Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking Ban Causing Despair

• 19-08-2004 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭

Some hilarious quotes in this article (I've highlighted them in bold). I'll bet €20 with anyone that this guy is either (a) a smoker, or (b) part owner of a pub (or somehow linked to the business).
    Smoking ban causing despair, claims TD
    19/08/2004 - 5:23:12 PM

The smoking ban should be reconsidered as it is leading to despair among some people, the Government was told today.

Independent TD Finian McGrath launched a no-holds-barred attack on the ban, telling Health Minister Micheál Martin it was hitting tourism and forcing people to smoke outside bars making them easier prey for drug dealers.

Urging the minister to consider the downside of the ban, the Dublin North Central TD said: “It is having a negative impact on people’s social activities and is leading to despair.

“So far we have the following: elderly pensioners forced to sit at home; smokers are extremely angry and feel the ‘nanny state’ is interfering in their private lives.

“The majority are forcing their views on the minority of smokers. People addicted to smoking need understanding and support not lectures from the ‘health police’.

“Thousands of smokers are now cancelling weekends away to Galway or Kerry and looking abroad for their breaks. This is damaging to Irish tourism.

“Foreign visitors from Spain and France are dismayed by our laws and lack of tolerance. This will in time reduce the numbers visiting Ireland.

“Young people forced to stand outside pubs for a cigarette are now easy target for drug pushers. They do not have to worry about security staff at the door and can distribute the drugs easily.

“Women are now more at risk standing outside.”

Mr McGrath said complaints about noise and anti-social behaviour had also increased since the ban was introduced in March.

The ban also covers workplaces including restaurants. Norway has also banned smoking in bars and restaurants.

Widows who smoked, Mr McGrath claimed, were now imprisoned in their homes and couldn’t go to the pub for a drink and chat.

Elderly men who smoke pipes were also being excluded.

The Dublin North Central TD called for rooms to be set aside in bars and clubs for smokers.

“The way forward is to designate rooms in each pub with tables and chairs for smokers without staff and then everyone’s rights are respected and accommodated,” he argued.

“I would urge the minister to think again on this important social issue.”

In July, Co Galway publican Padraig Folan became the first owner of a bar to be prosecuted for flouting the ban.

Mr Folan, whose pub is in the village of Lettermore, Connemara, was fined €1,200 for breaching the legislation and ordered to pay €500 in costs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just read this on the examiner website and I must say that I nearly pis*ed myself laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The one thing I have to say to all these people is
    sucks to be you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

heh heh..he is saying that the lives of all this smokers are being hindered by the smoking ban, but this just shows now how much control ciggarettes have over these peoples lives (how ironic)....and as for the drug dealers “Young people forced to stand outside pubs for a cigarette are now easy target for drug pushers. :p ..[sarcasm] sure they might aswell get hooked another drug while they're at it :p [sarcasm]...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In fairness, the rip off-culture of this country is FAR more to blame than the smoking ban. I, like most smokers I know, personally have no problems with it. I can understand why some people do, but the only time it gets to me is on train journeys (cos you can't exactly step outside, can ye?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

“Foreign visitors from Spain and France are dismayed by our laws and lack of tolerance. This will in time reduce the numbers visiting Ireland.
    Great stuff, I won't have to listen to them babbling in their whacky gobeldy-gook language on the bus every day during the summer then.

Is it illegal to clip your toenails in a resturaunt and try'n aim them at peoples plates?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Dublin North Central TD called for rooms to be set aside in bars and clubs for smokers.

I agree. They should license as many rooms as had been reserved , smoke free and enforced for non-smokers before the ban.

I think there'd be a total of like 5 rooms in the greater Dublin area..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some hilarious statements... The smoking ban forces old people to stay at home.. Hmmm, sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

In fairness it wouldn't kill them to run a compettition for certain pubs to get smoking licenses...
    Finish this sentence in 25 words or less:
    I think I should get a smoking license because __________ _____________ __________.
    Then take all entries and put them in a hat, pick one pub from every county.
    Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Jesus im a smoker and that article disgusts even me. What a load of crap compared to the health benifits to those that dont smoke. Load of nonsense. The ban makes sense and it really annoys me when people in the public spotlight say things like that. MAybe the smoking room in a bar would be an okay idea if it wasnt staffed and well sealed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Would you buy a fag off this man?
    84.jpg

As I thought it is too much to ask that a list of members interests be posted on the Oireachtas website. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

pclancy wrote:
    MAybe the smoking room in a bar would be an okay idea if it wasnt staffed and well sealed....

Maybe an airtight room. Sounds good to me. LOL

The only drug dealers around are those smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The smokers aren't being forced to go out. It is their own choice. No one is coming up to them and saying "You, get a cigarette and go outside and smoke it." It is purely their own choice to do so. As the the cold and rain, well, the way I look at it is that if they are not worried about lung cancer they certainly won't be bothered by a bit of pneumonia, and, like I just said, no one is forcing them to go out. The open air is a fully air-conditioned, all-weather smoking room. What more could they want? I have no sympathy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks for bolding the funny bits Dave. I think the youngsters outside being easy prey for dealers and the poor widows at home were my two favourites.

I rather like SantaHoe's suggestion, we don't see enough slogan competitions these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the only thing id find he has a point with is the really old guys who used to enjoy their pint and fag/pipe. i wouldnt fancy standing outside in irish weather if i was 80 (and i know people will say then give them up but honestly, if your that old would you be bothered?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone have an email address for this joker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭zervi2003

I dont understand why a lot of ye here find this funny and are poking fun at other people!

It must be great being up on such a high pedestal looking down on all the ordinary folk.

Mind ye dont fall off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Wasn't Finian McGrath elected to the Dáil as part of the "Independent Health Alliance"? Ironic, given his current stance on the smoking ban...

I wouldn't call a TD "ordinary folk". He's full of shít and deserves to have fun poked at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm sick and tired of pub owners and the like complaining about the smoking ban.

If they'd drop their drink prices, business WILL pick up.

Well done on the government for bringing in the ban. Good luck to all who try and get it relaxed... it'll never happen in IMHO.

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

sceptre wrote:
    Thanks for bolding the funny bits Dave. I think the youngsters outside being easy prey for dealers and the poor widows at home were my two favourites.

I rather like SantaHoe's suggestion, we don't see enough slogan competitions these days.
    I'd like to see more slogan competitions because _____________________________________ (8 words or less)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I think the smoking ban is a crock of sh1t myself, but it is a bit outlandish alright to suggest pushers are targeting smokers standing outside pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭zervi2003

Was in a pub at the weekend.

Came to closing time.

Good craic going on in the bar.

Just a few of us left for another few pints.

Figured we are illegal drinking so we might as well be illegally smoking too.

Nothing was said (heck the owner was puffin away too!)

Looked around and EVERYONE was so smiley and happy.

Had a lovely pint and a few fags. Ah t'was lovely.

I dont normally flout the Laws and in every day situations I will go outside for a smoke (even in friends houses etc-I dont mind). Its the nanny state thing (and the people on those very high pedestals) that gets up everyones' behinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

re late drinking (and smoking)

Done that too...have to concur it's a nice aul feeling.

*covers ears from inevitable shrieks from usual suspects that it's BREAKING THE LAW*

:D

I see that there's talk of health board officials wanting to 'ride' shotgun with the guards on late night raids.

jesus, as they say, wept....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

typedef signed long long QUAD;

QUAD sympathy_level(QUAD sympathy);

int main(int argc, char** argv){

sympathy_level(-1);
    }

QUAD sympathy_level(QUAD sympathy){
            return (sympathy ? sympathy : sympathy_level(--sympathy));
    };

:rolleyes:

I thought i was sad with 8000 posts, but dude, you really take the (soggy) biscuit with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I spent a week bringing Americans to pubs and restaurants.. eh.. loosing business? We could not get in to a lot of places they are so full and none were in any way short on customers. In fact they gained customers like me, someone who NEVEr went to pubs because i could not stand the smell.. to someone who loves it now!!! I did not even drink as a result of this and other reasons.. now i drink!! Though prices are the main problem.. a lot more business in off licence i think now that the prices keep going up.
    If smokers have a problem with the law.. then quit, save a fortune, save your health and stop infecting us with your disease (YES DISEASE!!!)

Advertisement