Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News removing streaming news & primetime

• 19-08-2004 11:08am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed this?
    RTE have removed the links to One O'Clock News, Six O'Clock news and Primetime, I found it handy to have these as I'm hardly ever around to watch it on TV and as much as I can read news on the net I miss out on alot of Irish news especially since Ireland.com went pay :(

The only videos I can find now are 30sec segments of the full news
    like this - http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0816/1news.html
    Which tbh its crap to watch, I'd rather see the whole thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

RTE getting stingy on the old bandwidth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

If you read the notice on the page,

For copyright reasons, the link to watch the whole programme will be unavailable during Olympics 2004. RTÉ apologises for any inconvenience caused.

It will be back to normal in over a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Cabaal wrote:
    Anyone else noticed this?
    RTE have removed the links to One O'Clock News, Six O'Clock news and Primetime, I found it handy to have these as I'm hardly ever around to watch it on TV and as much as I can read news on the net I miss out on alot of Irish news especially since Ireland.com went pay :(

For copyright reasons, the link to watch the whole programme will be unavailable during Olympics 2004. That's what is says on their site, and I know that other international broadcasters were also required to restrict access to within their own borders for any Olympic coverage (which is a totally ridiculous requirement on the Internet). As RTE have a relatively large international audience, it makes more sense to chop the program up, and only show the non-Olympic pieces, than to restrict access totally. (Though it would only take a few minutes work each day for them to create a .smil file than linked all the non-olympic clips into a single stream, but they never seem to go that last mile).

The Register covered this issue last week.

By the way the RTE To Everywhere project was 10 years old earlier this year!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thank feck for that
    Totally missed that notice and did'ent see the Reg item either, oh well
    Thanks lads

Now all we need is for RTE to give better quality streams :D

Advertisement