Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Home

Options
  • 19-08-2004 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't exactly a parenting issues but I'm looking for some advice and cant seem to find a category that the query will slot in to!

I'm looking to buy a mobile home(2-3K) for my family (2adults+5yo+6yo) so that we can save for a 9-12 mth to get a deposit for house(currently paying 800/pm). Can anyone give some pros/cons to this?
    Also I'm wondering how they link up to mains electricity(or is a generator better) and water?
    Looking forward to any comments

JC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

buy a good one with plenty of heating installed as winter time is freezing and i mean freezing you can end up with ice on inside windows.
    if you have a site then you need water and elec installed which could cost a lot.
    if you can put it up beside a relatives house then just wire it through theirs and contribute each month for elec.

buy a wilerby they are the best make and when you buy one check the floors under the carpet to make sure there in good nick and also check the roof for dents.

ventalation is very important so make sure windoes work grand.

back to the heat if you can get one with solid fire in it then your going grand as electric heating costs a bomb the reason being ..in the winter when its cold you need to keep it running contiously as once the cold gets in it can take a day to get the place warm again.

the electric heaters arent great for air and make it all dry and stale so you would have to keep some windows open which could make it all cold again.

gas heaters are usually installed in all mobiles but i dont really trust gas plus it can make you sleepy..

buy a 12 foot in width its much better as you dont feel confined.
    spend about 5 or 6 on one its def worth it. the less you spend the crappier it will be. you have to remember the irish wether. i know its a lot of money to spend on one but there so easy to sell on. who ever your buying it off you can barter a few pound off also.

i bought one for 9200 old pound few year back kept it for two years it was well worth it for the comfort level plus i sold it on for 9000 euro so you wont lose out on much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

I know nothing about the mobile home aspect of things, but it might be worth looking into planting a few trees around where you plan to put it or building a temporary wall to shelter it from the worst of the winter storms.
    For a few hundred quid you could make the whole thing alot more habitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Once lived in a v large portacabin, built by a company called "extraspace",... they sorted out the elec, toilet / washing, plumbling, heating etc, and they had it built within a day.
    They even built a porch outside with a ramp for my wheelchair.
    I would highly recommend it, VERY cheap in comparison, u can, if i remember correctly, pay all at once or monthly, but either way, v cheap. They will also come out and design it with u, where u want outlets, sinks, windows etc....

B

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

I know a family who spent 4 months living in a caravan while rebuilding their home (burnt down). They had colds, flu's, sore throats etc for the four months, might be worth considering spending the winter months in a house! Otherwise look closely at the heating system and the ventilation as these two will likely be the soucrce of all the above illnesses.

Advertisement