Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birthdays

• 19-08-2004 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm bored today.
    Had a look at the Calendar (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/calendar.php?) and apart from January 1st, February 21st and September 9th are the days which have the most birthdays with 23!
    Isn't that amazing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, September is 9 months after Christmas/new years so understandable enough ;-)

Is there anything special about the middle of May? Start of summer weather makes people horny or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what do you know, 14 others on boards share my birthday

well, 14 others who want there birthdays known at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, September is 9 months after Christmas/new years so understandable enough ;-)

Is there anything special about the middle of May? Start of summer weather makes people horny or something?

People who want a new year baby and just can't count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Its funny seeing the Bank Holiday babies - for example, the ones around St. Patricks day date back to the Whit weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

are you saying unplanned pregnancies :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was a planned one, thats why I know THE date for me but i do know a lot of bank holiday babies...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

also know as woopababies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

woOt7 people share their birthday with me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Someone said that the chances of someone having the same birthday as you are 25 to 1. So if you have 25 peeps in a room at least two of yee have the same birthday! Cool or what?
    Kinda makes sense as my Auntie, a friend of mine and I have the same birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

PH01 wrote:
    Someone said that the chances of someone having the same birthday as you are 25 to 1.
    Another triumph of statistics over maths. :rolleyes:

Theres 5 boardsies with their birthday on 29th february. :D

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    Theres 5 boardsies with their birthday on 29th february. :D
    Aw, those poor peeps only get to celebrate their birthday every four years! Though they do age less (but they do tend to die younger - average age 17 ro so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

PH01 wrote:
    Someone said that the chances of someone having the same birthday as you are 25 to 1. So if you have 25 peeps in a room at least two of yee have the same birthday! Cool or what?

both my dad and one of my sisters have the same birthday (april 26th) freaky or what

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

I know some twins with the same birthday. freaky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

16 people on boards have the same birthday as meee...... :cool:
    but there could be more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

There's about 14 people with the same birthday as me on boards (that we know of)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I know a guy who was born on the same date as his brother, except 3 years apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Yeah my mam was born on the same day as my aunt...but a few years apart.....weird!! :eek:

Id hate to share my birthday with someone else because then i'd get crap presents!!!!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Three of my friends have the same birthday, to of them being born on the same day.

And I know a couple of people who share their birthday with yer man, Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PH01 wrote:
    Yeah, it's one of those things that seems rather quirky.

It's actually at 23 people where the probability of two people having the same birthday is more likely than no people having the same birthday (at 23 it crosses the p(0.5) threshold (0.5073)). So at 23 people it's about as likely that two people do share the same birthday as no two people sharing a birthday. In a group of 60 people the probability is 0.994 so with 60 people in a room it's pretty unlikely that two of them don't share the same birthday.

(the formula's 1 - (365)(364)(363)...(365 - N + 1)/(365)^N. It gets a shedload more complicated if we include February 29)

Sharing birthdays is one thing, but having it on Christmas day has got to be a bummer. Though you do get twice as much presents and bragging rights - "Jesus and I have the same birthdays"

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    Yeah, it's one of those things that seems rather quirky.

It's actually at 23 people where the probability of two people having the same birthday is more likely than no people having the same birthday (at 23 it crosses the p(0.5) threshold (0.5073)). So at 23 people it's about as likely that two people do share the same birthday as no two people sharing a birthday. In a group of 60 people the probability is 0.994 so with 60 people in a room it's pretty unlikely that two of them don't share the same birthday.

(the formula's 1 - (365)(364)(363)...(365 - N + 1)/(365)^N. It gets a shedload more complicated if we include February 29)

Or you could take the data from the calendar board. Work out the average number of birthdays per day. Take that average and devide it by the number in the sample, and there you have the probability for the board. Crazy maths or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

sceptre wrote:
    Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

What was that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

PH01 wrote:
    OK, I'm bored today.
    Had a look at the Calendar (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/calendar.php?) and apart from January 1st, February 21st and September 9th are the days which have the most birthdays with 23!
    Isn't that amazing?
    After Hours rats are scum.

Advertisement