Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push it to the limit!...or not

Options
  • 19-08-2004 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Are you one of those Pc users who get every last drop of use out of your hardware or do you, prefer when ol yeller is showing signs of age you get a new peice of hardware?

Example i tend to push my G Card as much as possible hence playing doom3 on a Geforce mmx 440 , the poor ol thing is ready to go on fire after every session lol , but im using it with an amdXp3000 which tends to help, but i never overclock my cpu , dont know why, i whip my Gcard to death but take care of the cpu :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Doom 3 works on a mx440? Fecking hell, i might get some in this weekend so, on my 9600SE :o as my passively cooled 9800PRO hasn't arrived yet.
    I haven't over clocked much, but i plan to when i get said new grpahics card, I'll be selling the old one plus 2 256 sticks of PC3200, and spending the mulah on HSF and some fans. Got no extraction/intake fans in my computer ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Im totally different. I always overclock my CPU to the brink and then just drop it back a bit. Generally overclock GFX card for benchmarks but normally left at stock.

Prob the fact that ive looked into CPU overclocking a hell of alot more than GFX and the fact that you can monitor temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Running graphics cards at the max overclockable speed will probably cause artifacts in some games/benches. There's a sweet spot you have to find. Takes a bit of testing and tweaking. Same with the CPU really, you have to find a speed that is.. well... fast, but still stable.

I usually get new hardware and push it to the max, I get antsy when my stuff gets too old and just replace it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I push my Cpu to the limit, in gaming its always running hot "over the 60c mark". But for my vido card i only oc that just a little maybe half of what it can do. Dont care ro much about my cpu but a video card are pricey.

Col_Loki how much Vcore can someone put into there AMD cpu chip ? I was wonder maybe it dont matter how much Vcore, all that matters is the heat and keeping it down ? Is it the same with a AMD-M chip ? You can put it up to 2.3 if you can but just trying to keep it cool.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What i saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about a Scarface case mod or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Col_Loki how much Vcore can someone put into there AMD cpu chip ? I was wonder maybe it dont matter how much Vcore, all that matters is the heat and keeping it down ?
    I asked this questiona while back and the answer i got is that even if you keep the heat down, the extra current will mean that the cpu will burn out quicker.
    Was told something like every 5% over volt will halve the life expectancy of the chip.

Yea thats right B-K-DzR , the two main things that effect CPU lifespan are Voltage and Heat. Voltage more so than heat. Generally when people are increaseing the Vcore they tend to keep the temps lower than what they might run if they were fitted in a dell (or system with stock cooler and no case fans)....... so that helps a little to balance it back out.

I dont think an increase of 5% would equate to half the life span, just from some of the research ive looked at on the overclockers.com forum i think it was 15% that was estimated........ its a very very hard area to judge and im not sure myself TBH. The XP's are far better at handling voltage than say AMD64's or P4's thats for sure.

Along with life span getting shorter there is always a risk of instant death when you are pushing the Vcore really high. TBH i think the limit should be 2v with very good cooling (water / phase)and 1.85v-1.9v with Air. Thats on the XP's BTW, with P4's its dodgy going over 1.7v.

Personally i wouldnt try 2.3v, ive went up to 2.1v but not for long. Ran just over 2v for a while with no probs. Thats with watercooling and a cool running Xp2500+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ok thanks guys i will make sure i wont go to high. But knowing me a few months down the line i will say to hell with it and just push it till it pops :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Was told something like every 5% over volt will halve the life expectancy of the chip.

Thats is why i upgrade cpu/sys boards almost every year :)

As for pushing it- i mostly do the cpu till i have it running stable but if get somthing new i will always try to push it a bit more ;) and see what happens-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

A little off the subject but not really
    I have been overcloking systems for a few years now
    In work we have a few HP ssf PC's, the other day while running one with it top cover off it started to crash, baffeled for a min, then I touched the heatsink on the north bridge. Holy Sh1t (still have the mark to prove it)
    The thing was near red hot
    I put the lid back on and the system ran fine

This is a standard top brand build and its running on the edge. (p4 2600)
    Push it all the way

Dec

• Advertisement

Are you sure it was the NB cooler and not a passive cooler for the CPU? Very strange that the NB would be that hot.........

No
    The CPU has a big fan on top of it which blows out the side of the case

Dec

Sorry i had to ask :) . Very strange to see a NB running that hot TBH, i take it there is no air flow at all (still shouldnt be that hot IMO)?

This is the little beast

Hot and Not o'clocked

anyway way off the mark

bye

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

deckie27 wrote:
    This is the little beast

Hot and Not o'clocked

anyway way off the mark

JESUS! savage machines, all INTEL cpu's, Hugh HD's and a class case MOD as well ....

My god i would nearly swap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Stop extracting the urine pyrogenx work places are hardly going to build their own ;) Messing apart I've always been suspicious of those really quiet Dells; if you ever put your hand over the outtake of the power supply the air is quite hot and I've always thought that the PCs must be running at an awful temp for them to be sooo quiet. I'd love to temp monitor some Dells to see what temps they hit - closed BOISes though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

yeah i'd like to know the sys temps of a Dell too, in my college they ONLY seem to have 1 fan which is obiously CPU and they're p4 and everything onboard.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Messing apart I've always been suspicious of those really quiet Dells

Same here, got a PIV 3.0 GHz about 18 months ago in work and it was virtually silent...
    deckie27 wrote:
    then I touched the heatsink on the north bridge. Holy Sh1t (still have the mark to prove it)

Yeah the chipset on the NB can easily go well over 100 degrees centigrade on most systems when pushed and with bad airflow. The fact that the case was open didn't help either ;)

As an overclocker i would never push my sys so hard that a sys with the cover would fail.
    but it seems thats what the big boys are doing

Dec

• Advertisement
Advertisement