Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line test

• 18-08-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how long it takes for a new phone line to appear on the database the ISP's use for radsl line tests? Had a line installed within 5 minutes walk of the exchange in Carlow last week, but it just comes up as failed on all the ISP sites.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It took 4 months before my line showed up on Eircom's DB, and then it failed.

****ing ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From what we can gather, they're run every 4-5 weeks. They won't tell us the schedule though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Collina

After 1 month of using the standard bb test (check your line) for your phone line and failing, I tried the test (dsl trigger program) to find out the exchange that my phoneline was connected to.

After doing that test and finding out my exchange, 30 minutes later I retried the standard bb test for the line and it miraculously passed.

Coincidence ? Or just Eircom's crap databases ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Eircom's databases are indeed crap. I spent 3 months hassling them to get my line tested, on a phone line which I had got installed a month beforehand. They kept saying 'no results available' (that shows up as a fail online). When I eventually wrote a letter, they sorted it. Its not that the line wasn't tested, they mumbled something like the line had been tested but wasn't showing up when you query the database, because the test result was only stored in a different database or something ridiculous. Basically, if you're still getting no test results available after a long time, theres probably a minor technical problem at the exchange which the sales people aren't going to be able to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ah, what a little lying will do!
    Rang eircom.net sales today under the pretense of being interested in ordering eircom bb, of course sir its no problem to have your line tested manually, we will ring you back in a day or two with the results!
    Thanks eircom, but you're not getting my business! You get enough from the line rental anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Stephen,
    Your only problem now will be that if eircon pass the line they will reserve it for eircon BB. Meaning when you goto any other provider, they have to request that Eircon release the line, Eircon will then "rush" to do this (after a few months).

(uh oh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Collina

You might get away with it.

After I eventually got Eircom to reconnect the phoneline in my new place, I didn't have my account number as I hadn't yet signed Direct Debit forms - so I rang up asking the account number saying I needed it to order BB (I didn't mention with Esat) - They practically leapt down the line to give my account details.

If I rang them without mentioning getting BB, they probably wouldn't have given it - "Can't give account info over the phone".

Ordered online with Esat that day and got BB within a month.

I think we did get away with it :)

Ordered dsl from IOL last night. Found the letter from eircom demanding half of the install fee up front in our mailbox too :/

Advertisement