Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braces

• 19-08-2004 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

After flirting with TKD for a couple of months I am considering a change of MA. I'd like to try Muay Thai or BJJ but ,there's one small and expensive problem, I have braces.

Anyone here (trainers or trainees) have experience of braces and training in some of the contact MA's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I presume you mean traintracks or similar?

I had traintracks for years and played rugby. Once you get a good mouthguard you'll be fine. You could go to your dentist/orthodontist and ask for advice. The dentist made gumshield will cost, but its worth it I believe. Your dentist may be able to supply you with a "top and bottom" gumshield if you require.

Hope that helps :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Definitely go to you dentist and get a custom-made mouthguard. You'll need it for any contact sport so it's a good invest. I know people practising TKD who wear braces and have custom-made gumshields.

I got mine made by my dentist (I don't have braces, but wanted a good fitting gumshield) last Christmas. He threw it in for free with some other work, but I'd thoroughly recommend getting one made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

I can't see any problem with BJJ whilst wearing braces. In fact, I've known a few people who've rolled with them and I haven't heard any problems. I don't think these people had expensive gum shields either, but I'll check it out to be sure.

As for thai it might be worthwhile getting a dentists gumshield. I can imagine the traintracks cutting you gums when you get punched, and that wouldn't be nice.

paddyc should be able to answer your question re Thai, I imagine he'll be back posting after his match this Sat.

Rolo,
    Where were you considering doing BJJ?

-Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Where were you considering doing BJJ?
    Harold's Cross, me thinks, I live in the city centre.

2 quick and lazy questions because I have to say goodbye to the internet for the day-
    1. you can grade in BJJ, yeah?
    2. roughly ,without goin into too much detail, the ratio of strikes to holds in BJJ?

greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I played rugby when I had braces. My orthadontist however advised me against getting one of the dentist made gumshields for teh time being because my mouth shape would be changing enough that the gumshield would not fit great a couple of months after it was made. He just suggested one of the 10 euro place in boiling water jobbies because I can reshape them each week/month and they would give a good enough fit each time.
    They American Footballers haev mouth guards that cover upper and lower mouth, you could check in to those.

One other thing, I didn't wear a gumshield on teh lower teeth and often the lip would rip open when I got a hard knock but after a while the skin just gets toughened and it stops ripping open unless it is a serious heavy duty knock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Rolo,

You can grade in BJJ, and the great thing is, it's all performance based. You don't need to know a set number of techniques or anything like that. Quite simply, if you can roll at a blue belt level, you'll be awarded a blue belt.

In pure BJJ/Sub Wrestling, there are no strikes, it's all position and submission.
    Strikes are added in Vale Tudo training.

Make sure you tell John you were talking to me! I look forward to seeing you in the club.

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Rolo,

You can grade in BJJ, and the great thing is, it's all performance based. You don't need to know a set number of techniques or anything like that. Quite simply, if you can roll at a blue belt level, you'll be awarded a blue belt.
    Colm

Not neccessarly true colm, well in my club anyway. You've to know the names of the moves your doing for some parts of the grading. And for blackbelt at least, You've to know a load of patterns with sword/staff/tonfas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Mear,

Thats the difference between BJJ and traditional Jiu Jitsu.

Advertisement