Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wasps. why?

• 19-08-2004 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

them feckin little buggers are really getting on my nerves!! anyone got any home remedy's to get rid of them? cant afford wasp/fly spray :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Get a couple of jam jars. Fill them half way with water, and add a few spoons of sugar (that is if you can afford sugar) to each.
    The wasps should go to these rather than you.
    But, they'll also attract bees so you'll have to rescue these guys before they drown.
    happy hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you can always play knock out the wasps game, when on the ground after hitting them crush the bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

An open bottle of Lucozade on the windowsill.

They cant get enough of it. Then drown! The fools....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Mossy Monk wrote:
    you can always play knock out the wasps game, when on the ground after hitting them crush the bastards
    tried that yesterday. the bastard stung my hand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Hint: Don't use hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Dave wrote:
    Hint: Don't use hand.
    roflmao!

ever get the feeling they follow you on purpose just to piss u off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

lesson learned already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sitting outdoors at the beautiful Cabra Castle in Cavan the other day, we played Whack-A-Wasp with our beermats. They made an overly satisfying *thwack* noise when we made contact and fell in a confused writhing heap on the stoney ground before being squished underfoot.

The best suggestion is a bowl of water with sugar (or a small drop of beer) in it. We've left a few of them out the back of the hotel I work in at the moment because the bins full of empty beer bottles have attracted a huge amount of wasps and the part-time staff in the yard were getting stung to bits. It works. They're crap swimmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm always a bit paranoid one will fly into a can one day, and I'll end up with a swollen tongue, and no oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

I love the little fellas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Another variation on the half jar of water one is to smear the top half of the inside of the jar with jam or marmalade, or if you have a jar that is just finished and still has some stuck on the inside, half fill it with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

I hate wasps.:mad:
    Whenever one comes into my house i just spray the little fecker with disinfectant....
    Any spray thing would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

According to some guy on the radio this morning the thing to do is not to swipe at them as you when you lift your arm it causes them to be attracted to your sweaty armpit smell (hmm, go figure). Also, breathe through nose and not mouth as they are attracted also to smell of breath.

Basically, he said don't annoy them and they won't annoy you but tbh, I don't think I could follow his advice. Hate them too.

And according to one website, skunks will eat wasps so just head on down to your local pet shop and ask for your very own Pepe le Pew.

Very true. They won't sting you if you leave them alone. If they land on a window or a wall or a tree or whatever, they don't sting it. They won't sting you either if they land on you. I don't like them around my head and face, but if one lands elsewhere they walk around a bit and fly off. I was actually stung by a load of wasps once as a child, having inadvertently disturbed a nest. Still, I am not afraid of them. So if one lands on you, it won't sting you, if you leave it alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

My dog keeps our house wasp free. She runs around after them and catches them in her mouth and eats them! :eek:
    I've no idea how she doesn't end up with a swollen mouth or even suffocating... she must be getting stung in the mouth something awful :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Your all horrible people.

[Not to crazy about the new sig Ker]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

You cheekeh monkeh Jim!
    /me sends swarm of killer bees after Jimeatsmenu

[is the edited sig better Jimeatswaspstings?]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Flukey wrote:
    Another variation on the half jar of water one is to smear the top half of the inside of the jar with jam or marmalade, or if you have a jar that is just finished and still has some stuck on the inside, half fill it with water.

The Deluxe version involves cutting a plastic (1.5-2 litre) drinks bottle in half (horizontally, you never know..), smearing jam/honey around the edges of the lower half, filling with water then inverting the top half and installing it on the jammy water reservoir.

You now have your very own funnel of bees, with a choice of attractions between
    a) watching them drown
    b) watching the smarter ones pathetically try to wing their way back to safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

We have a nest of them in our pond.. every year a nest tries to be built in our shed. looks like they gave up and did it beside the pond.. feckers dug in. My dad tried filling it with sand and they dug a hole back in. My brother even poured parafin down the hole and it killed a lot but still not enough. He left a bottle outside the nest i think it has parafin and maybe some sugar or something.. anyway they go in the hole but cant get out.. there are laods of dead wasps.. i saw one get out though. I also sprayed water down there and the next day it was back open :D

They dont bother me usually.. If im eating lunch they would but i find that USUALLY if i leave a little but aside they will go to that instead. I remember last summer doing the king arthur extra thing that every time they came around looking for food i would put some on my finger and they would land on it and leave my other hand alone to feed my face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

dont wear bright coloured clothes and also if one lands on you dont jump around like a ****in eejet just remain calm and it will fly away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

douse yourself in cyanide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I HATE WASPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad: We had them in our kitchen roof and we had to get an exterminator out to kill them..One of our neighbours had them in the floor of a bedroom and they were coming up between the floorboards!!! :eek: I got stung by one once in the winter - I was in the back of my dads car and I pulled over my seat belt to close it...then I felt something on my hand and it was a wasp so i shook him onto the floor and smashed him to death with a lump hammer(the hammer just happened to be on the floor of the car that day). :p Oh and a friend of mine was driving on his bike once and a wasp flew into his helmet - he pulled over and jumped off the bike and threw the helmet on the ground which attracted some onlookers! :D
    Anyhoos what are wasps for?? I mean, bees make honey but wasps just annoy everybody....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I hate the feckers too.

I was in a beer garden the other day, trying in vain to enjoy a beer and every so often some of the little feckers would fly by. I would then lose all sense of reason and jump around like a madman trying to avoid them and swat them and escape from them (because they were of course out to get me, despite the fact that there were loads of people around me).

What is the point of wasps? Couldn't somebody invent some kind of virus that only affects wasps and wipes them off the face of this earth? That is if you could invent a virus. Or a genetically modified wasp that doesn't look so fierce, has no sting and doesn't make a buzzing sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

one of the f*ckers got caught under my watch when I was cycling and starting stinging me in the same spot over and over... My wrist doubled in size and I had to goto hospital !!

The thing I hate the most about them is that they follow you. Imagine your trying to impress a women by strutting your stuff down the street and then you have to jump and scream like a little girl because of these stalker wasps wont leave you alone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i spray them with domestos and that seems to kill them (they fall to the ground but are still moving) then a good kick finishes them off.

the worst thing about them is they hardly ever land on something solid so you can whack them with a paper, they just follow you around and buzz.

why the hell do people and zoo's etc house them and look after them?! bloody idiots. they do no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah wasps have been getting on my tits lately aswell... although roumer has it that they all die off towards the end of august anyway, so it'll all be over soon... for another year at least :)

SantaHoe wrote:
    Yeah wasps have been getting on my tits lately aswell... although roumer has it that they all die off towards the end of august anyway, so it'll all be over soon... for another year at least :)
    wear a better bra and tight tops :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Spray a wasp with deodorant, it will knock him out. While hes out cold get a thread and wrap it around him and tie a knot , now you have your own pet wasp on a lead !!!! it works

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I'm getting so damn sick of them now. Everytime i go out the back during work they are all over the place from idiots leaving lucozade and coke bottles out there.

Have to laugh though when i see a guy really freaking out and waving his hands like a lunatic. Ok i do it myself sometimes but when i see another person do it really animated it gives me a giggle. Maybe work is damaging my brain.

I got stung once, many moons ago, i sat on it. (well if someone sat on my i'm sure i'd sting them too) but i don't ever want to have to get stung again or the humilition of someone sticking an onion to my butt to get the sting out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tusky wrote:
    Spray a wasp with deodorant, it will knock him out. While hes out cold get a thread and wrap it around him and tie a knot , now you have your own pet wasp on a lead !!!! it works
    Wouldn't it just sting you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used to know a fella who did the beer can with a wasp in it thing. he'd have been happy to get stung on the tongue, but he swallowed the eveil little fecker and it stung him right down his throat and he came pretty close to choking until he got to the hospital and they gave him an injection to make the swelling go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

does anyone know what their purpose is?

a search of google brings up many more asking the same question :(

Like most insects, wasps feed on other insects that themselves cause problems.

One came into the bathroom this morning while I was shaving. I got him out the window and after he returned I got him out again and closed the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And that's why it was the Best Summer Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

A long time ago,

I ingeniusly swated one down the ground with my hand from my shoulder and decedied it was pay back time. I steped on him only to discover i was barefooted and the fecker stung me in to the sole of my foot. The pain was unreal.
    My neighbour recently had an invasion of them,
    They cut some hedges and disturbed the nest, so the whole lot quite handily relocated for them into the garden shed through the holes where the wood knots had fell out.
    Chemical weaponary was called upon after four consecutive stings,
    3 cans of vapona wasp & fly killer were sprayed into the shed, they must have had mini gas masks or something. They very hurriedly relocated back to the nest before it could kill them. In the finish a gallon of petrol was thrown over the bush and a match thrown from a distance. They were sizzleing in seconds and about time too.

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

netwhizkid wrote:
    In the finish a gallon of petrol was thrown over the bush and a match thrown from a distance. They were sizzleing in seconds and about time too.

...like music to my ears....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Just for the record....

put out a marmalade jar and a chutney jar on saturday for our yellow and black chums. The current body count in the 'Trousers back garden is 49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Apparently some Buddhist monks* carry a brush with them wherever they go. They use this brush to brush away the land ahead of them. They do this so as to not kill any living being that may get crushed underfoot.

yer all murderers!

(*may not be Buddhist monks...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

All you feckin eejits puttin out lucozade bottles and Jam jars.
    Dont do it!!
    You'll only attract those little bastards even more!! At home last year me and my my sis put out an empty jam jar in the back garden. We thought it was the perfect place to put it! Until my Dad started cutting the grass. :D:D If only i had a camcorder! :p

Oh by the way i think this thread should be posted in the humour section. Its hilarious!! :D

Poor Smak! Hows da hand? :D Must have really swelled out!

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    In the finish a gallon of petrol was thrown over the bush and a match thrown from a distance. They were sizzleing in seconds and about time too.

Regards netwhizkid
    uum bbq wasps sounds delightful :D

I read in the paper that they are expecting them to last well into November this year. Next month the queen will kick them out of the nest making them more aggressive. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Flukey wrote:
    I read in the paper that they are expecting them to last well into November this year. Next month the queen will kick them out of the nest making them more aggressive. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! :eek:

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i'll be keeping my visor closed so.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Man I'm down with the wasps. They like it when you stroke their little hairy heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Flukey wrote:

well flukey after the number we did on those ants last month, that overgrown whore wont stand a ****ing chance.

'wasps'...'waaasps'

even saying it makes me wanna start killin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I hate them so much.

My friend had a wasp nest underneath her room once...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Flukey wrote:

More aggressive? Then when people swing their arms to kill them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

little bastards with wings

Apart from going near my face, I don't mind them! When they land on you they walk around a bit and then fly off. They'll only sting if you attack them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement