Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Windowing

Options
  • 19-08-2004 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried this ?

Looks a bit mad!

p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well thats the last thing id go near in my PC. Id have no problems about cutting up my case, overclocking everything, pin mods, but messing with my hard drvie........ jaysus no.

lol, are you thinkin about having a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That sounds crazy to me, i'm sure it would look cool but even if you managed to pull it off without damaging the drive surely outside light would interfere with it.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Col_Loki wrote:
    lol, are you thinkin about having a go?

No way.....but then again i have 1.3gb piece of junk lying about here gathering dust so if i ever feel adventurous.....

p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

z_q_flyingheight.gif
    t's actually quite amazing how close to the surface of the disks the heads fly without touching. To put it into perspective, a modern hard disk has a floating height of an amazing 0.5 microinches. A human hair has a thickness of over 2,000 microinches! You can see why keeping dirt out of the hard disk is so important! In fact, the floating height of a hard disk is smaller than the circuit size of a microprocessor.
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/op/heads/opHeight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Do ya have a clean room handy?

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote:
    Do ya have a clean room handy?

I'd have to wander over to Intel and see if i could rent one of theirs for a few hours.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most idiotic mod ever. Once you open up your hard disk, it's ****ed.

Stephen wrote:

I can only but agree!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd have to wander over to Intel and see if i could rent one of theirs for a few hours....
    Even the class 1 clean rooms in intel aren't clean enough to attempt something like that in ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Stephen wrote:

:rolleyes:
    n00b

I will try this mod on a old hdd over the next month,should be intresting,another guide says to do it in your bathroom after the hot shower has been turned on for a while to lessen the dust in the air.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips821/

;)
    CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

CombatCow wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    n00b

I will try this mod on a old hdd over the next month,should be intresting,another guide says to do it in your bathroom after the hot shower has been turned on for a while to lessen the dust in the air.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips821/

;)
    CC

Combat cow the mad modder go for it :D:D if i had a spare one knocking around i will give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

CombatCow wrote:
    do it in your bathroom after the hot shower has been turned on for a while to lessen the dust in the air.

Right. Then you just have to worry about moisture in your drive instead of dust. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Well obviously you yould leave the room to settle down for a few hours, ;)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Ya big bunch of no no noddy nay sayers :p

Go for it cc, just remember to remove the biggest source of dust in the toilets the bog roll.

The article mentions using cling film to cover the hd, but I was kinda wondering could you use the clingfilm as a dust trap in what ever container you store the hd in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The disk *might* work immediately after the mod, but I guarantee that after a few weeks of operation, at the very latest, you'll start seeing major occurances of bad blocks and data corruption.

But go for it anyways.

Advertisement