Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matlab

Options
  • 18-08-2004 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if MATLAB programming is hard? Also any good MATLAB tutorials out there to get me started? Thanks :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I hated Matlab programming but if you get a good tutorial and if you've a good grasp of Maths then it's a very good language. It's rated as being very powerful etc.

I've no links to tutorials but you may find some if you go to DCU's engineering page (www.eeng.dcu.ie) and look for Prof. Noel Murphys page.

Like I said - I hated it but I wasn't much for maths ;)

< edit >

hmmm, seems the site has since changed - will see if I can find anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

I did it also and didn't like it. Its used in college a lot-more of an academics tool rather than an industry specific application.
    Its great for any type of dsp/numerical computing and for producing graphs.

Theres not much help on the internet apart from the official site
    http://www.mathworks.com/

The "help" command is very useful also, as are the pdf documents.

There are 2 cds that come with it, the 2nd is full of help pdf documents explaining the types of commands in detail.

I prefer Java..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you have engineering maths (DSP or similar) to do then MatLab is an incredibly powerful package. You can also do some interesting things by hooking it up to external devices.

Syntactically it's quite simple. If you have much programming experience in other languages it should be a very simple transition. The main difficulty (apart from the maths you may need to understand in order to make best use of it) is getting used to using all the built in functions, toolboxes, etc. The MatLab interpreter has a reasonably decent built in help system for the commands.

One piece of advice from my college days. Never (ever) accidentally move a graph plot statement inside a for loop that is processing a very large sample of speech. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Thanks lads. I want to use it for a speech recognition/dsp project. I don't know much about it to be honest but I have to start somewhere. Thanks again!! :)

• Advertisement

As far as I recall once you've figured out the syntax and the correct functions (I never did :D ) the only limiting factor is your math abilities - well worth the effort if that's what you wanna do ;)

For anyone who's interested in an open source (Linux/Unix but I think it can be gotten to run on Windows) MatLab alternative GNU Octave is worth a look. I've never used it, but to the best of my knowledge it provides a high degree of MatLab compatability.

Has anyone used Matlab for speech recognition? I think what I have to do is to write code in Matlab and then "convert" it to C or C++ somehow:confused: . I am just about to start it (hopefully) in 3 weeks. Im just trying to get a background. Thanks.

Afaik there are Matlab to C/C++ cross compilers available. I've no idea how good they are. I think MathWorks have one they make for MatLab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I had to do about 2 months of Matlab for a maths physics course. I found it kinda easy to use, though to be fair we didn't even scratch the surface, and I do find it quite easy to pick up programming languages. It was fun, but obviously I didn't use any of it's more advanced features.

• Advertisement

Cheers every1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shirley

http://www.cs.may.ie/~amooney/matlab.doc

not sure if you can view it outside the college but give it a bash

shirls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Matlab is funny.
    Type why at the command line.

It is actually very powerfull, especially for analysis of hugh amounts of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Matlab is very powerful for matrix manipulation stuff, graphing, practical maths.

It's not quite so good for large programs (use C++) or symbolic integration etc (Use Mathematica/Maple).

Play around with it for a day or two, it's not hard to pick up especially if you know 1st-year maths and programming.

I recommend the book 'Mastering Matlab 6' as a reference.

Hi All,

Many thanks for all help.

Just wondering could anyone tell me about building a fornt end processor for speech recognition in Matlab. Really I want the steps to do. I am going to use MFCC. What is the first step.? I presume it is to open a speech file and find the FFT(fast fourrier transform) of it ?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 NiceGuyEddy

You need to get the fast fourier transform of it... can u not just take the speech in sections like say over 5 seconds and take the FFT of it at each step?
    Then you'll have the frequency domain for that section... then just keep on doing that and adding the fd to each other.

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for all advice so far.

I have a differential equation:

y(n)=((0.69*x(n-1))+(0.4947*y(n-2))+(1.368*y(n-1))+(0.368*x(n-2)));

I want to plot y against n where n will be from 0 to 40. I want a point graph of the output y for various values of n.

I have written the code below but I am getting a lot of errors. :( Does anyone know where Im going wrong and how I can fix it. My code is shown below. Thanks a lot :) .

x(-1)=0;
    y(-1)=0;
    y(-2)=0;

for n=1:40

x(n)=1;

y(n)=((0.69*x(n-1))+(0.4947*y(n-2))+(1.368*y(n-1))+(0.368*x(n-2)));

end

plot(n,y);
    grid on;
    axis([min(time_axis), max(time_axis), min(x)*1.2, max(x)*1.2]);
    xlabel('Sample Count (n)');
    ylabel('O/P (Y)');
    title('Generate O/P');

By the way I forgot to say in my last message that the input is a unit step (i.e. x=1 for n=0 or n=positive and x=0 for negative values of n)

Thanks

Advertisement