Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something intresting about thieves....

• 05-03-1999 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have one done up, while it's just under the requirements to get into the thieves guild it's still pretty cool.

I took it into Trinsic where it practically sucked all the NPC's backpacks dry (it was like shoving a vacuum into thier packs smile.gif). Hidings a doddle and snooping is so easy it's comical. I only need to work on stealth now. Even monsters I meet outside town I can empty them with little or no trouble.

What's scary though is my character is not Guild thief material yet. If your in the guild you can pretty much be sure anyone they steal from is never going to know about it. I strongly recommend you hang onto with care anything you want by not leaving it in your backpack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I made up a Thief char to about 2 days ago and the stats are so easy to get up its a joke.Im up to 80 snoop in 1 hour.What skill do I need in town before I can steal with out getting guard wacked,Im just 53 in stealing but have joined OOO so I can freely steal off other guild members without worry about guard wacking.

Now I was out side del with urko(my theif) stealing from the sheperds and went grey.These 2 newbie *******s came over abd attacked me so I legged it back to town and got my battle mage char came back and ripped them apart,1 ebolt each and they were dead smile.gifI then went back into the bank and hid and hear the 2 fools complain about how unfair the game was and how nasty pks are and that I had just wiped them out of all the belongings(which wasnt much btw).another fool then starts saying he would love a shot at me so i unhide and say lets get it on.For some reasion he recalled out smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If I had sat there pressing the key like crazy I also would of got to my level quicker, however what I set up used a timer so it wouldn't trigger any alarms smile.gif

You do not need to join a guild to learn to steal. Get a backpack and fill it up with stuff. Hide somewhere outside town and drop the pack on the ground, then open it and steal from it.

The trick to stealing is this...

1. Stamina/trigger - If your stamina is low or you have been hitting your macro key too often between steals you will fail more often. .

2. clothes - the heavier your clothes the less chance you have, esp if your wearing gloves. Best thing to do is wear newbie clothes only, that way if you die you can get them back quickly. Remember your a stealer not a fighter!!

3. sight - this is one that no newbies ever cops onto. If anyone has line of sight to you when you steal, your chances of stealing are then near zero. Always stand behind the person you plan to steal from. If you think the vendor has copped you say "name hello" then "name goodbye", they will then ignore you (sometimes they auto latch onto you and watch you regardless which way you face).

4. Blind steal - safest way is to hit steal and click on the person, not an object in thier pack. The chances are much better that you willl steal it. I normally snoop the pack then steal clicking on the NPC and stay there until thier pack empties.

5. Weight - You have limits to what you can steal based on strength. Check out stratics for the limit in weight. The heavier the harder to steal but the better the stat gain. You did start your thief with max str? If not you better build that way up first or throwaway the character.

6. Get a trainer - Here's a trick someone taught me. If you know a high stat thief, both of you get heavy stuff and leave town. Now steal from each other WHILE both facing each other. when you watch a person you learn from them, you get stat gain (thats why some of your stats go up when you don't use them).

7. Karma - To get karma gain give what you steal to the vendors that would want it. Best one is to steal the books out of buildings and give them to the Scribes. In fact there is a scribe shop in britain with 3 rooms of bookcases where you can do this with ease. smile.gif

... There is always a chance of getting guard whacked in town, but just remember the steps above and you'll have an slightly better chance ...

One last thing to remember! Your a thief! Not a fighter. Do not engage in combat, always run, expect to die. Because of this, wear newbie clothes and bank often. You must not kill anyone as it screws up your chance for guild membership. Guild membership you need at least 80 steal/hiding and/or be in game for over a week (online for a week, not a week. So it's longer).

Advertisement