Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trails

Options
  • 18-08-2004 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hey Guys/Girls,

I'm trying to get back into the cycling routine again. Is there any chance that you guys would know where I'd get a list of Trails around Carlow or North Dublin. If you don't is there any chance you can pont me in a direction where I would find any.

Thanks again
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

is this for road cycling or cross country?

KR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Cycling the various roads that go up Killeshin is great. It's a nice climb and there are great views over parts of Carlow and Laois. Anytime I'm back down in Carlow now, I always try and cycle up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

King Raam wrote:
    is this for road cycling or cross country?

KR

A bit of both to be honest

da_deadman wrote:
    Cycling the various roads that go up Killeshin is great. It's a nice climb and there are great views over parts of Carlow and Laois. Anytime I'm back down in Carlow now, I always try and cycle up there.

I need to get a map of Carlow to find that. But if your interest in a Cycling partner gimme a shout!

I like to cycle on the trails in Howth. If it is a hot sunny day (weekend) then you can forget about it because the trails will be covered with walkers, but on more overcast days it is fine (esp week days). There are 3 different areas that I go to.

1. The cliff walk
    You can either start at the Summit and head to the lighthouse or down the other way towards the village
    2. The Very top
    The are 3 or 4 different trails here, they bring you up between the golf courses
    3. Near the Martello Tower on the Dublin Bay side (just the one trail here)

none of them are very long, but they can be fun!

KR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

There's one as you are going up howth head heading to the summit, in the 40mph zone the road sweeps to the left. Just before the sweep to the left, you take the left going up to a residential area (very nice rich residential area!). Keep following the road and as you get to the top of a very steep and narrow road there is a farmers gate on the left. I sometimes go cycling round there, parts of the cycle meets the golf course. Also its were the big aerials are located

ando wrote:
    Keep following the road and as you get to the top of a very steep and narrow road there is a farmers gate on the left. I sometimes go cycling round there, parts of the cycle meets the golf course. Also its were the big aerials are located

I like heading down the trail towards that gate, it's nice and fast! Also, there are some steep bits near the aerials which are fun for sliding down on the bike.
    You know the bit where you are near one of the tee boxes of Howth Golf Course? Well, from there (and from a lot of other places) you can see another hill on the other side of the course. How do you get to that hill easily? I guess you could go across the golf course, but there are men with metal sticks and they might hit things at me if I get in the way!

I've been up to Howth a few time for a cycle but I've never knew there were many trail but there are they on the area 50 OS map ??? I'd love to try them sometime they'll probably kick my ass :(

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

yo,

go to http://www.mtbireland.com and ask the question on their rider talkback forum.

most of the mountain bike riders in the country hang out at this forum and you'll get the best answers there.

Advertisement