Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wasps. why?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Flukey wrote:
    Apart from going near my face, I don't mind them! When they land on you they walk around a bit and then fly off. They'll only sting if you attack them.

I'm tellin ya kid, tickle behind their ears and they'll bring you gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

When I was a kid we used to capture them in empty Jam Jars/bottles. The trick was to get as many as possible into 1 Jar (obviously with a lid on it). When we had a good few caught we would throw the Jar (a great distance so as not to get stung) and the bottle would smash. Twas great fun.

We were mad when I was young fella :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I sent one over a 10 foot wall with a table tennis bat. The funny thing was that it was mid-game and I won the point. Dont think the wasp fared as well though!

I hate it when they stay in the same area and Im always weary when their around. Is it a territorial thing that they always stay around the same area??

Jam > Lucozade when trying to catch wasps. With the marmalade, they are stuck there, whereas with the lucozade they have a chance of getting out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Is it me or does there seem to be more of them around this year?

Here are some links i found about them:
    Spiders Use 3D webs to shield from wasps

PDF Wasp Indetity Doc from Davis Entomology UC

Lots of wasp links from World Wide Entomology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Gordon wrote:
    Apparently some Buddhist monks* carry a brush with them wherever they go. They use this brush to brush away the land ahead of them. They do this so as to not kill any living being that may get crushed underfoot.

yer all murderers!

(*may not be Buddhist monks...)

They do this because of the whole reincarnation thing. Just in case any insect is the reincarnated soul of their mother or something.

I personally don't like wasps, but I certainly wouldn't kill them unprovoked. I generally try and not kill insects and don't go all mental swinging my arms etc when wasps are around me, and I've never been stung. What have we learned?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jam > Lucozade when trying to catch wasps. With the marmalade, they are stuck there, whereas with the lucozade they have a chance of getting out!

Plus, the extra energy from the lucozade gives them a fighting chance.
    They do this because of the whole reincarnation thing. Just in case any insect is the reincarnated soul of their mother or something.

Or more likely just in case the dead wasp reincarnates as a jumbo-super-deathwasp and gets all Kali on their asses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Since ye all like killing wasps so much, heres a hint, cover yourself in jam or sugar and run outside for awhile. You'll see you'll be spoiled for choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Since ye all like killing wasps so much, heres a hint, cover yourself in jam or sugar and run outside for awhile. You'll see you'll be spoiled for choice.
    I'll pay to see any one do that*

* = Must be in Summer and in the immediate vicinity of a wasp nest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I'll pay to see any one do that*

* = Must be in Summer and in the immediate vicinity of a wasp nest

Ha ha! So whos up 4 it?? :p:D

• Advertisement

Whatever ye do DONT squish them. When squashed they release a pheromone that attracts other angrier wasps checking out who's been killing their mates.

Its around this time of the year that they go absolutely spastic. As someone mentioned previously they've been kicked out of the nest and are really p*ssed off.
    Its kinda like when you're in a night club and its nearly closing time and you havent scored yet. You'll stick it anywhere just to get rid of the sting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Wasps are the skangers of the insect world.
    That's not a buzz you hear as they fly by, it's a tiny voice repeating over and over "Are ye lookin at me? Are ye startin ?"
    If you look at them closely through a magnifying glass you will see that they have tiny Nike and Kappa emblems on their tiny black and yellow hoodies.
    Just they other day I saw one with a Burberry baseball hat and the tiniest Sovereign ring you could imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

That's the wasp version of the celtic jersey too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

another reason not to kill them is that all their mates will come for the funeral!!! and thats wrose than a travellers funeral :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hagar wrote:
    Wasps are the skangers of the insect world.
    That's not a buzz you hear as they fly by, it's a tiny voice repeating over and over "Are ye lookin at me? Are ye startin ?"
    If you look at them closely through a magnifying glass you will see that they have tiny Nike and Kappa emblems on their tiny black and yellow hoodies.
    Just they other day I saw one with a Burberry baseball hat and the tiniest Sovereign ring you could imagine.
    LOL :p:p:p:p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They are nothing, and they are not known to attack humans unless provoked – I’m guessing you’ve never had to stay in a place where there was loads of midgets (the insect type).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Wasps are cool. But midges .... jaysus that's another story.
    I love laughing at people who jump up and start swinging their arms when a wasp goes near them. Hilarious. I bet the wasps are laughing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

NotMe wrote:
    Wasps are cool. But midges .... jaysus that's another story.
    I love laughing at people who jump up and start swinging their arms when a wasp goes near them. Hilarious. I bet the wasps are laughing too.
    oh got those **** i went on camp with the fca during the sunmmer and we were all ate alive by them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There are definitely a lot more of them about, but don't annoy them and they'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Or do what I do and destroy the atmosphere. We'll see who's laughing when they aint got no ecosystem left

Advertisement