Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are all 1.4civic hatchbacks Vtec engines?

Options
  • 19-08-2004 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

I believe some insurance companies wont cover Vtec engines,, or at least cover young drivers in Vtecs.

I was thinking of maybe getting one, but are there any with non Vtec engines? And if so, is this "non vtec" engine any good? Good as in reliabale, not neccessilarily powerful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

No 1.4 Civic is a VTEC.

The standard 1.4 Civic is an aluminium engine with max power output as 90 bhp at 6,200 rpm. Insurance companies seem to thing that these are lethal and seem to load the insurance policy. Great fun to drive.

In the 6th Generation civic there was also the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8. Depending on the car body these maybe VTEC or not.

Don't worry about not having VTEC as the 1.4s really motors enough and that all-round double wishbone suspension gives the handling that beats the socks off even top of the range marques.

As for reliability, it a Honda and their engines are impeccible.

JayoK

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

jayok wrote:
    No 1.4 Civic is a VTEC.

hate to argue with you but there is actually a 1.4 vtec civic!!

mate of mine has one and was very surprised when he got it as he taught the same!!

it's the 92-96 model hatch back!!

mind you I've never seen another one!!

back to the topic though when you ring any insurance company (in my experience) and say anythin bout a civic regardless of engine size they ask if it's vtec as I had a 1.3 and was asked was it vtec when insuring it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

I really don't get the insurance company that specifies that - as VTEC is simply a very good system of timing multiple camshafts on top of your engine. My car has twin-cams and sixteen valves, true, it's not a Honda engine, but it's the same thing in principle.

To be honest, if you are buying a car of that size you'll get hammered on insurance anyway, should you chose the Civic, as it seems to be the car that every boy racer aspires to. Honda parts also tend to be expensive.

I ran a Fiat Punto Sporting for two years, (the MkII with the 1242cc engine), which has 80 bhp at 5,000rpm. The Punto is lighter, and has a close-ratio six-speed box, so you get the same performance. Although the build quality can be lacking, the engine is the late-FIRE generation and there is very little that can go completely wrong in it.

Also, Hibernian Insurance (to name one) classes the Sporting Punto in the same insurance category as the ordinary HLX/ELX, so you don't get a loading. In the UK, the cars are three insurance groups apart, for me that would be a difference of £200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

here could be some jap variation of 1.4 vtec but looking at European models of 3dr civic ,you shouldn't have problem getting 1.4 non vtec civic
    96-00
    1.4i (non vtec) 88BHP
    1.5LS non vtec
    1.5S non vtec
    1.5LE non vtec
    1.5 vtec LS
    1.5LS non vtec
    1.5S non vtec
    1.6 Vtec
    1.6 LS non vtec

00-02 3dr civic now comes with

1.4i S(non vtec)
    1.6i S VTEC
    1.6i SE VTEC
    1.6i Sport iVTEC
    1.7 CTDi

and type R

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

klaus23 wrote:
    I really don't get the insurance company that specifies that - as VTEC is simply a very good system of timing multiple camshafts on top of your engine. My car has twin-cams and sixteen valves, true, it's not a Honda engine, but it's the same thing in principle

First of all, it's a badge, it can potentially make the car more attractive to scumbags, hence more of a risk of it getting stolen, hence more risk (Like XR3i or GTi) Also, the VTEC system does increase the performance of the engine when it kicks in (around 4800-5000 RPM), it's not the same as twin cam 16V :) Also, a Honda 1.4 is quicker than a lot of other 1.4s in the same class.

It's such a shame that another great car/engine is tarred with the 'scumbag'/'boy racer' brush.

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

smokey2 wrote:
    hate to argue with you but there is actually a 1.4 vtec civic!!

mate of mine has one and was very surprised when he got it as he taught the same!!

it's the 92-96 model hatch back!!

Really? Well funny Honda never developed a 1.4 engine for the 92-95 hatchback. 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 were the norm. Are you sure it's not a 1.5 vtec with the CC as 1493?

Specifically I've never heard of a 1.4 vtec engine, seems a little to small to see a significant kick. The only less than 1.5 vtec I've worked with is a 1.0 VTEC in the Insight but this is vtec for economy.
    1.6i Sport iVTEC

This has a D16V1 VTEC engine (no i) as it's a SOHC so no variable timing between the cams.... pity that.

JayoK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

@Smokey2 - I know someone who put a VTEC Valve cover onto a 1.4 Civic.... its a simple swap so you probably saw a car who's owner had done this. The Vtec engines were 1.5 & 1.6 for the 91-96 Civics.

kdevitt wrote:
    @Smokey2 - I know someone who put a VTEC Valve cover onto a 1.4 Civic.... its a simple swap so you probably saw a car who's owner had done this. The Vtec engines were 1.5 & 1.6 for the 91-96 Civics.

sorry but no it was an actual imported from japan special jobby!!

there is 4wd versions of civics that will never be released ere and there is a 4dr version of a proper actual type R integra not just a 1.8 vtec!!

in japan they have loads of models that don't exist ere some strange and others good but it's just the popular ones like the 1.5 vtec that get imported!!

i run Irelands largest Honda website - I know there wasn't a 1.4 Vtec engine, there wasn't even a 1.4 non Vtec engine in the Eg Civics. I also know about 4wd Integras and Civics and 4 door Type Rs...

If you're certain the car was 1.4, then its most likely the tax book was messed up - its definitely a 1.5 or 1.6

These figures are from Honda Japan themselves:
    Civic : EG Series
    Model: Engine: CC: Power (PS): Torque:
    EL D13B 1343 85 @ 6300 10.7 @ 4500
    MX D15B 1493 100 @ 6300 12.8 @ 4500
    ETi D15B 1493 94 @ 5500 13.4 @ 4500
    VTi D15B 1493 130 @ 6800 14.1 @ 5200
    SiR II / SiR B16A 1595 170 @ 7800 16.0 @ 7300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

kdevitt wrote:
    i run Irelands largest Honda website -..........
    #

:rolleyes: oh man

• Advertisement

kdevitt wrote:
    i run Irelands largest Honda website - I know there wasn't a 1.4 Vtec engine, there wasn't even a 1.4 non Vtec engine in the Eg Civics. I also know about 4wd Integras and Civics and 4 door Type Rs...

If you're certain the car was 1.4, then its most likely the tax book was messed up - its definitely a 1.5 or 1.6

These figures are from Honda Japan themselves:
    Civic : EG Series
    Model: Engine: CC: Power (PS): Torque:
    EL D13B 1343 85 @ 6300 10.7 @ 4500
    MX D15B 1493 100 @ 6300 12.8 @ 4500
    ETi D15B 1493 94 @ 5500 13.4 @ 4500
    VTi D15B 1493 130 @ 6800 14.1 @ 5200
    SiR II / SiR B16A 1595 170 @ 7800 16.0 @ 7300

well I'll shut my mouth and never say nothin bout a car again in case you don't agree with me so!!

I'm sorry for my stupidity!!!

@GModified

Whats your point??

Advertisement