Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you smell books?

• 19-08-2004 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I do! I love the smell of paper but most people think it's really weird that I do that.

Are people neglecting their sense of smell?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I prefer the smell of magazines.

That toxic but pleasant smell.

Or the smell of trading cards fresh from their foil packets (especially if they've had chewing gum in there as well!!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yep.

Another smell, copies, at the start of a school year. Granted I'm going to college now, so I dunno what I'll do without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'd imagine everyone does it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

You guys are weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's not all that weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I smell alot of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

baby enfant books smell the best...i love them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just new books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

I love the smell of a new book but my books smell like crap after a few weeks because I smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I smell books to see what kind of life they've had.
    Can't beat the smell of a book with yellowish pages and brown/black spots.... mmm damp.
    I also give any suspect stains a sniff, just out of curiosity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Yes I'm a book smeller too.

Amazing to think that in the heady days of the dot com boom, the end of printed books was predicted.

I've always been a book fanatic. I'm always reminded that at a young age I had this crusty old electronics book belonging to my Father which was my equivalent of a blanket or a teddy bear that other children had. I would not go to bed without my little book and I went everywhere with it.

I also liked Sesame Street

Hurrah for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The result of excessive sniffing...

10747734810907.gif

...esp near the spine.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lady^Jane

I love the smell of those yellowish papers where they usually use in novels..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Yeah i always smell new books too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the lingin acid that does it....deep sniff now! :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

i most like sniffing books about women's underwear.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

New books and even some older ones can have a nice smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

New books have the nicest smell, but they usually all smell alike. Older books have more distinct smells I think
    (note to self: stop displying so much knowledge about the smell of books!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

I find that different 2nd hand books tend to have different smells depending on he category ie sci fi, fantasy, horror, crime. Maybe I've got a gift or maybe I'm just getting the same people's old books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I love the smell of old books. In the Long Room Old Library in Trinity College upstairs they have a quarter of a million old and early printed books. the smell is overwhelming even before you get up the stairs. New school books always used to smell great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Yeah me too - new and old. Why is it we find ourselves attracted to these toxic smells? New books, magazines, petrol, plastic (the smell of a new car)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Boot polish has it's own distinct smell, which I love. Most people seem to hate it, though

I love the smell of books, but I hate the smell of petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

do you know what smells nice ? rain. you know when its really hot outside and then it starts to rain and you can just smell it.it is said that your sense of smell is the most effective memory trigger..i can still remember what my old house smelt like..thats another thing, have you noticed that every family kind of has their own distinct scent? usually has to do with the washing powder they use..like all my family's clothes smell kind of lemony..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

thats another thing, have you noticed that every family kind of has their own distinct scent? usually has to do with the washing powder they use..like all my family's clothes smell kind of lemony..

Definitely agree with that. And I thought it was just me that noticed that?!?

Petrol, firelighters and fairly heavy duty permanent markers are top of my nostril enticing items.

Along with food and the laydeez....they're nice to smell too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Car exhaust fumes used to do it for me till they changed to unleaded :(

Advertisement