Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which e-mail client...

Options
  • 19-08-2004 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

.. should I use in this case:

I'm re-setting up a computer for a complete computer nonce, and Outlook Express has decided to go tits up (why doesn't that surprise me). This has happened too many times now, so the long and the short is that I need to get an e-mail client that is:
    • extremely easy / clear to use
    • has good junk mail facilities (there's about 200 spam e-mails a day coming in)
    • it HAS to be able to call up a DUN window automatically (i.e. the internet doesn't have to be connected manually first)
    No other requirements are necessary, nothing flashy, nothing funky, nothing extra. I've used Eudora for years (and it's no good for a newbie imo), and have no yearn to spend hours downloading e-mail clients on a dial-up connection and testing them, so any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have you tried thunderbird?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

dunno if it does the DUN but it should do the rest

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I second Thunderbird, I set it up for my parents at home and even they can use it :-)
    Very little configuration to do, it don't use much memory and loads quick enough

Junk mail filter is excellent as well once its trained alittle but thats not much work, as for DUN connection I've never tried so ain't sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I also recommend Thunderbird.

However, I was having problems with Outlook Express too.
    Installing SP2 fixed the problem... you might want to try it.

Thats if you are running XP of course :)

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

AFAIR if you setup your internet connections settings to 'Dial whenever a network connection is not present' from either right click on IE logo on the desktop or through Tools->Internet options in IE, it will bring up the DUN prompt when any application tries to connect to the net. I setup Pegasus mail for my Uncle a few years back and this does it. I must move him over to Thunderbird too, it'd be a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I think pretty much anything would be better than Pegasus, if it's still what it was like when I had to use it an uni! I'll give Thunderbird a go. I did try it back when it was at version 0.4 or 0.3, but I don't like the way it handles multiple accounts, so I kept using Eudora, but she has only one account, so it should be fine. This woman's running Windows 2000 SP4, so XP SP2 will be of no help, unfortunately. Now to get her off IE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

An alternitive is incredimail, very easy to use and has an easily used junk mail filter, my sister uses it and she has no computer experience.

Incredimail

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dun wrote:
    ...............Now to get her off IE!

Thats easy, Firefox with a IE skin and some nice handy extentsions like Adblock (see sig) show her that it removes almost all adverts from webpages and that makes them load faster, that should maker her happy (not to mention the default pop-up blocking)
    :D

Well I'm a long time Firefox convert so that goes without saying ;) I'm sure you know by now how hard it is to convince people that IE isn't the be all and end all of the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cabaal wrote:
    Thats easy, Firefox with a IE skin and some nice handy extentsions like Adblock (see sig) show her that it removes almost all adverts from webpages and that makes them load faster, that should maker her happy (not to mention the default pop-up blocking)
    http://firexplorer.mozdev.org/

screenshot.png

Just tell her its an SP2 update :D

screenshot.png

Not a bad idea, just rename the firefox shortcut to IE and your done, oh and change the icon of course. :D
    Nice skin tbh,

• Advertisement

Great idea! Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

If you want a good spam filter try K9 (www.keir.net) I've been using it for about 2 years now. It takes about a week of learning good from spam. After that it almost never fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

screenshot.png

Nice skin. :D

Dun wrote:
    I'll give Thunderbird a go. I did try it back when it was at version 0.4 or 0.3, but I don't like the way it handles multiple accounts
    I never found out until today that a Global Inbox is part of the roadmap for 0.8, and is already implemented in the nightlies. Now I can actually give it a chance, it really is a great e-mail client. Love the fact that I can get the mouse gestures extension, though the handiest extension for me after using Eudora for so long is the "No New Window on Double Click". Now it's just about perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

screenshot.png

Classic :D
    I use the POP mail client that came with Mozilla, simple enough... does the trick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Cabaal wrote:

Jeez man thats a classic idea.. must try that myself on some of my mates
    at home who refuse to use anything but microsoft stuff... excellent :D

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'd go with "The Bat"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

make sure to set up your virus scanner with Thunderbird, theres a way to get AVG working with it too, can't find the link now, if ya need it will have a proper look later.

Never even thought of that - found the page with a quick google:

http://broadbandnuts.com/drtweak/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=38&start=0

Cheers for reminding me. I'm going to be using Thunderbird myself now it has an all-in-one mailbox!

Advertisement