Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my first fitz...tomorrow night

Options
  • 18-08-2004 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

'lo all. i'm relatively new here, especially to the poker forum.
    i'm heading to the fitz to play in the free-in tomorrow night. i play a good bit online (usually $2-4 max s'n'gs and a few tournaments if i'm feeling lucky) but its not the same rush and excitement as real face-to-face poker. this will be my first time in a real card room but i'm looking forward to it. just reading through all the threads here at the minute and checking out suitedaces.com ...i'd love to start playin in the BSOP whenever its running from the start again so hopefully i'll get to know a few of you all in the near future from the fitz and merrion and you'll let me join.

anyway, i'm gonna start off with a few freerolls at the fitz to just to get into the swing of it but thought i might as well introduce myself here first as there seems to be a lot of boards people that head to the fitz on a regular basis. my name's patrick so go easy on me if i come up against you... ;)

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We also often sit outside Larry Murphys or The Henry Grattan which are just around the corner up on Baggot St having a swift half. There are SNGs from 4 in the Fitz on Thursday now and I tend to wander in there for a game on the way home from work. Definitely a relaxed atmosphere and a bit of craic for a tenner!
    Say hi a some stage if you see me.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭staringelf

i will indeed. cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

DeVore wrote:
    Say hi a some stage if you see me.
    DeV.
    Tom will be the trash talking fish who has some poor unfortunate pinned down telling them Bad Beat #1337
    You can't miss him unfortunately :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

K10.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Kj

J.p.

• Advertisement

FU.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

;)

Jp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

lol.

Karlh

well my first fitz (first time in ANY cardroom) was last night in the freeroll tournie and i think i can safely say it went rather rather well.
    i finished in the top 4 out of about 60 odd players and won myself a lovely ticket into next thursday nights big €250 game. sweeeeet!
    i didn't even rebuy once, just the top-up, and i was chip leader at my table going into the freezeout with about 13k in chips.

i can't actually remember many of the hands i had now because everything was such a blur, just trying to get a handle on things really. my flops were all pretty generous for the most part through i did get stung badly once or twice....one time in particular at the final table where i had a straight and was beaten by a flush on the river. aaaggh!

a good experience though, everybody seemed really friendly and there was a good bit of banter and trash talking at the tables which i decided to stay out of for the most part for fear of being out of my depth. :) couple of really funny characters who did a lot of table talk . i think one guy was called lesley. tom was another i was told to look out for and i think i was at a table with him for a while. they seemed good fun.

i think i'll be making it a habit to head to the thursday night games from now on. overall, i couldn't have asked for a better night. looking forward to next thursday and getting trounced by a load of sharks most likely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

This is indentical to my first Fitz experience except I had about 10k after the break. It's all downhill from there.

MrP

• Advertisement

staringelf wrote:
    tom was another i was told to look out for

Is he the guy who rants a lot about being beaten against the odds and the like.......is that him??

Don't mind him, he's harmless really......he's all talk.......a terrible player by all accounts!

;)

karlh wrote:
    Is he the guy who rants a lot about being beaten against the odds and the like.......is that him??

Don't mind him, he's harmless really......he's all talk.......a terrible player by all accounts!

;)

:) i think that was him. he did a bit of ranting and went out early enough after the freezeout from what i can recall

best reply ever.

LOL

I really didn't prompt him to say that.....

staringelf wrote:
    he did a bit of ranting and went out early enough after the freezeout from what i can recall
    Yep that's definitely him..

Was he dealing for you? I think I remember him.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Well done on getting a ticket. Were you the person to the right of the dealer?
    I was in seat three. Was happy to get a ticket, tis only my second one, But first win on a thursday so I'm happy.

Was a good night overall, I was up and down like a yoyo for most of it. Got AK in BB shortstacked , went all in and filled the nut straight. Was nice as it meant I could hang around on the final table to get decent cards to play. Got QQ in fairly late position and got called by JJ which meant I could sit pretty and wait for my ticket. Whoever the guy was to my left that wouldn't make a deal to split it into 5 tickets must be regretting it now. He made a terrible call when he hit middle pair and Alex went all in on top pair. Left him with 500 when the average stack was about 20k.

Good night but I can't play my ticket until end of next month as I'm not around next Thursday :/

yep that was me to the right of the dealer. :)
    yeah that guy who wouldn't make a deal must be sick...
    i think he got a bit mad though went i took nearly half his stack when i went all in and he didn't call. the flop was J88 and i think he thought i had an 8 so when i showed him just the KJ i could tell he was a bit pissed. i reckon he had AJ
    think it put him on tilt a bit and thats why he called the other guy with only middle pair in the hand after that...
    good luck in the 250 next month. i'm sure i'll be out first on thursday but i'll let yiz know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Hi Lads,

Never played in a live game yet, but been playing for the last month or so on Betfair, can hold my own in the Single Table Tourneys, but get fleeced on the cash games.

I'm dying to play at a real game, is The Fitz the place to go, what night is best for a novice?

All the best

Culchie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

As mentioned in the thread above the Thursday night is good to start plus, in theory, you can play for nothing, but re-buy's costing only €10. Its where most of us too got our first taste of real world poker, and also where most of us met first. Hope to play against you soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Foxy2004

Hello to all,

Just wonder what you all reckon I should do!

I play some online poker (party poker) at the moment, but want to start playing in a card club...

Saw on the Fitz website that they are starting a poker school, and was thinking about joining it, just to get into the swing on things in the Fitz!

Just looking for some of your sound advice as to whether I should go to the poker school or just go on a thursday night, as most of you have said you did when starting??!!

None of my mates are into poker (wrecks my head!) and I want to have a buzz at a few games, so also wondering whether I should try drag someone along, or how things work there!!...

Would appreciate some answers as I was goin to pay the deposit before the end of the week, if at all!!...

Thanks, looking forward to hearing..

• Advertisement

Give the thursday freeroll or the sunday evening freeroll at 6pm a try before you sign up for the poker school.

Advertisement