Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is boards still slow for everyone else.

Options
  • 19-08-2004 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

have you guys finished tweaking the new vb3 install? just wondering as its definitely still a lot slower (for me) than before the upgrade. this is on 2 diff machines 1 dialup, one BB.

anyone else notice this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No, for once it's running fine for me

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Ridiculously slow for me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

slow for me sometimes. right now its ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

woops probly should be mentioning browsers to make it easier to pin down problems.

im using mozilla firefox 0.8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mozilla 1.5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

it's very slow for me at lunchtime, when I need it the most!!

however, on another thread in here Regi said he will be getting around to sorting it out in the next few weeks or so and all will be well again....
    Patience is required people, Regi has to sleep/work/eat and drink like the rest of us, these things take time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well I installed Firfox for the second time last night.... It loaded about 3 webpages.... then stopped.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm the same as Beruthiel, speed is fine most of the time but absolutely crawls during lunch sometimes >60secs per pageload. Using IE 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Beruthiel wrote:
    it's very slow for me at lunchtime

Snap.

Firefox 0.9.3 / IE 6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Having a lot of trouble today, all day. Using Avant on top of IE6.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Sleepy wrote:
    I'm the same as Beruthiel, speed is fine most of the time but absolutely crawls during lunch sometimes >60secs per pageload. Using IE 6.
    exactly the same here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Running like crap this evening here, front page barely even would load 30min ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The slowdown has got nothing to do with browsers.

It's simply that VB3 requires a lot more processing per page impression than VB2.2. Lunch time (13.00 - 14.00 + ) is the busiest time of the day on boards so the number of pages the server has to generate is at it's highest and the server gets overloaded. Essentially your request ends up waiting in line to be processed for ages and because there are so many requests being served each one takes longer.

The previous thread about this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179164

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, heres the skinny.

1. Rather then *lose* users (as we expected it would) the upgrade has brought us MORE. We've broken that user record three times since we upgraded. I'm not entirely sure why. This is putting an extreme load on our pathetically small but do-or-die little server. Its only got a 750 processor god love it.

2. We're still tweaking things to find optimal performance. We may have just hit the glass ceiling of what this server can do. Regi and Ecksor cant squeeze blood from a stone after all!

3. We've been planning this for some time. Thankfully we didnt pay any attention to the people who didnt want google ads or sponsorship accounts. We are going to empty the coffers and go shopping for server bits, probably two servers as load balanced webservers to replace the current one.

ETA on all of this good stuff is 6 weeks at the outside. I'm hoping it will be more like 3-4.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote:
    We are going to empty the coffers and go shopping for server bits, probably two servers as load balanced webservers to replace the current one.
    DeV.

perhaps another raffle is in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Goes down for about 20 minutes between 1.30 and 2.30 every day. Otherwise tis fine.

I get connection refused at these times, so either it's inundated with users, or there's maintenance taking place.

Edit: 549 users today! :eek:
    /me pets boards server
    Poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

DeVore wrote:
    Ok, heres the skinny.

1. Rather then *lose* users (as we expected it would) the upgrade has brought us MORE. We've broken that user record three times since we upgraded. I'm not entirely sure why. This is putting an extreme load on our pathetically small but do-or-die little server. Its only got a 750 processor god love it.

2. We're still tweaking things to find optimal performance. We may have just hit the glass ceiling of what this server can do. Regi and Ecksor cant squeeze blood from a stone after all!

3. We've been planning this for some time. Thankfully we didnt pay any attention to the people who didnt want google ads or sponsorship accounts. We are going to empty the coffers and go shopping for server bits, probably two servers as load balanced webservers to replace the current one.

ETA on all of this good stuff is 6 weeks at the outside. I'm hoping it will be more like 3-4.

DeV.

Sponsorship accounts are a little expensive, if there was a PayPal link where people could donate on their own steam that might generate some more funds, I know I'd throw a few Euros into the hat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I thought it was just me that was experiencing boards.ie being really slow since the upgrade, there was one to two days where it was fine but most days its like as if im on 56k, at lunchtime it often doesnt respond at all and I come back later on in the evening when its a bit better, im on broadband and using firefox 0.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sponsorship accounts are a little expensive, if there was a PayPal link where people could donate on their own steam that might generate some more funds, I know I'd throw a few Euros into the hat.

You can subscribe to boards (via paypal, no less) on a monthly basis, for €5, or annually for €50 (2 months free). It's (mostly) all handled automagically by vb3.

So to recap on what we've learnt today, you too can give all your money to boards.ie in small, easy to manage installments.

Yes, I wish to sell all my worldly possessions to these reprebates.

Why did that sound like one of those cheap-ass mortgage ads on tv? Please - for the love of god - somone kill me now :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

DeVore wrote:
    Ok, heres the skinny.

1. Rather then *lose* users (as we expected it would) the upgrade has brought us MORE. We've broken that user record three times since we upgraded. I'm not entirely sure why. This is putting an extreme load on our pathetically small but do-or-die little server.

its the illuminati....they're following me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok I'll have a look at that on Monday.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

nice double Xeon Dell Poweredge 2500 with 1Gb Ram and a 1000Base fibre card and 1000 Copper NIC along with 150Gb of Raid5 cost me €2800 + Vat there last week.

coulda gone to 280Gb in Raid 5 (3 x 140Gb SCSI )

If you are doing a fundraising drive, could you set logins for notorious pimps around here so thattheyare directed to the paypal interface on login ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Gah - all this guilt flying around and that new subs interface is too convenient... ;)

So, how do I use this new subscription then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it just me, or have avatars disappeared in the Cloud theme?

/me goes off to double-check profile....

{edit: yeah seems sigs, avatars and images had been turned off. I didn't do it.

ecksor says oopps again? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Feels quite slow atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Its slow all day. Regi is fiddling about with bits and pieces trying to get rid of the lag, so thats where you may have seen sigs/avatars and so on missing for a brief period.

Advertisement