Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV BB That was quick!!!!

• 19-08-2004 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

When I came back from my holidays last week I decided to go broadband and after much viewing of these boards and deliberation I decided to go with UTV mainly because there 4 month trial and because I don't really play games that much.

I signed up on the 11th of August and got my confermation email that day and thought it was going to take at least 15 working days and after reading to alot of horror stories here I was expecting 3-6 weeks.

But low and behold yesterday I got my confirmation email yesterday the 18th onLy 5 WORKING DAYS AND on arrives my modem today and now I'm surfing at 512.0kbps

Thats a total of only 6 working days :):)

For all the knockers of UTV beat that :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

I applied to Esat for the 3 month trial on June 30th.Last Thursday after enquiring, I was given the most sincere apology for the delay by the team supervisor(?). He said that from then on he would personally supervise my application. Yesterday after being unable to contact him I was told by one of the sales team that the same supervisor had never heard of me. Eventually he rang back and told me it would be another 3 weeks b4 I got broadband.
    Yesterday I sent a complaint to the Department Manager by e-mail. Of course I did not got a reply.
    I think I'll give UTV a call.
    I would be interested to hear of other peoples' experiences with Esat/UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'm amazed people are still going with UTV after the experience of the last 2 months. I hope for your sake there are no more problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

Cant beat eircom for pings So I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UTV is pinging a typical 40-44ms since the upgrade...

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    UTV is pinging a typical 40-44ms since the upgrade...

Mike.

Haha yeah right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

substr wrote:
    Haha yeah right

C:\WINDOWS> ping www.u.tv

Pinging www.u.tv [194.46.8.120] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 194.46.8.120: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=61
    Reply from 194.46.8.120: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=61
    Reply from 194.46.8.120: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=61
    Reply from 194.46.8.120: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 194.46.8.120:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 39ms, Average = 38ms

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

PING clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): 56 octets data
    64 octets from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=43.1 ms
    64 octets from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=38.6 ms
    64 octets from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=39.2 ms
    64 octets from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=39.5 ms
    64 octets from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=40.0 ms

--- clarity.jolt.co.uk ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 38.6/40.0/43.1 ms

Oh
    That would suffice for my gaming purposes.
    I think I will choose UTV Clicksilver over Eircom Starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Be aware that pings are ~80 to irish servers. If you play soley on UK servers its perfect though. If irish pings are important I suggest IOL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Clicksilver's performance is excellent at the moment but......... it was very similar to this level after the last major broadband upgrade (around Easter) and within a very short space of time ping performance worsened considerably and before very long had reached their worst levels ever.

It is only after six months of the current levels of service (i.e. that which other ISP customers take for granted) that I will really begin to believe that UTV have turned the corner. The present performance shows what UTV are capable of so why have pings in the past been allowed to be so poor?

I have asked UTV in the support group to commnent on whether all the upgrade work has been completed and if we can now look forward to consistency for the foreseeable future. One would think that in view of recent events they would be anxious to give an update but there has been no response.

• Advertisement
Advertisement