Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seaweed as a fertiliser

Options
  • 19-08-2004 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I know people use just your normal Irish seaweed in their gardens... my question is how? For one thing, I always thought salt damaged plants, does the salt in the seaweed have a bad effect?
    Do you lay it down on top of the soil or put it under the soil?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I know that some organic farmers use seaweed to fertilise their land, but that's on a large scale, spread over acres of grass. It's supposed to increase the calcium levels of the grass, as well as other minerals, and it is supposed to be wonderful for improving the quality of the soil. I have heard nothing about the salt causing problems, maybe you could check the soil association website or some generic organic farming sites..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Are their any by-laws or other such restrictions on removing seaweed from shores or beaches? Theres tons of the stuff not far from me but I never see anybody collecting it.

Advertisement