Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling XP home

Options
  • 18-08-2004 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

I have a strong suspicion that this might be a slightly stupid question, but I want to uninstall XP home off a machine and replace it with 2k. However, I'm unsure how to uninstall XP. Windows itself and the MS site says to go to add/remove programs and remove it there, but of course Windows XP dosen't show up in the list. There is also a command line option, (system32/osuninst.exe) but I think this will only work if the os has been upgraded from a previous version which this one hasn't and it says that the necessary registry information is unavailable. Can someone tell me how to remove the damn thing please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Are you talking about the OS or one of the office programs? If its just the OS, stick in the 2k disc, reboot, format over the XP partition and install 2k there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

After you backup your data, pop in the bootable hologrammed CD that came in the Windows 2000 box, reboot, and select to boot from CD.
    Then after a few screens you will be asked if you want to partition your machine, at this point select to format your current C drive, and then W2K setup will continue.

That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Well I knew I could format, but wanted to do it without that if possible, as there is quite a lot of data on it that i'd rather save and it's going to be a pain in the a*s to backup.

Talking about the OS Fenster and the drive isn't partitioned. Perhaps I'll have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

This makes it more difficult, and it's unsupported.

The best & supported way to do is backup (burn to CD/DVD) your data then reformat & install.

The unsupported scenario is to backup data to a folder somewhere in the root of your C drive, boot with a Win98 boot disk (if your drive is FAT32) and then delete the Windows, Program Files & Documents and Settings folders.
    Then start the reinstall, without formatting using the W2K CD.

Again, I reiterate that this is 100% unsuported, and any issues that you have later on with your system may not be 100% resolved until you perform a proper installation.

Advertisement