Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adbusters - More help needed from you

Options
  • 18-08-2004 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Yet more help is needed from the membership.

If you see or here any ads for EsatBT or Eircom about broadband or net access can you report about them here. We need to know where you saw or heard them and the content of these ads.

Thanks,
    Damien.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Conventional media ads that is.

Radio, television and print. Web based aren't covered by ASAI afaik

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

jwt wrote:
    Web based aren't covered by ASAI afaik

They do cover email so I would think they've progressed to website ads. But this collection is not just for complaints to the ASAI anyway. There are other plans for this. Can you guess what they are Eircom ? And you EsatBT ? Can you huh huh huh huh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

jwt wrote:
    Radio, television and print. Web based aren't covered by ASAI afaik
    Doesn't make much difference - the ASAI are a sad joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

From the ASAI web site:

"The Code of Advertising Standards applies to commercial advertisements, i.e. those which promote the sale of a product or service. The Code defines an advertisement as a paid-for communication addressed to the public or a section of it. It is characteristic of an advertisement that the advertiser engages media to communicate a commercial message.

Non-commercial advertisements, i.e. those which express the advertiser's position on a political, religious, industrial relations, social or aesthetic matter or an issue of public concern, are not subject to the Code."

So web banner ads would be covered but offers communicated by e-mail (assuming you have opted to receive them) would come under the remit of Direct Marketing.

This link may also be useful:

http://www.ecic.ie/consumer/misleading_info/mli_1.htm

Remember the ASAI has no basis in law - it is the advertising industry practicing "self regulation".

If the advert is broadcast on Radio and Tv, you can try the Broadcasting Complaints Commission www.bcc.ie They allow complaints about ads if they breach the following:

"E. Advertising, Teleshopping, Sponsorship
    & Commercial Promotion Codes
    There is an established Code of Standards, Practice and Prohibition in Advertising, Sponsorship and other forms of Commercial Promotion in Broadcasting Services that all broadcasters must adhere to. A copy of such Code, and the relevant appendices to this code, is available on request from the BCC or on this site, advertcodes. "

The BCC have some useful links to the relevant Codes of Practice and legislation on the site.

This link may also be useful: http://www.ecic.ie/consumer/misleading_info/mli_1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, the most obvious first...

http://home.iol.ie/images/468x136banner.swf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Ok
    so the far in afaik is about the end of my nose :D

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    If you see or here any ads for EsatBT or Eircom about broadband or net access can you report about them here. We need to know where you saw or heard them and the content of these ads.
    Or any other telco or ISP ads that you feel may be misleading...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The ASAI code has separate sections for ADS and for PROMOTIONS. The ASAI treats an AD on YOUR OWN WEBSITE as a PROMOTION while it is an AD on every other website.

Promotions are also covered by the IDMA http://www.idma.ie/ code of practise. If you have a complaint about an Eircom promotion (by email for example) you may complain to the ASAI and to the IDMA at the same time.

The IDMA require that you notify the Eircom compliance officer (from what I can make out ) before you complain to them direct. The Eircom contact is lkirwan@eircom.ie IIRC . I detailed the whole thing in a post a few months back but cannot search for the damn thing anymore since the upgrade :(

Ripwave is correct in saying the ASAI are a joke.

M

Muck wrote:
    Ripwave is correct in saying the ASAI are a joke.

They agreed again ! Once more and the worlds f**ked lads ! According to the prophecy:
    Thrice their voice rang true as one and then the gate to hell was opened and apocalypse did begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I saw the Esat Ad for 'free boradband' trial on RTE this morning at around 11:30. It's the one with the word 'free' behaving like a dog. It implies that Esat are the only company offering a truely free BB trial. While this may be true in relation to the Eircom offer, I'm not sure it is entirely fair when compared to UTV.

Hope this helps

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Just a quick qustion on this.. why are you chasing up the isps on these ad's ? I am not asking this to wind people up.. I am genuinely curious. Are the aims of Ireland offline not to promote the use of interweb/broadband (I know that does not cover all/main aims of IOFL but it is one of them?)

These ads promote brodaband/interweb get people interested that before might have not been, if they sign up after the 3 month free trail then great, even if they are not able to take up the offer because of poor line quality etc then they might stumble accross IOFL and more people are interested in your campaign.

Why are people complaining against that IOL ad.. ok I see the point that UTV are offering the same thing or better.. but is it not up to UTV to fight there own battles?? I just think this is a bit of a pointless exercise as regards IOFL why not concetrate on things that matter.. not what advertising campaign each ISP is running.

There is an intersting article here talking about how DSL is being

Where did someone attack the IOl ad ? I asked (in the interest of fairness) for all ads by the ISPs. Promoting broadband is great, the more the companies do that the better. The Government should be promoting it too. However if their ads are misleading or untrue that there is a problem. The public should not be misled. That's why I'm gathering all ads and then I'll factcheck them all.

If you think they don't mislead in their ads then check out www.asai.ie for rulings against Eircom and EsatBT.

If you are worried on how IOFFL spends it's time you can help decide how we do things in the future at the EGM. Will you come along ? Also if you want to volunteer some of your time (say 2-3 hours) email research@irelandOffline.org

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Are the aims of Ireland offline not to promote the use of interweb/broadband (I know that does not cover all/main aims of IOFL but it is one of them?)
    Yes. However untruthful ads are not a form of promotion IrelandOffline could possibly support.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Mr_Man wrote:
    I saw the Esat Ad for 'free boradband' trial on RTE this morning at around 11:30. It's the one with the word 'free' behaving like a dog. It implies that Esat are the only company offering a truely free BB trial. While this may be true in relation to the Eircom offer, I'm not sure it is entirely fair when compared to UTV.
    I heard this ad on the radio yesterday, and it clear that you can avail of ESAT/IOLs free trial without any conditions - UTV require you to switch you calls over to UTV to avail of the free trial.

I'd have to say that, on that basis, the ESAT/IOL ad is fair.

Advertisement