Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst road sign in Ireland

Options
  • 18-08-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I'd like to suggest the *missing* road sign as you come off the M1 from the south to go to the airport - you're going around the roundabout, and the exit for the airport has no sign to say "Airport this way". An arrow on the far side of the exit pointing down towards the airport would be a big help, especially to the poor baffled foreigners trying to find their way back to their plane.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

luckat wrote:
    especially to the poor baffled foreigners trying to find their way back to their plane.

maybe that's the whole idea, keep them here so we can rip them off some more!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

luckat wrote:
    I'd like to suggest the *missing* road sign as you come off the M1 from the south to go to the airport - you're going around the roundabout, and the exit for the airport has no sign to say "Airport this way". An arrow on the far side of the exit pointing down towards the airport would be a big help, especially to the poor baffled foreigners trying to find their way back to their plane.
    Isn't that deliberate? Because they were meant to use the previous exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Don't know about that particular sign, but road signage in Ireland is dire overall.

I'm currently in New Zealand and EVERY road - including roads in the middle of nowhere - are well signposted !

We have a long way to go back home !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

It's probably gone now but years ago I had to commute to Athlone from Dublin. (1995). After the first week I noticed in Kinnegad a sign that read "Sligo 278KM". 10 - 20 metres to the left was a sign that read "Sligo 272 Km" - that has to be in the worst top 10.

I didn't perceive any worm-holes in space-time between the signs - just imagine some CC hands/sub-contractors putting up the second of the two signs - noticing the first - "Will we tell the bollix?" - "Nah!" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Hi,

This reminds me of a funny sign I seen, it was pointing towards Rathfarnham, and it read Rathfarnham Village. The funny thing was that it was missing the "r" in Rathfarnham. What the council did was, they put an upside-down v (^) under the word and then put the "r" above the word.

Like this:

........r
    Rathfanham
    .......^

HaHa!!! Only in Ireland you would find this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kind of related, on Collins Ave in Dublin there was (is?) a straight stretch where the road widened. The council felt that the stretch was safe enough to allow the limit to increase from 30mph to 40mph. However, all along this stretch, they painted markings on the surface telling motorists to slow down!?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

That reminds me - the corpo interactive signs for parking. Marlboro Street 162 spaces - It's Marlborough street ye feckin eejits :o (Embarassed for them really). Think this could be another case of : "Will we tell the bollix?" - "Nah!" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The one that always gets me is on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway, heading southbound but can't remember where exactly. It's coming up a juntion, there is a white square sign, with about 6 or 7 vertical black lines, with the lines on the far right and far left bend out and with arrows on the top. In one of the 'lanes' towards the left there is a broken line with an arrow at the top.

There is an explanitory sign attached to it with the text "Beware of weaving cyclists".... Could they make the sign any more abstract?

Also, a personal gripe of mine are those massive signs, about 40 foot tall that they put near motorway construction, they have a light blue background and tiny little text in one corner saying "your plan - your future", with the rest of the sign completely blank. Wastage extreme.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Outside of Waterford on the Limerick rd is an area called Grannagh.. but some
    twat who cant spell has put up a sign just before the turn off to it and he's spelt it Granny :rolleyes:

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Generally, the "End of Motorway" sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

The general lack of decent signposting for anywhere in this country! Classic examples are following signs for somewhere for miles then all of a sudden they stop and you're left wondering wtf to do next......

...is it to confuse the tourists or keep non-local people out? ;)

- misspellings of town names etc

- wrong distances quoted

- signs for places at or about 10metres from the turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wonder sometimes as to the legal standing of those big orange signs at roadworks, you know, the ones that just say "SLOW DOWN", with no limit or anything, or even the ones that do state a limit. AFAIK anything other than the regulation white circle with a red border and black letters is not legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Here's one to get back at all the Irish jokes put your way! ;)

From Brighton, England:

blackhole.gif

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/signs/blackhole.htm

Advertisement