Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to clean windows?

• 19-08-2004 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

whats the best way to clean windows?

i have to clean the gaf including the windows. problem is i have no windowleen or squeegy or any window cleaning stuff...

what is the best method and what are the best DIY materials to use?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Newspaper and vinegar supposedly. Or you could just buy some Windowlene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

LOL
    Posting to find out the best way to clean the gaff. You lazy bugger :)

Oh its so like me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ChipZilla wrote:
    Or you could just buy some Windowlene?

yeah like thats going to happen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

format C:
    yes
    yes

oh wait you mean windows
    soap+water+bucket+clote
    and the old wax on wax off hand movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

You could even use a sponge.......should work!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

any other pearls of wisdom?

i'm eating a Koka pot noodle think for breakfast, they are beautiful!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Water, washing up liquid and a bit of white spirit in a a bucket. Dunk cloth in bucket, apply liberally to window, squeegy window. Move on to next window. If ya don't have a squuegy, use newspaper.

Don't use windolene on the outside of the windows, the next time it rains, you'll need to wash 'em over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ladybumps

Sleepy wrote:
    Water, washing up liquid and a bit of white spirit in a a bucket. Dunk cloth in bucket, apply liberally to window, squeegy window. Move on to next window. If ya don't have a squuegy, use newspaper.

Well, I would suggest a slightly different version of the above... you really only need to have vinegar in the water (and you can get the vinegar sachets free in the chipper on Friday).

You really do need a squeegee to get all the excess water off the glass. Again, if you're stuck, I'd recommend confiscating this from one of the kids standing at traffic lights annoying the drivers… ask him for his traders permit and when he asks you what you’re talking about, tell him you’ll have to confiscate the squeegee.

Then, for the free newspapers, either pop into a shop at the end of the day when they’ve cut of the header, or grab a bundle of newspapers from your neighbour’s green bin. The newspapers should only be used at the end to give the windows a gleaming shine.

And finally, don’t do it this weekend ‘cos the tail end of hurricane Charlie is forecast and all your hard work will be wasted!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Wire wool, a Lemon and bread soda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

One of those blokes taht comes to your door and offers to clean your windows. Winner every time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yup newspaper windowlene bucket of water with a bucket of water wash with cloth/sponge dry with newspaper tis your only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

how to clean windows?
    Maybe you should try some window cleaning materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

One of those blokes taht comes to your door and offers to clean your windows. Winner every time.

Got one of those chaps. €10 a pop. Every 6 weeks or so. There are about 1000 houses in this guys patch, and i reckon that 10% must get their windows done by him, that €9000 a year. Not bad, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

PH01 wrote:
    Got one of those chaps. €10 a pop. Every 6 weeks or so. There are about 1000 houses in this guys patch, and i reckon that 10% must get their windows done by him, that €9000 a year. Not bad, eh?

Definitely. Cash in hand too - none of that tax nonsense. :D My window cleaner driver an 03 Beemer when he goes around to collect his money at the weekends. I'm in the wrong line of business I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Oi!
    Have you sussed new windowlene plus?
    It shifts all grease and dirt and dust
    when you windowlene plus your windows!

Thank you chas n dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

NEVER USE SOAPY STUFF ON YOUR WINDOWS!!!
    It will cause a build up of scummy stuff and cause streaks.

The best thing is to use one of those sqeesey bottles that you get in the garden centre for spraying ferns. You know... those bottles with the trigger thing on them.
    Fill with water and WHITE vinegar. (brown vinegar isnt as good)
    Spray on windows... don't empty the bottle on one window... a good coverage of mist is enough.
    Then wipe using scrunched up newspaper. Use a little elbow grease when rubbing the newspapers over the windows. It will help lift the dirt and also dry off the windows.

(if your worried about your fairy soft hands, don't forget to wear your lovely pink marigold rubber gloves. Vinegar and newsprint aren't very kind to hands) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

NEVER USE SOAPY STUFF ON YOUR WINDOWS!!!
    It will cause a build up of scummy stuff and cause streaks.

The best thing is to use one of those sqeesey bottles that you get in the garden centre for spraying ferns. You know... those bottles with the trigger thing on them.
    Fill with water and WHITE vinegar. (brown vinegar isnt as good)
    Spray on windows... don't empty the bottle on one window... a good coverage of mist is enough.
    Then wipe using scrunched up newspaper. Use a little elbow grease when rubbing the newspapers over the windows. It will help lift the dirt and also dry off the windows.

(if your worried about your fairy soft hands, don't forget to wear your lovely pink marigold rubber gloves. Vinegar and newsprint aren't very kind to hands) :p

use kitchen paper instead of newspaper especially if you have white pvc windows or soft hands!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yea, **** man , this is a good post.
    I got some porblems with the windscreen of the car, there is some stuff on it I can't get off, it like makes the window look foggy when the sun is on it, and it just streaks if I try to wash it, first i tried just water and then soapy water, but no joy, it just keeps streaking. What type of solvent should I use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

1) break the windows - oops!

2) replace the glass with this: http://www.activglass.com/Pages/aboutframe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

nadir wrote:
    yea, **** man , this is a good post.
    I got some porblems with the windscreen of the car, there is some stuff on it I can't get off, it like makes the window look foggy when the sun is on it, and it just streaks if I try to wash it, first i tried just water and then soapy water, but no joy, it just keeps streaking. What type of solvent should I use?
    i have a good solution for that!!! just get a new windscreen!!! get it done on your insurance!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement