's response at face value.

P.

ALL of Eircoms ads were untruthful about 1 to 2 years ago, now its only MOST of them .

ESAT have very simple products and should not need to elaborate on them.....never mind lie. Their current FREE TRIAL ad comes to mind as a simple product with a simple message and a truthful one too, more of that please Bill .

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not a very constructive remark Muck. I didn't make a complaint to the ASAI or any other body. I was going to sign up and I made a decision not to. I would be reluctant to sign up to a UTV service on the basis of these adverts - my business remains elsewhere.

Advertisement