Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Car audio/mp3 player

• 18-08-2004 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for an in-car mp3/cd player and was going to buy from http://www.cel-direct.com/ as they have very good prices. However, they charge £30 post to Ireland and they also don't allow posting to an alternate address. So anyone any suggestions for web sites, or shops in Ireland :D , that sell cheep?
    I'm looking at a Sony CDX-F7500 which is €430 in Argos but is £185 from cel-direct, about €110 cheeper even with the post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

try this site , http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/catsearch.php?subtype=MP3 , i got a panasonic mp3/cd player of them last year and happy with it. i think its now called cq-c1400 now on that site(was called panasonic rdp383n). but the panasonic cq-c1300 model is much the same only for it has 1 pre-out and and 4x45 watts power, about 151 euro incl. delivery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The importer of Kenwood car system is in Ballymount Industrial Estate. I got a nice 5.1 system that plays MP3s for Euro 210 from them about 2 months back (it was a special offer- not sure what the regular price is).
    They do deal with the public though.

S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I got a CDX-F7500 from incarexpress a good while back for about the price you mentioned for cel-direct so it could have gone down by now (they were just out when I got mine). It's a great deal, it has most of the same stuff as Sonys top range models (ranging up to about €1000), the main differences being the screen and 2v pre outs instead of 4v in the higher models, but that only really matters if your hooking seperate amps up. Some people say to avoid Sony like the plague but I've been very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thanks for that, I just placed my order. They were a little more expensive for the player I was looking for but the post was only £11, plus they have the accessories like remote controls which I also wanted.
    Stevenmu, didn't see your reply before mine, anyway thanks. I had a Sony mp3 player before and it was perfect, played all discs no problem so that's why I'm after a Sony again. I have a cheapo Goodmans one from Argos at the moment but it's crap. Corrupts the sound on half the mp3s and even has problems with audio CDs too. It's going back for a refund as soon as the Sony arrives now. I had a Goodmans player a few years back too and it had the same problems, thought they would have been better by now but obviously not.

(edited typo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Jor_El, going OT here a little, but your experience struck a chord. I have tried playing an MP3 CD in a Goodmans car audio system, and like you, it has a lot of trouble. However, I also tried the same disc in a Sony DVD player, with similar results - skipping, pausing, basically not playing the songs properly.

Menawhile the Goodmans (and the Sony DVD for that matter) is fine for all normal CDs.

That is why I had concluded that either my CD-Writer, or the brand of CD I was using was faulty.

I would be curious to know if you experimented with different CD brands, etc.

Mucho Garcias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Genghis wrote:
    Jor_El, going OT here a little, but your experience struck a chord. I have tried playing an MP3 CD in a Goodmans car audio system, and like you, it has a lot of trouble. However, I also tried the same disc in a Sony DVD player, with similar results - skipping, pausing, basically not playing the songs properly.

Menawhile the Goodmans (and the Sony DVD for that matter) is fine for all normal CDs.

That is why I had concluded that either my CD-Writer, or the brand of CD I was using was faulty.

I would be curious to know if you experimented with different CD brands, etc.

Mucho Garcias.

I have the same problems with a mp3 cd walkman (rio volt) some discs just will not play properly, bizarrely enough I had a stock of crap old cds and mp3s burned on them play perfectly, the only thing is to try a few different brands/dyes and see if the player likes one particular one. I don't think that is faulty discs as most other players had the opposite response to those cheap discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Pressed cds seem to be much better in car systems than burned ones. My sony car cd player is pretty good with cd-r discs but it will skip on the odd bad pothole while it never skips with pressed cds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Same with a Kenwood.

S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I heard somewhere that the older sonys had a problem with skipping. I've never had a single skip with the CDX-F7500, they have some new s-drive system in all their players now which is the business. I've used a few brands of cheapo cd-r and they all seemed fine. They say in the manual there may be some skipping with 320kbs mp3s, I've only tried one or two but they seemed fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The problem I hear is a chirping sound, not really skipping, on MP3 discs. It's the same if you have a corrupt mp3 on a computer (like if the HD has bad sectors and the mp3 is in that). This happens randomly, not at the same point in any song if I repeat it, or rewind it. It also didn't matter what discs I used, cheapo silver top or good quality Datawrite and Whitelabel discs. I had no problems at all with my Sony CDX-MP30 on any of the discs. The new Goodmans one is also giving trouble with audio discs, skipping and jumping aswell as random noise over the tracks. Anyway, my Sony F7500 should arrive any day now so hopefully it'll be OK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement