Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.NET evening course

Options
  • 19-08-2004 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I want to do an evening course that cover .NET and C#? If not C#, then VB.NET would do.

Does anyone know where I'd be able to do a course like this in Dublin?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

buy a good book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Stroll over to IrishDev and ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

GUI wrote:
    buy a good book ?

I agree. A good book and hundreds of tutorials on the web is better than evening classes I think plus cheaper. Also there is a better satisfaction from doing your own research. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Somehow while that sounds great, in practise, saying you learned it from a book, doesn't carry much weight in a job interview. If thats important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

That is absolutely not true.

It has been my experience that those who are self trained in computer programming are far better than those who are college educated in the same discipline.

As well as being more competent with programming languages, the fact that they went an learnt it themselves shows self motivation, dedication, self discipline and a good work ethic.

Sure, having a piece of paper is grand, and there is a lot to be said for it in certain circumstances, but those in the know - those who are at the coal face of software engineering and development - will tell you that self taught programmers are a valuable comodity.

To sum up - learn how to do it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're learning C# then teach yourself and if you need a cert to get work then go and do a course. If you're learning to program then you should probably go straight for a course and use that as a starting point.

Its been my continued experience that being self-trained is an asset when job hunting :cool:

Software Paths do good courses, although not in the evening time:
    http://www.softwarepaths.ie/education/educationframesetNET.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Try searching at Nightcourses.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

So the commitment of 3-4yrs in college does not equal that of a €60 book???

My point was that being self taught and no experience vs having a bit of paper and no experience will make the difference of getting an interview. If what you were saying was true you wouldn't see adverts specially asking for qualifications. I've never seen an advert that said self taught programmers preferred. Whereas I have seen qualifications as a requirement, its almost a requirement for the majority of jobs these days.

You can have woeful self taught programmers aswell as college grads. I've seen programmers with years of experience who couldn't write decent code to save their life!

I'm self taught with a bit of experience. I can see that there are gaps in my knowledge that I would have covered had I done a course, or a degree etc. While I was contracting I also went looking for a .Net course and couldn't find any that were worth the money. Luckily I've found a job where they are using .Net and will provide training for me. I've also decided to go and do a night course, to pick up a cert or two and fill in those pesky gaps in the skillset. So far its been tough, and maybe I've taken on too much. But in the IT business you have to keep learning.

Advertisement