Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking an Athlon xp2500+

Options
  • 18-08-2004 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭

I just managed to blow my old 300w codegen (ewwww yes i know) trying to overclock my athlon 2500+ barton (unlocked) to 3200+. Was just wondering, i have 512mbs of 2100 ddr ram *i think* two sticks in a dual channel configuration. I am using an abit nf7 motherboard and a 160gig hdd. Was wondering how to overclocked this processor successfully as in the bios i dont really have to mess with any fsb settings or what i can just select to run it as a 3200+. But as i did this the last time and my codegen blew after about a day and a half, how do i do it successfully. Stock fan tho so that might be a problem (but i doubt it). Just got a new 450w psu aswell. Any comments or ideas welcome as to how i can do this successfully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

I presume you set the memory speed lower than the CPU FSB as the 2500 @ 3200 runs at 200Mhz and your ram is 2100. Your stock fan shouldnt really be a problem unless you bought a crappy one did you check the temps after you overclocked the cpu???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I think my memory is 2100, but i'm not sure, it's 233mhz ddr anyways if that counts. Just transfered all my new components back into the pc (bloody hate transplanting motherboards) and everything is ok running stock. I didn't no, i suppose i should have. Also, what would have causes the psu to fail? Sure it was a codegen but have had no trouble till now and have had it 3 years now. Just too much juice wanting to be pulled from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

some PSU's have a temp diode that cuts the power if it gets too hot inside the unit could have been just a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Nah it didn't work properly the next morning either. It was still supplying power, the system just refused to boot when i pressed the power on button. Dunno why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

You need programmes such as prime95 and memtest86 maybe sisandra.After every 5mhz increase test the system with both.If your system can last 24hrs of prime95 torture test you can consider it stable

• Advertisement
Advertisement