Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN to ADSL

• 19-08-2004 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I am switching from isdn to adsl and am wondering what exquipment i will need to get a home network running with 2 pcs both connected to the internet, bear in mind having the 2 pcs connected is a temporary thing as im bring mine to my student house soon. If any1 could help me setting up my network and pointing me in the way of what equipment would work best, it would be much appreciated.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

As you are a Northern - Joe90

heres the BT - guide for home networking..

it has everything you'll need to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

j0e9o wrote:
    I am switching from isdn to adsl and am wondering what exquipment i will need to get a home network running with 2 pcs both connected to the internet, bear in mind having the 2 pcs connected is a temporary thing as im bring mine to my student house soon. If any1 could help me setting up my network and pointing me in the way of what equipment would work best, it would be much appreciated.

Joe
    If you are connecting to the ADSL modem using the USB port, then the cheapest way join the two computers might be via a crossover patch cable connected to the network ports. Then set up internet connection sharing on the computer with the modem.

If your two computers already have network ports, then the only extra equipment would be the crossover cable. It is important to get the right cable as 'straigth' network cable won't without a hub or switch between the two computers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

And just in case you're currently down south (or someone else is wondering the same):

Eircom and presumably most other providers now provide a DSL modem/router as standard. This will do fine for a single PC. If you have multiple PCs, you'll need to add a small network switch or hub - about EU30 from your local PC parts supplier. (You won't need a fancy "firewall" style device - that's pretty much handled by the ISP-supplied router.)

While the crossover / USB suggestion above will work, with some effort, keeping the DSL connection separate from the PCs makes more sense, since it means one PC doesn't need to be turned on to allow the other one to surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

rite so this is my set up i get 10m crossover cable connect the 2 computers to each other using it, then purchase a usb modem and use it to connect my pc to the net. does this sound rite?

j0e9o wrote:
    rite so this is my set up i get 10m crossover cable connect the 2 computers to each other using it, then purchase a usb modem and use it to connect my pc to the net. does this sound rite?
    While this may work, you're really better off getting a proper DSL router. Most of them come with a 4-port switch as standard now, so you could do away with cross-over cables and wouldn't even need a separate hub or switch to get the PCs connected to each other (and the router).

It depends what your provider gives you to start with; you may not need to buy any DSL equipment at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

nah im just getting connection no exquipment would this here Zyxel Prestige 630 Series USB ADSL modem do the job or would i still need crossover cables?

j0e9o wrote:
    nah im just getting connection no exquipment would this here Zyxel Prestige 630 Series USB ADSL modem do the job or would i still need crossover cables?
    Should do, but with some hassle; you'd still need a cross-over cable, plus gateway software running on the main PC to share the connection. Plus PC firewall to protect you from the Internet.

I'd go for something like this myself (Netgear ADSL modem/router + 4-port switch + firewall), which avoids all that hassle. No doubt others can make better suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

j0e9o wrote:
    Eircom and IOL/ESAT both provide 2 port modem/routers by default. (1 ethernet, 1 USB port). You can plug one PC into the thernet port, and the other into the USB port, and both can use the newtirk atthe same time, with no additional expense.

Advertisement