Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House Alarm went off at 3.15am

• 19-08-2004 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Got up found pants, put them on, grabbed baseball bat, went downstairs, disarmed alarm, read report - internal PIR alert. Check everywhere. All clear, rearm alarm & go back to bed, spend next two hours waking to every creak...

It's amazing how confident you feel when:
    1) You can't think straight because you're only awake.
    2) You have a four foot long heavy Hickory bat in your hand

Wife doing her nut now because she thinks we have mice & apparantly that's worse than someone breaking in & ransacking the place...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Could it have been a spider walking across the PIR?

or maybe a ghost in your house... :eek:

V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I thought someone was busting into our house the other night. I grabbed an axe. Turned out to be nothing, but I need to get a baseball bat, cos I was thinking I would've killed an intruder with the axe. While a baseball bat wouldn't be so bad.

It's a new house I've just moved in, and after that little fright I went an left the kitchen door open last night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

check the batteries it its wireless...you can buy sensors that are 'safe' for animal movements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

mrhappy42 wrote:
    check the batteries it its wireless...you can buy sensors that are 'safe' for animal movements.
    Even Asatians? I'd say that an Alsatian and a robber crawling on all fours would look pretty similar to a motion detector.

Then again, I don't think you'd need an alarm if you had an Alsatian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I grabbed an axe. Turned out to be nothing, but I need to get a baseball bat, cos I was thinking I would've killed an intruder with the axe.

1. Where do you do you keep your axe? And why? (I keep my trusty axe by the bed in case of a late night firewood emergency???!)

2. Has a baseball bat ever been bought in this country for the intention of playing baseball?

See I kind of object to the 'RA using baseball bats for puinishment beatings, if they were true nationalists they'd use hurleys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

mrhappy42 wrote:

They're wired.
    mycroft wrote:
    Has a baseball bat ever been bought in this country for the intention of playing baseball?

Actually bought the whole kit & caboodle in the US last month, baseball bat was the only thing A.L. didn't lose :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

mycroft wrote:
    1. Where do you do you keep your axe? And why? (I keep my trusty axe by the bed in case of a late night firewood emergency???!)

2. Has a baseball bat ever been bought in this country for the intention of playing baseball?

See I kind of object to the 'RA using baseball bats for puinishment beatings, if they were true nationalists they'd use hurleys.

There's a load of tools in our spare bedroom due to ongoing work. If I hear a possible intruder I generally run in there and grab something. A few weeks ago I got a hammer.

Now that you mention it I think I'll get a hurley. I'd say it would be more intimidating than a baseball bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Now that you mention it I think I'll get a hurley. I'd say it would be more intimidating than a baseball bat.

Exactly, Some burgler sees you brandishing a hurley and thinks to himself

"I gotta get out here that guys a psycho, he plays hurley for f**ks sake"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

mycroft wrote:
    Exactly, Some burgler sees you brandishing a hurley and thinks to himself

"I gotta get out here that guys a psycho, he plays hurley for f**ks sake"
    lol lol lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

The only useful alarms in any house is a smoke alarm and an alarm clock.
    Burglar alarms are a waste of space and nuisance. Like what's the first thing you think about when a house alarm, apart from your own, goes off? You say to yourself - some F****ers alarm is going off and you curse that b######s to hell! or is that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

mycroft wrote:
    Sleepy's post of the week.™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The main use of burglar alarms is the deterrant factor of having the box on the wall. Notice how alarm companies now go to the trouble of having flashing lights on them that will be off it your alarm is left broken. Night alarms can be useful. They'll spook burglars and get them out of the house before you have to run into them.

Burglar alarms are a bit of a nuisance. I've got some neighbours whose alarms consistantly go off in the evening or at night during the weekends when they are gone away. One set of neighbours had to be rung during their honeymoon to get them to send a friend around to disarm their alarm as it had been going off for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

yip, they should be banned or at the very least auto shut off after 30mins, the same with car alarms. ****in 99% of the time its everyone else besides the owner that hears them and has to put up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Gideon wrote:
    yip, they should be banned or at the very least auto shut off after 30mins,.

They are already supposed to by law, it's actually less than a half hour AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

20 minutes, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

what you need is a hockey mask and a chainsaw

NOBODY will go near your house again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

From Oasis:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/environment/noise_regulations.html?search=burglar+alarms
    A European standard for external intruder alarms replaced all current national standards in September, 2003. The new standard incorporates stricter controls regarding minimum and maximum duration for the sounding of alarms. The new limits are 90 seconds minimum and 15 minutes maximum. However, the new controls only apply to alarms fitted from September, 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Unpossible wrote:
    what you need is a hockey mask and a chainsaw

NOBODY will go near your house again

or a mask of human skin, equally effective if not more so.
    can you imagine a burgler crapping himself when he hears a chainsaw starting upstairs. preferably you'd shout "here comes the pain bitch" while running down the stairs.

yeah get someone upstairs to start screaming then run down with the chainsaw covered in blood

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

All current alarms must shut off the external sounder after 20 minutes, but theres no rules regarding the internal sounder. I have both of mine set to shut off after 20 mins, cause the internal noise is just as bad for the house attached to you.

If another attempt is made on the house after the sounders have auto shut offed(?), they kick back in again for round two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Outside bells/sounders should shut down after about 20 mins. Older systems should have had timers fitted in bell box. On;y strobe light outside and internal sounders should remain active. Otherwise you can be in breach of noise polution laws.
    Careful about the baseball bat. If you keep bat or similar under bed in case someone breaks in and you usw it ..thats assault. You INTENDED or planned to use it in the event of break in Thats premeditated.
    On the other hand, if while responding to alarm activation, while running down stairs your hand accidently/authomatically "fall" on your no.9 iron because you golf bag is normally stored on landing ,out of the way, thats not premeditated.
    See the differewnce ?? Its a subtle point that could keep you out of clink or keep the burgler from suing you for damages.
    regards
    t

"Honestly your honour I was just beginning to cut some firewood upstairs with my chainsaw when the alarm went off, well not wanting to turn off the irksome machine I went down stairs expecting to find my cat had triggered the alarm again. Imagine my surprise when - while swinging my chainsaw carelessly- on entering the kitchen I came face to face with an intruder. As you can imagine it is next to impossible to stop a swinging chainsaw when its on maximum. I watched in awe as it cleaved him in two......what? the hockey mask? Well as I said I was cutting wood, safty first"

*edit for qoutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Unpossible wrote:
    "Honestly your honour I was just beginning to cut some firewood upstairs with my chainsaw when the alarm went off, well not wanting to turn off the irksome machine I went down stairs expecting to find my cat had triggered the alarm again. Imagine my surprise when - while swinging my chainsaw carelessly- on entering the kitchen I came face to face with an intruder. As you can imagine it is next to impossible to stop a swinging chainsaw when its on maximum. I watched in awe as it cleaved him in two......what? the hockey mask? Well as I said I was cutting wood, safty first"

*edit for qoutes

ROTFL
    t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Actually bought the whole kit & caboodle in the US last month, baseball bat was the only thing A.L. didn't lose :(

Probably cos they daren't - they know full well who orders baseball bats, and the consequences if they failed to deliver ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

can you imagine a burglar crapping himself when he hears a chainsaw starting upstairs.

Mate of mine in the US bought a 12 gauge pump action shotgun for home defence when I was there last. I was with him as he picked it out (matt black Remington - on special at $250). The guy in the gun shop was telling us that nowadays you should only have to pump it & the burglar will clear the premises.

Then he pumped it to demonstrate.

It's not like it sounds in the movies, it's much, much scarier, very bass in sound.

I could only imagine hearing something like that in the dark, no way you'd be waiting around for a shot to be let off.

Advertisement