Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember "The Slate"?

• 19-08-2004 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I just remembered this great magazine today.

Does anyone know why it stopped? It was hilarious, and even if it were NOT free it would still have been great...

Ah shame...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I forget why it stopped. I think it might have been because alot of their sponsors weren't renewing contracts or something. I have the last issue around at home somewhere. They were supposed to release some special edition that you had to pay for a while ago. I don't know if that ever went through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Yeah they did release a "best of" - see http://www.theslate.ie for info.

Coincidentally, the ex-editor lived in my ex-apartment before me (I never met him though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

The guys got fed up.

It was a load of work didn't pay well, so they went and got proper jobs. (well kinda one became a PA on the Dunphy show)

Well and truly missed their club reviews were spot on and I'd always be guarenteed a good night on the back of their recommendation.

My fav was for Judge Jules (we've run over things to say about this c**t, it seems like he's over here every month, we've slagged off his s***e music, his poxy glasses, and his ugly girlfriend, if you go to see him you deserve everything you get)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Met one of the creators of it there last weekend had a short conversation with him about it - lawusits they were threatened with etc. Basically though I think they just wanted to move on and do other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

you can sometimes tell the quality of a thing by the amount of lawsuits it attracts :)

holy **** its pissing outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Yeah great magazine-pity its gone nothing really like it around.Was always guaranteed to be funny.

Whoa my thousanth post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

congrats orangerooster

even if they couldn't renew contracts etc. they should have continued as an online mag. oh well... the memory remains, as they say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

great mag alright.
    Sometimes it was just sick (but funny) and sometimes it was actually good satire... sorely missed read, you get a lot less when you buy... well anything else

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Can you still buy the best of online? It appears so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

i loved the mag

but i did notice that as it came towards it's end only half the articles were good - and there was a bunch of ****e ones ... you could tell by the writing style that they were completely diff. writers... nevertheless the best days in college were always the days the slate same out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Kick the cat was brilliant. I used to love that mag. They would plonk a load of them on a table in my college and straight away there were crowds of people trying to get it. Ye had to battle to get a copy!

Advertisement