Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivering to Residences - It's not Rocket Science!!!

Options
  • 18-08-2004 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Why have none of the delivery companies figured this out?

If you deliver to a residence between the hours of 8:30 to 18:00 chances are that there will be nobody home.

Therefore does it not make sense to deliver to residences between the hours of 18:00 to 21:30?

This would cancel out the need for all those annoying 'Delivery Attempted' notes, drivers having to make at least two trips to each residence, wasted warehouse space and a whole host of other problems this causes.

Surely there are plenty of drivers who would like to work those hours as opposed to the 6am shift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

You would think that, but usaully the most sensible option is never chosen...

Some people.. eh... :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Aye.. but why do people choose to get stuff delivered to their house when they know they'll be at work ? I usually get anything big delivered to work. If there is a chance it might get customs duty I get it sent to home in the knowledge I'll have to collect it ...

When I worked in Germany (1990) it used be possible to collect packages from the post office which was open until late evening - here in Ireland the sorting offices where you can collect undelivered packages are generally only open during working hours (My local one which deals with packets (not parcels) opens at 6am which is handy but then packets are usually deliveredbefore 8am anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

parsi wrote:
    Aye.. but why do people choose to get stuff delivered to their house when they know they'll be at work ? I usually get anything big delivered to work. If there is a chance it might get customs duty I get it sent to home in the knowledge I'll have to collect it ...

What if it is not possible to have it delivered to your work.

Tesco, Superquinn and the other online grocery stores offer deliveries up until late in the evening which works out brilliant. If your not there they go off and deliver somewhere else before coming back instead of leaving one of those poxy notes.

I think I'll start up in competition to DHL. Only delivering 6pm to 9pm.

Might need a new bike though... better check out Ranelagh Cycles after work.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

But will you be able to deliver big boxes like we all order from JEs and Komplett ? It might be a bit of a balancing act on yer bike... :-)

Guys like GLS etc started out as competition but they just don't have the scope (or ability it sometimes seems) to provide the service - certainly there is a niche for evening deliveries - I think I saw it available on some UK websites (broadbandbuyer ?) - even Saturday delivery would be handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I could buy a bike with a basket for delivering boxes. Might look girly but its functional (and no matter what anyone says, a bell is essential safety kit on a bike).

Really though, saturday deliveries is just common sense. US Post deliver on saturdays, as do Royal Mail AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I think the daytime delivery is a legacy from the days when married women were effectively prevented from working and so there was usually somebody at home to receive mail. Seems that the post office system has not moved with the times, alongside Dublin Bus etc etc.

Evening delivery would be more expensive, but with SDS (which was a lot cheaper and better than most couriers I dealt with) being scaled back altogether its even more unlikely to happen. Its frustrating if you don't have a fixed workplace or don't drive to move large items.

Whats more annoying is that the opening hours in some delivery centres are ridiculous and increasing they are being located in ludicrously hard to reach places totally inaccessible to anybody who hasn't their own transport. When I grew up in Swords we had a local delivery office about a 15 minute walk from most parts of the town, and I remember when I lived in Rathmines the delievery office was open as early as 7am, handy to pick up your photos or whatever on the way to work. But in Cork city there is a huge delivery office in Churchfield, not only in an extremely hard to find industrial estate, marooned from public transport, but also closing at 2pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah Royal mail deliver on Saturdays. I am still amazed how much I miss this since moving down here from the North.

MrP

Advertisement