Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the weather affect phone line quality?

Options
  • 19-08-2004 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Every time I connect to the internet, the first thing I do is visit this page to see how fast my connection is. On a good day, It usually loads in 8.6 seconds or so.

However, during these last few days the weather has been wet and my connection has slowed down dramatically. The page is now loading in 12-13 seconds no matter what time of the day I connect (afternoon, evening, after midnight). Its not the pages fault as the speed is very noticeable when i'm downloading too. So i'm just wondering, is there any link between bad weather and line quality? I'm on IOL Anytime btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's entirely possible that your line is getting wet somewhere when it rains. And yes, it can and will affect your line quality.

Eircom won't do anything about it if you mention the internet as they don't care really. The usual suggestion is to ring and complain of an intermittant line fault when making voice calls when it's wet.

Moving to Nets/Comms btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

intermittent such as crackling on the line , don't mention the Internet to Biddy while you are raising the fault.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Many years ago our phone bill used to be higher during downpours.. - it seems like we were getting crossed lines and cross billing ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Whip out the trusty Tayto bag! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Many years ago our phone bill used to be higher during downpours.. - it seems like we were getting crossed lines and cross billing ...

:eek:

Now that is something i have never heard of, how many years ago was this, could you possibly tell us the first three digits of that phone number? (at the time)

just interesting thats all :)

• Advertisement

:eek:

Now that is something i have never heard of, how many years ago was this, could you possibly tell us the first three digits of that phone number? (at the time)

Three Digits ?

It was Ballydehob 24 Cap'n, isnt that so .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

may that have been someone phreakin away on ya line ? it might have well been abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, the rain affects it. used to work in the call centre for eircom.net and we always got hammered with calls when it rained a lot.

even heard of a guy who couldn't stay connected cos of an electric fence he used to keep his cows in running across the path of the underground line.

rain... hmm i don't understand how exactly bad weather or rain can effect a phone line. Its obious how noise such as electric fences, parallel running lines or lightening can interfere with the signal BUT rain ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

i had the same problem have a look at the telephone poles and see is there a small white box get eircom out and replace the box on the telephone pole the problem is the box is filling up with water

• Advertisement

Electric fences are clearly audible on the line , sounds like a slow 'metallic' heartbeat. If they are earthed they are not a problem. The fence charger can also be transferred to the far end of the fence.

Eircoms shoddy workmanship in a WET country is the prime reason for faults....not the Rain.

M

Shouldn't any electrical stuff be well insulated so things like rain can't get in? ........ nevermind.........we're still in Ireland....right...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

pyrogenx wrote:
    Shouldn't any electrical stuff be well insulated so things like rain can't get in?
    Yup. And checked every few years because it's cheaper to replace plastic or rubber than copper when rain rots the insulating material or when rats eat it. Hell,, you could even use the customer as a checker if you're willing to check it when they notice a fault.
    ........ nevermind.........we're still in Ireland....right...
    Nail, hit, head.

It's not so much just that we're in Ireland and more that we've infrastructure owned by a company that appears to have no interest in actually maintaining it in favour of taking the short term gain rather than the long term investment. The "we're still in Ireland" bit comes into play when we just let them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem is that some of the cables underground can be decades old, and the insulation cracks over time, and water gets in when it rains which causes shorts, hence poor quality signals when it rains.

jesus i wasn't even thinking of underground cables. Well where i live right now all phone wires are above ground on poles going along the roads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[QUOTE=theciscokidNow that is something i have never heard of, how many years ago was this, could you possibly tell us the first three digits of that phone number? (at the time)[/QUOTE]

(01) 26 xxxx since upped to (01) 626 xxxx - a long time ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Yep, weather does seem to have an effect though in my case it actually gets better in wet weather! My dial-up speed rates between 40 - 44 kbps. In warm, sunny weather the connection speed will be 40 kbps or occasionally even lower, but in wet weather (and even better, cooler) the speed can increase to 44kbps. I've yet to see mine higher than 44kbps though.

still though even 44k is not that much, my connection speed varies between 34k and about 48k. but after all its all nothing compare to BroadishBand. :(

Advertisement