Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop now slow booting ans shutting down...

Options
  • 19-08-2004 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My laptop is under a year old. I frequently scan for viruses, spyware and defrag.

It used to boot & shut down very quickly (less than 3 - 5 seconds each.)

Now it takes maybe 10 seconds each.

I'm using Windows XP.

Is there anything I can do about this?

What would cause this??

Thanks,

JV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

There is no way that it took 3 or 5 seconds for Windows XP to boot...

Are you sure that you weren't resuming from hibernation or standby?

10 seconds is still a VERY fast boot time. The design aim was to have a boot of less than 30 seconds.
    What applications have you recently installed, and what applications are set to launch on startup and/or logon?

Have you defragged your laptop recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

It defo was about 3 - 5 seconds to boot. And not from hibernation! Seriously, it booted shockingly fast (or at least, got onto the login screen.)

It would shut down near instant as well.

The only software I've "installed" recently is a load of spyware which got onto my PC after I forgot I had changed my security settings. It took my a lot fo hassle to get rid of it all (adaware, spyboy, spyware doctor and bazooka say I'm now clean.)

Could this adware have changed some system settings or ****ed something up?

Bastards...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

10 secs? even a machine with 2x 15K RPM RAID array and a reasonable processor wont boot that fast. Either you watch is messed up or you are in standby!

you can do a repair installation of windows AKA "dirty install" that will try to patch up your OS. Then give it a defrag.

does it behave any different than before when its fully booted?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've had similar problems with my dell laptop after running all the XP updates. one of the recent ones seems to clag everything up.

seem to remember something about some of the code for the sp2 beta doing all the damage.

there was posts about it being bad for laptops a while ago on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Tricky one Johnny.
    Takes about 22 odd seconds for my laptop too boot....This is a fresh XP Pro SP1 install too......3.06 P4...60Gb 4200rpm hdd.

Try getting Bootvis.exe from MS (Actully not sure if they support it anymore?) to optimize the boot time and also to maybe spot what is the holdup on boot. The boot time on the fresh install was 33 seconds and Bootvis got that down to 22sec. I'll email it to you if you can't find it and wanna check it out. The shutdown prob is a tad more difficult. You've tried the usual cleanboot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Johnny Versace, I really fail to see how you think you can get it faster...it's phycically (logically) impossible...

Advertisement