Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bobby Robson storys

• 19-08-2004 10:15pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

He will be sorely missed in the game of football at the end of the season. Did anybody see the interviewed on sky today....Was an absolute gem when he couldn't remember his 4th signing of the season (stephen carr).
    Say what you want but football needs characters.

A few more Bobby storys I know.Please add any you know there are loads.

Shola Ameobi was doing an interview,they were discussing nicknames and a reporter asks ameobi what robson calls him.Ameobi says "carl cort".

Also the one where he was at a press conference, and somebody asked a question he took objection to.
    He got up to storm out, opened a door and walked straight into a broom cupboard.

A Liverpool fan I no well had bought Bobby Robson's autobigraphy - and Bobby was in store signing copies.The lad cued for ages - and when he got to the front, he says to Bobby "You must have signed thousands of these today Bobby".

Robson said "Aye lad, thousands".

When he got outside and looked at what Bobby had written. It said:

"Best wishes - Bobby Thousands."

I for one will miss him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He sure is a character , although I think he does have a few problems with remebering stuff .

One of the greatest managers of all time and the greatest English manager of all time .

As a Newcastle fan I am extremly glad I had the priviledge of having him manage the club I support .

I would love Freddy to be sacked and him to be placed as Chairman after he retires .

Question for Newcastle fans , does anyone of us not like Robson , and do any of us like Shepard ?

and on a last note on Sir Bob , the game will dearly miss him , even more than he'll miss the game .(Which with him managing at 71 means he loves the thing more than any other person I know or heard of) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Dub13 wrote:
    Shola Ameobi was doing an interview,they were discussing nicknames and a reporter asks ameobi what robson calls him.Ameobi says "carl cort".

F***ing classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Not a Sir Bobby story but wasnt there a time that a reporter stopped Gordon Strachan and asked him for a quick word - his reply? "Velocity" :D

Boro wrote:
    Not a Sir Bobby story but wasnt there a time that a reporter stopped Gordon Strachan and asked him for a quick word - his reply? "Velocity" :D

A bit off topic but funny none the less:

Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?
    Strachan: I don’t care, I'm Scottish !

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
    Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off !!!]

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
    Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
    Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
    Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a
    yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my
    priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy
    to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
    Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to
    bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on
    there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
    Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home,
    become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: So Gordon, any changes then ?
    Strachan: Naw, still 5ft 6, ginger hair, and a big nose !

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
    Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here.
    I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
    Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
    Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
    Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there................

Reporter: So, Gordon, any plans for Europe this year ?
    Strachan: Aye, me and the wife quite fancy Spain in August.

This one is topical at the moment:

"Now we've got Southgate..." (on just signing Jonathan Woodgate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Ears wrote:
    the greatest English manager of all time .

Surely you mean second greatest after Alf Ramsey?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

:D :eek: Strachan is a Gem also,but not nearly as good a manager as Robson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Dub13 wrote:
    He will be sorely missed in the game of football at the end of the season. Did anybody see the interviewed on sky today....Was an absolute gem when he couldn't remember his 4th signing of the season (stephen carr).
    Say what you want but football needs characters.

A few more Bobby storys I know.Please add any you know there are loads.

Also the one where he was at a press conference, and somebody asked a question he took objection to.
    He got up to storm out, opened a door and walked straight into a broom cupboard.

A Liverpool fan I no well had bought Bobby Robson's autobigraphy - and Bobby was in store signing copies.The lad cued for ages - and when he got to the front, he says to Bobby "You must have signed thousands of these today Bobby".

Robson said "Aye lad, thousands".

When he got outside and looked at what Bobby had written. It said:

"Best wishes - Bobby Thousands."

I for one will miss him.
    ahahaha that made me laugh out loud..

bobby thousands :D

"We're flying on Concorde. That'll shorten the distance. That's self-explanatory" Bobby Robson

I heard a story about when he was the England manager. On walking out of a hotel lift, while away on duty, he bumped into Bryan Robson and said "Morning Bobby". Apparently Bryan Robson said "No you're Bobby" to which the real Bobby didn't answer - just walked off looking confused.

• Advertisement

Got this in email a few years back. Hilarious stuff.

The wisdom of George Graham and Harry Redknapp

ON FOREIGNERS
    "Samassi Abou went home to the Ivory Coast and got a bit of food poisoning -
    he must have eaten a dodgy missionary or something" - Redknapp.
    "We showed what English football and English footballers are all about - we
    played the Continentals at their own game" - Graham.
    "Samassi Abou don't speak the English too good" - Redknapp.

ON SEX
    "Footballers find it hard to be passionate twice a week" - Graham.
    "Dani is so good-looking I don't know whether to play him or f*ck him" -
    Redknapp.

ON SURPRISES
    "Their fella went down as if he was dead, and then started rolling around" -
    Redknapp.
    "The one thing I didn't expect is the way we didn't play" - Graham.

ON INJURIES
    "We're down to the bare knuckles" - Graham.
    "Julian Dicks has suffered with injuries, but I've just seen him in the
    shower and he looks great" - Redknapp.

ON ENTERTAINMENT
    "Dani's left foot is a magic wand" - Redknapp.
    "People say my style is defensive but I would defend myself against that" -
    Graham.

ON THEIR CRYSTAL BALLS
    "Davor Suker is a legend and would score a hatful of goals for anybody" -
    Redknapp, before signing the striker who scored two goals.
    "Arsenal had their little era and were unbelievably successful. But it comes
    to an end and they've got to rebuild again. Yet they've not brought in
    enough players so I think they're going to struggle" - Graham, the season
    before Arsene Wenger's Gunners won The Double.

Also, been around for ages but worth another look

Harry Redknap and his Man Management skills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Surely you mean second greatest after Alf Ramsey?

I know Ramsy won the World Cup , but thats what he should of done with the squad he had , plus he made sure his players didnt shake hands or swap jerseys with Argentina after a match , and finally I don't know anything he has done in club management , so as far as im concerened he has one success ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

The Strachan stories are almost as good as the Robson ones..... An uncle of mine told me a Strachan story I'll never forget....

When Strachan was playing in the lower Scottish leagues at the beginning of his playing career - can't remember the team he played for, but there was an incident during a match when he received the ball and was promptly upended by a strong tackle from an opposition player. The guy who tackled him was one of 2 identical twins playing for the opposition that day. Straight after the tackle, Strachan jumped up to confront the guy who'd hacked him, but when he got up, both of the identical twins were standing in front of him. Strachan couldn't tell which one of the 2 had fouled him, so he punched them both, sparking a 22 man brawl.

They don't make 'em like they used to.....!

“Andy O'Brien has an horrendous nose, the poor lad. It is massive, it is black and blue and it is awful.” – Getting personal.
    “Titus looks like Tyson when he strips off in the dressing-room, except he doesn't bite. And he has a great tackle." - On Titus Bramble, we think the ‘tackle’ referred to was his defensive qualities.

"We didn't underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought"
    - After England sneaked through against Cameroon in the 1990 World Cup.

"Hitler didn't tell us when he was going to send over those doodlebugs, did he?" - On why he was refusing to name his England team before a World Cup qualifer against Sweden in 1989

"We're taking 22 players to Italy, sorry, to Spain... where are we, Jim?"
    - On whether Paul Gascoigne should have gone to the 1998 World Cup in France.

"There will be a game where somebody scores more than Brazil and that might be the game that they lose."
    "Steve Hodge has been unfit for two weeks, well, no, for 14 days."

"Ray Wilkins' day will come one night."

"Tottenham have impressed me: they haven't thrown in the towel even though they have been under the gun."

"Look at those olive trees. They're two hundred years old – from before the time of Christ!" - Sir Bobby illustrates how great life is in Barcelona.

"If we invite any player up to the Quayside to see the girls and then up to our magnificent stadium, we will be able to persuade any player to sign." – Playing up Newcastle’s Playboy image.

"They can't be monks - we don't want them to be monks, we want them to be football players because a monk doesn't play football at this level."
    - Justifying Newcastle's Playboy image.

"They're two points behind us, so we're neck and neck."
    "I'd say he's the best in Europe, if you put me on the fence"

"I played cricket for my local village. It was 40 overs per side, and the team that had the most runs won. It was that sort of football."

"If we start counting our chickens before they hatch, they won't lay any eggs in the basket."

"I would have given my right arm to be a pianist."

"What can I say about Peter Shilton? Peter Shilton is Peter Shilton, and he has been Peter Shilton since the year dot."

"I'm not going to look beyond the semi-final - but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final."

“Home advantage gives you an advantage.”

Advertisement