Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography course?

• 18-08-2004 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My sister asked me to have a look at http://www.nyip.com/ as she is thinking of doing a photography course. She has been interested in photography for a number of years now and has never really done anything about it up till now. She has a pretty good SLR camera and is strongly thinking of buying a digital SLR (after some research for her I recommended the Canon EOS 300D, Canon 10D or Nikon D70). Are there any full-time/part-time/online courses worth doing? How much. Has anybody completed them? A friend of mine is doing an evening one in Griffith College but he says it sucks big time and he's gonna drop out. He just completed 1st year. Any advice would be great. I'm not sure whether she wants to do a digital photography or traditional photography course but info on both would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i've not done any photo courses but to me after some basic study about the technical aspects of cameras the way to learn is to take pictures, take as many pictures as is possible and you learn so much. courses give you ideas and themes and get you to photograph them so if you can't inspire yourself they help in that area.

www.AAAphotos.org <- my photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭missy me

Theres a photography course in Killester, they do both full time and part time (2 days a week) it covers many aspects of photography, its quite laid back and gives you a chance to experiment with both digital (computer) and dark room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i did the evening course in killester the guy who thought it was cool, knew his stuff too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Cheers, will let the sister know. Any contact details for the course in Killester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Si Howard

dublin camera club do a 10 week beginners course on a wednesday night - www.dublincameraclub.ie there should be one starting in september

gallery of photography do some short intro courses - I did one with Hugh McElveen - very good http://www.irish-photography.com/

gain inspiration and humility from the photos on www.photo.net or www.alamy.com...

as said above, take lot and lots of pictures....

Si

DotOrg - is your .org an org - if you know what i mean?
    www.sihoward.com

• Advertisement

Killester has a website, www.killestercollege.ie .it's a nice college, nice area, easily accesed by bus and dart, nice pub across the road that does really ggood food. theres an open registration on the 26th of august i think. well just check out the website anyway

on another note, chewy your photos of the club rock. especially the fire poi, did you use a tripod for those? i also like the long exposure used on some of the people shots, showing the movement and such.it rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Si Howard wrote:
    dublin camera club do a 10 week beginners course on a wednesday night - www.dublincameraclub.ie there should be one starting in september

gallery of photography do some short intro courses - I did one with Hugh McElveen - very good http://www.irish-photography.com/

gain inspiration and humility from the photos on www.photo.net or www.alamy.com...

as said above, take lot and lots of pictures....

Si

DotOrg - is your .org an org - if you know what i mean?
    www.sihoward.com
    it will be eventually hopefully a proper org, a collective of photographers but as of now its just me and one other doing lots of music photos. it's not a business yet but might go for a .ie if it does become one and make .org into the photographers community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Si Howard

thanks - keep us informed of any developmments

Si

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vanuissance

Hey. I studied commercial photography in killester college 08/09 and to be honest ,i don't think any of the students benefited from it,The computers in the college don't work,therefore we did not learn photoshop in college throughout the whole term.The lecturer is too laid back and is ,in my opinion a bad teacher...looking for a handy number.I am looking for students who may have attended the college in the past,as i would like to hear your views on your experience of the full time photography course.
    I would not recommend this particular course to anybody,your time and money will be wasted.Don't say i did'nt warn you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

http://www.oca-uk.com/courses

This guys have pretty good ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As this thread is almost 5 years old I am closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement