Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL modem/router/wireless

Options
  • 18-08-2004 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a wireless router that has a DSL modem built in as well for that all-i-one package. 11mbs is fine enough for me
    I know of the Dlink 604+.
    Are tere any others.

Cheers

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Linksys have the WAG54g - its 11g and has 4 ethernet ports as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009ZK4N/qid=1092828508/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_0_16/026-7108241-0497230

I was a bit skeptical having never heard of the company, but it works great. UI isn't overly user friendly, but it supports all the usual WEP, MAC filtering, port forwarding, firewall, DHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Netgear DG834G is quite good plus as it runs embedded linux if you do a bit of digging ye can find out how to telnet into it. i have my one in my attic for internet connection and have a wirless connection to my room using a Netgear WGE101 which i've got a 5port gigabit switch plug into as well as my unix workstation and from time to time my laptop

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=223&view=

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I may be selling my 802.11b Netgear DG824M, however it won't be until I replace it so this might not suit you (it will probably be a month). I'm considering moving to 802.11g so that I can stream video from my PVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Thanks all for the info

blorg - I'd be very interested in the "802.11b Netgear DG824M". What price have you got in mind.

• Advertisement

Hmm, well possibly around €100 as the cheapest Netgear with built-in ADSL on elara.ie at the moment appears to be €170 (that's for a 'G'). You have to watch out for the much cheaper 'Cable/DSL broadband routers' as sold on Komplett as they need you to plug in a seperate ethernet ADSL modem.

But it will depend on how much I can get a 'G' replacement for, and what the 'going rate' is; and it will be at least a month (I will want to have the new one set up before I let this one go) so you might want to get something sooner.

seamus wrote:
    I have this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009ZK4N/qid=1092828508/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_0_16/026-7108241-0497230

I was a bit skeptical having never heard of the company, but it works great. UI isn't overly user friendly, but it supports all the usual WEP, MAC filtering, port forwarding, firewall, DHCP.

Buffalo are a very well known brand in networking, at least at the SOHO end of the market. I wouldn't be skeptical!

Advertisement