Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Favorite Song/Tune?

• 19-08-2004 8:04pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I LOVE Táimse im coladh and Rí na Síog.

And Spancil Hill as well.

How bout you lot?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I know it's cliched, but I think 'The Lonesome Boatman' would have to be my favourite trad song of all time. It's just so haunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The Mero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Christy Moore's version of 'Black Is the Colour' - gets me everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

At the moment it's Andy Irvine singing that Blacksmithereens song (I heard him live with Mozaik doing it and I have him with Planxty here). Truly great song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

"Red Haired Mary" I'm particularly fond of since learning it in a pub in Skibereen years ago ( never heard it recorded though)

, when a bit nostalgic I like "song for ireland" and "the town i loved so well"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

Current favourite is Dolores Keanes version of Heart like a Wheel.

Let the Dance begin,
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Paul Bradys version of "The Lakes of Pontchartrain". His voice is incredible in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Lyra

j1979p wrote:
    Paul Bradys version of "The Lakes of Pontchartrain". His voice is incredible in it!

also his version of "Arthur McBride" . Can't pick one favourite tune there are so many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VanUsal

Andy Irvines 'As I Roved Out' from the new Planxty CD/DVD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

A couple of people have mentioned Andy Irvine songs on this thread, and a couple more have mentioned Paul Brady songs. For the benefit of the uninitiated, the two made an album together in the 70's, and it is stunning. It is the album where Paul Brady first introduced us to his arrangement of 'Arthur McBride', although the re-recording he did for his Greatest Hits is admittedly better. The album is eponymously titled 'Andy Irvine and Paul Brady', and I would highly recommend it to any and all Trad fans.

I only finally got my copy about a year ago, after months of trying. I ordered it off Amazon countless times, and on each occasion, about a month later I would receive an email saying 'sorry, out of stock, we cannot fulfill your order'. I think the site I finally ordered it from was one that is linked to from Andy Irvine's site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

His version of Arthur McBride is better than the Planxty one. My favourtie traditional music songs? There are loads so I won't even start to tell you. Here is the Andy Irvine site:

http://www.andyirvine.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Chulin my own personal favorite, its the only tune I can play on the fiddle without messing it up :D

Would also include the Marino Waltz as well.

Advertisement