Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the craic with women at Checkouts?

• 19-08-2004 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

<Rant>

Women drive me mad at express checkouts (and checkouts in general, but especially express checkouts)

There I am with a single item to pay for. I tot it up in my head and have roughly the right amount in my sweaty little hand to pay for the goods. Ahead of me is another guy and a woman.

Guy goes to checkout, he's done and dusted and gone in 30 seconds

Woman approaches checkout with a multitude of Dunnes Stores and Penneys bags, each containing one item. Why do women need 1 bag per item? It explains why there is no male equivalent of a "bag lady".

Anyway, goods are scanned in a matter of seconds, and then the fun begins. The checkout operator says how much is due AND IT IS ONLY THEN that the female will realise that money is needed and they start the following :

1. Look for bag with purse
    2. Fumble through bag full of assorted sh1te looking for purse
    3. Once purse is found, ask "how much is that again"
    4. Proceed to look for the EXACT CHANGE to pay the amount due which takes an age as every penny is passed across or worse if say 5.10 is due they'll hand a 10 euro over and then say "OOH, I have 10 cent here" and start fumbling for the 10 cent.
    5. Pack purchase into yet another bag
    6. Accept receipt (and sometimes the change)
    7. Fiddle for an eternity putting receipt and change into purse
    8. Stuff purse back into overflowing handbag full of sh1te
    9. Zip up handbag
    10. Put handbag over shoulder
    11. Gather up all the other shopping bags
    12. Fix coat
    13. Check shoulder for bag
    14. Walk away - HOPEFULLY they will at this point

Why can they not walk away after step 6 even, and do all the fiddling away from the checkout to keep things flowing. NOOO, like driving, women are oblivious to what goes on behind them.

I rarely let little things get to me, but just lately these bag ladies are annoying the sh1te out of me and I am liable to do a Michael Douglas one of these fine afternoons.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Cards should not be allowed at express checkouts, should be cash only.

<Rant over>

Thank you for listening

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

alleepally wrote:
    Oh yeah, one last thing. Cards should not be allowed at express checkouts, should be cash only.

<Rant over>

Thank you for listening

Totally agree (and with the rest but was'nt going to waste screen real estate on that!) Why cant wimmin at least make a fair guess at the ammount they'll need and be ready with it?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

Yeah this issue really annoys me sometimes I want to bring a knife into the supermarket and just start stabbing at everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

substr wrote:
    Yeah this issue really annoys me sometimes I want to bring a knife into the supermarket and just start stabbing at everyone
    I guess then you had better tell us what supermarket you frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Trust me (having work on tills before), there are plenty of men out there who are just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

to coincide with the Women bashing and the Brunettes V Blondes and the poor Women drivers , let me tell yas a little story about a dumb blonde .(well Blondes aren't called stupid for nothing) .

after a school hurling match was over , we(the team) went to the local chipper for something to eat .
    After a while(when most of us had our food and were eating it outside) a blonde in a land rover stops her car at the side of the road , only a few feet away from the chipper .
    Each of us have one eye on her(see was'nt that bad looking :p ) and one eye on the land rover , as she walks by we start laughing , she just gives us a bad look .
    Then when she's got about 20 feet from her vehicle , one of us inform her that she hadnt pulled the handbrake , and that her car was halfway accros the road :D .(slighly more to the side she didnt park on)

She then had to rush down , unlock the thing thing before putting it back in place , and pulling the handbrake .

Of course the roads were quiet otherwise we would have said something sooner .

If that had happened in a busy town or city god knows the chaos she would have caused .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You could just shop online! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its just that women and men do things differently..

Example of an ATM machine..

A lady will go up to a ATM machine and read the onscreen instructions carefully and firmly press the each button in slow motion.

A man just bang through each screen without thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Because men cant multitask they need to have things done in sequence...hence have the change ready etc.

While a woman can do all these things at the same time (step 1 to 14)...they just dont understand that this type of multitasking is *very* annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

its not men can't multi-task its just the majority of males aren't as good at multi-tasking as the majority of females .

Although males are (in the majority) better at doing a single thing .

I feel like putting yee females down so , in the last 'Test The Nation' (a programme on BBC , about IQ's) Men had an average IQ of 98 while women had an average IQ of 96 .This was only for the Uk though , so Ireland could be different .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Big Ears wrote:
    I feel like putting yee females down so , in the last 'Test The Nation' (a programme on BBC , about IQ's) Men had an average IQ of 98 while women had an average IQ of 96 .This was only for the Uk though , so Ireland could be different .
    It's not the average ones we should be worrying about - it's the Forest and Foresta Gumps out there. And the ones who are slightly above average and reckon they're smarter than Jehovah.
    mrhappy42 wrote:
    While a woman can do all these things at the same time (step 1 to 14)...they just dont understand that this type of multitasking is *very* annoying.
    In fairness it's hardly multitasking if someone is following a long-winded algorithm in sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

what exactly is multitasking anybody got a definition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

its a little bit like A.D.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

alleepally wrote:
    <Rant>

Women drive me mad at express checkouts (and checkouts in general, but especially express checkouts)

Oh 110% agree. It drives me NUTS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It would only be multi-tasking if they did steps 1-14 at exactly the same second.

As a person who mans a till I also notice that age comes in to it regardless of sex. I constructed a little graph to show you. Annoyance is on the y-axis and Age is on the x-axis, or i and j axis if you prefer.

There is a sharp drop in the female annoyance between the ages of 31-50. This is because she will usually marry during this time and as such she will now have a male with her during times of shopping and all that to keep her in check. She will also at least have increased her brain power by 70% from just being in the presence of a man for more than 5 hours a day. However by the age of 50 a man will also slow down in the ol' noggin and thus he needs every bit of his brain to get by and the female suffers from this.

Oh and I know that the x axis and y-axis does not have an even distribution before anyone points it out.

tba wrote:
    Well, here's something from wikipedia.

What I suspect the lads are getting at though, is a combination of pre-emptive and co-operative multi-tasking. In other words, with the example above, knowing that at some point some cash will be required so ensuring that the cash is close to hand to ensure that the transaction (or the task) doesn't take too long and detract from the other tasks to be achieved (including the most important one - getting out of the shop efficiently) and having that cash to hand as son as it's required, having the sure-to-be-required plastic bag to hand rather than hidden under a whole pile of unrelated crap so you can get at it [that's most of the pre-emptive stuff] and being able to stop packing goods for a moment and pay efficiently while being able to get cash out of bag or pocket and retrieve plastic bags at the same time, zipping up purse and putting on bag at the same time (in the case of those who are of the bag persuasion) while also sweeping up the packed bags and walking away in one fluid movement while saying the final thanks to the cashier [that's the co-operative bit]. Scheduling and prioritising comes into it as well obviously.

Blokes are as bad. And they don't seem to be able to understand that the 10-item checkout is not for two full baskets either. Doesn't help that most cashiers won't tell them to **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

How can the average IQ be 98 and 96

...the average should be a 100...

or am I being stupid here?

or am I being stupid here?
    that depends...are you male or female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

In my experience 98% of women are guilty of this and about 2 % of men. Its not even an age, or cultural thing either as it happens with 10 year old white girls and 60 yo indian, asian, african women etc. ie. They ALL do it.

There is only one thing worse. It annoys the hell out of me that as allepally says it takes 5 minutes after the transaction is seemingly complete that they move away from the counter/till (I work in family newsagent) and make room for the next customer. What annoys me even more though is that in the 2 % of cases where you have a woman with a bit of cop-on who moves to the side to make room for the next customer, the next silly bint piles her shopping on top of the first womans. To me thats like if I was at a supermarket checkout and I started sliding my shopping down the counter on top of the previous customers groceries before she had a chance to bag any of hers. No one does that in a supermarket checkout, why do they do that at a regular shop counter??? I'll sigh and start to serve the bint, I'll ring everything in then they'll say, hold on and will amble down to the card stand to browse the cards.

"YOU should have done that before you came to the till you silly cow...now the till is held up while I wait on you you f*cking brain dead moron."

Don't get me wrong, I love women but jebus christ, they are effing mental really!! :D:D

I think I've said it in a previous thread but I'll say it again. In addition to an express checkout, there should be a men only checkout with an upper age limit of 70 too as after that age the testosterone levels have dropped and old men become more and more like women.

TBH if there is a supermarket with 2 express checkouts, one of which has 5 men waiting and the other has 2 women, a 30yo and a 60yo woman. I'll join the back of the queue behind the 5 blokes as without fail at the very least I'll be done and dusted at the same time as the second woman :D:D

In my experience 98% of women are guilty of this and about 2 % of men. Its not even an age, or cultural thing either as it happens with 10 year old white girls and 60 yo indian, asian, african women etc. ie. They ALL do it.
    there is a quick easy solution to this problem.
    All men should do the shopping.

Calibos wrote:
    TBH if there is a supermarket with 2 express checkouts, one of which has 5 men waiting and the other has 2 women, a 30yo and a 60yo woman. I'll join the back of the queue behind the 5 blokes as without fail at the very least I'll be done and dusted at the same time as the second woman :D:D
    Absolutely. Single men, all cash, no chit-chat. Thank you Apu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Can't agree more with the above. I work in a video shop.
    Guy:
    Places box on counter with card and often money, very quick and easy transaction.
    Woman:
    Looks at box, and might place it down after awhile.
    I go and get video, and come back, and ask "Do you have a card?"
    "oh yeah", she replies.
    looks for card in purse.
    I say how much.
    Fumbles again for money.
    so on and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What's the craic with all these what's the craic threads?

Is it some crazy marketing device to make stereotyping fun again or what?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

As one of those weird shop assitants who likes both their job and the majority of their customers, I end up having too much free time to think about things like this topic in work

I will provide you with examples

A) Subject Male

Approaches Counter, Film (and instructions if any) and money in hand.
    Adressses intention, (I am here to pick up, leave in film)
    Recites Phone Number, Surname, first Name, instrcutions, asks price, exchanges money (from hand), movers to one side and leaves.

B) Subject Female

Will wait to be summonded to couter verbally. (either empty hands-rare, usally mobile in one hand and handbag in other).
    Gives you (me) blank look. Is asked how we (I) may serve them.
    They offer a name
    I clarify the question, are you picking up photos or leaving in film?
    Apologises to person on phone, looks at me, says which and continues with chat. (If the name is uncommen I just go fecth it from the racks, otherwise have to interupt their conversation again)

If leaving in film, I'll ask for a phone number and will be given a name or address
    I will repeat question
    I will be left waiting while mobile/purse is found with sticker of own number on it.
    When number is given correctly, will take the customes name.
    I ask how many films, exposers (insert 10 minute search of pockets, bags, bags with in bags), what size they want the prints(asked for price and examples) how many copies,(asked for prices again) matte or gloss, border?

Asked to repeat option and prices, asked to repeat prices, then to repeat options.

Exchange moneys, customer changes mind, cancles order, re decided. I suffer a mental break down.

-Women know your place

(Disclaimer: Had five female clients like this today, not all women are thsi bad. Some are worse. :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mrhappy42 wrote:
    How can the average IQ be 98 and 96

...the average should be a 100...
    100 is supposed to be the average across the board, that poster was talking about Britain. On top of that the average moves up by about three points per decade (the Flynn Effect), and there's so many IQ tests out there now God only knows what any particular number means. I've tried 3 or 4 on the net for the craic, and they all came out different, substantially so in some cases (40 points!).

It's hard to find good info on IQ testing in fact, if anyone has any pointers it'd be nice if they posted or linked. I'm thinking of doing the Mensa home test at the moment for the laugh, but the whole "pay us to test you" thing is always a little dodgy. Obviously they have to make their money somehow, but €16 to compare a test sheet to an answer sheet? Clever boys! :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

There are exceptions however, one of which is this amazing woman of about 85 who is a regular at our shop. She conducts transactions like the average man and is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Her faculties are at 100% and she is as aware of her sexes foibles as I am. She will often make hugely witty and sarcastic remarks about the previous daft bint 40 years her junior that I may have served before her.

ie "You have the patience of a saint [my name]. That was like one of those russian dolls inside dolls things, where yer wan rooted for her purse which was inside her handbag, which was inside her superquinn bag which was inside her Dunnes bag".........or..."you must be sick of people asking your opinion on the weather [my name]" etc etc. She also looks after herself and is always dressed to the nines AND she keeps her hairy chin and tache in check. ie she doesn't leave the house wearing one like most oul ones over the age of 60.

She's a unique 'oul gal'! :D:D If I was 50 years older or she was 50 years younger, I'd propose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

keu wrote:
    there is a quick easy solution to this problem.
    All men should do the shopping.

ahh now lets not jump to any rash conclusions.

one thing a lot of middle aged guys are guilty of (seems to be more of a small shop/garage phenomenon though) is when they're told the total they will just dig all the change out of their pockets and hold it out to the clerk and wait for them to extract the exact amount. ive seen this a few times and its soo ignorant.

id love to be a clerk and just stand their staring at them till they do it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

it's so very true...

my gf will go to the counter, get the stuff scanned thru and only when the price comes up will she suddenly realise she has to find her wallet ... and of course that takes a good minute, if she hasn't lost it somewhere - which is quite likely...

i now prompt her well in advance and every time it seems to come as a suprise to her.. women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

this brings me right back to my days of working in a shop. Sadly, its all true. The idiots who come to the till with a heap of stuff, wait for it to be scanned in, and then just bugger off down the shop for something else whilst leaving a nice big queue build up behind them really used to piss me the **** off.
    I used to serve the person behind these idiots when they wandered off, as our tills had a handy suspend-transaction function, but often said idiot would wander back to the till and take great offence that I had the nerve to serve somebody else while they were farting about at the back of the shop.

asshats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Stephen wrote:
    this brings me right back to my days of working in a shop. Sadly, its all true. The idiots who come to the till with a heap of stuff, wait for it to be scanned in, and then just bugger off down the shop for something else whilst leaving a nice big queue build up behind them really used to piss me the **** off.
    I used to serve the person behind these idiots when they wandered off, as our tills had a handy suspend-transaction function, but often said idiot would wander back to the till and take great offence that I had the nerve to serve somebody else while they were farting about at the back of the shop.

asshats.

They should be shot. In the back of the head. Someone should start a 'Tills for Single Men under 60 ONLY' movement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Right well I've worked in Spar, Argos and Dunnes, and though it pains me to say it, it is mostly women who do the whole "spend five minutes searching for the purse" thing. Men do do it as well though, and old men in particular are terrible for pulling out exact change. (They all have these wierd change holder thingys, and I've never seen anyone under 40 with them!) Dunnes was the worst for people slowly, slowly doing things - especially if you were on the express checkout. Its not young people though, they're generally in a hurry and have the money ready ect. But the middle aged people are terrible for it, I reckon its cos they have more confidence or something. An awful lot of them seemed to have a "why should I rush myself for someone else?" mentality.

Even more annoying was the people who would come up to the express checkout with baskets full of stuff (honestly, full baskets!). I remember at one stage last year I was on express when this snooty middle aged woman came up with a basket full of at least 30 items. There was a long queue behind her, and I could see the looks on her faces, so I politely told the woman that the express lane was for 10 items or less. She looked at me as if I was an insect and said, "Oh I didn't see the sign, but I cant queue up at one of the main check-outs because I don't have the time, so you'll have to take me here" (It always amazes me how some people think thry're more important then anyone else). Anyway I took great pleasure in informing her that logistically speaking that was impossible (express only has a tiny area for groceries), and that she would have to go to one of the main checkouts. Cue manager being called over, woman ranting about what a disgrace this is, and finally ending up on one of the bigger checkouts! There were smiles all around from everyone in the express queue! :p I've only ever done that once though.

Working on checkouts isn't really that bad though, it's the different people you meet that make the job interesting. Argos was brilliant, because the "exact change" people just didn't exist there. 90% of people, both male and female, would just walk up to the checkout with their slip filled out and money ready. It was easy enough to get rid of a queue there! Of course you had the odd person (usually slightly older), who would come up with a catalogue, aadjust their glasses, put the catalogue down in front of you and say "I'm looking for xyz, but I can't find them anywhere in this book". Then you'd just patiently go to the index, show them where they were and wait for them to pick the stuff out. Those people didn't really annoy me though, cos for the most part they were new to shopping there, and just didn't really understand how the system worked. Now the people who would come up while you had an incredibly long queue, and were the only person on checkouts at the time, and say "Right now, I'm looking for a present for my friend. What should I get her?", then shove the catclogue in your hands and look at you expectantly - they were a different story altogether! God I've waffled on a lot, sorry everyone for boring you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Don't forget the ones who make it as far as the door and then proceed to repeat steps 1,2,5,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 all over again for no apparent reason and stopping anybody else from going in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I totally agree that women must be about THE most annoying people at a check-out. Having worked on a checkout I speak from experience.
    Just the other day, I was in a queue behind a lady. She bought €10petrol and a few other items bringing her total to about €15. When the clerk said €15, she nearly had a heart attack and insisted that the clerk call out the price of each thing to her. She kept saying "I just don't understand" and had a face on her as if the clerk was trying to rob her. Meanwhile the queue was just getting longer and longer, so eventually I had to butt in and say "HERE LISTEN...." and I totted up everything for her and said "Now if you don't mind I'm in a bit of a rush!"(which I wasn't)
    My solution is to make the lining of womens handbags a light colour, eg. cream or white! Like, why are they black in the 1st place 'cause it just makes it impossible to find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

blondie83 wrote:
    God I've waffled on a lot, sorry everyone for boring you!
    Enjoyed your story thouroughly, hate those snobby women who think they are better than you because your workin in a shop. Do they not realise that most shop assistants are only doing it as a part-time job to fund them through college.

ok...I must defend women.

It's like the 100th monkey syndrome.
    For years and years I would stand and que like everybody else, sometimes there may have been 15 people ahead of me. At first I was a good girl, I would have my cash ready and items in hand while my feet would pace the deck...ready for action, ready to make the transaction A.S.A.P.
    Then as I got older, I lost the ability to hold things comfortably in my mitts for more than five minutes. The strain from clenching so items tightly would cause a serious case of sweaty palms. I became patient. The wisdom I had gained from years of standing in line...waiting, was being implemented subconsciously. Now, I would automatically trance out after two minutes.
    My brain would switch off knowingly, a natural response mechanism, possibly as a way of saving brain power. I was in another world. Whats the hurry I thought to myself. I have a whole ten minutes before being served, so I would stare blankly at the dandruff ridden head in front of me and climb into another dimension only noticing it was my turn to be served when the cashier poked me gently and asked how may he be of assistance.

So you see, It's not really my fault.
    I was just the 100th monkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Blondes, they're everywhere! The bleech has penetrated their skull.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

When will we stop generaliztions?

I do not fit into any of your tinyminded 'women' stereotypes.

I do not like to shop, I get it get what I want and get out.
    I always have my money ready when waiting in line.
    When I used the atm machine I was always the fastest one.
    I do not put on makeup while driving, unless chapstick counts :rolleyes:
    I do not take an hour to get ready to go out..shower, dry, clothes..out.
    I do not whine and complain about every little thing.
    I do not spend my money on frivilous (<---spelling) things.
    I do not usually respond to such threads but I am bored...

Seriously though, I am an average Woman and there are plenty like me out there, there has to be.
    I do see these women you all talk about and sometimes they annoy me, but really..It takes all kinds doesnt it?
    If we were all the same the world would be a pretty boring place ;)

all BS aside, it just goes to show the inherant sexist attitude still prevailant in Ireland.
    Most of the "boys" (cuz they're hardly men) who have posted here, have the same discrimatory ideaologies as their grandfathers, but I spose its beneficial to them to keep Ireland in the fifties.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

keu wrote:
    all BS aside, it just goes to show the inherant sexist attitude still prevailant in Ireland.
    Most of the "boys" (cuz they're hardly men) who have posted here, have the same discrimatory ideaologies as their grandfathers, but I spose its beneficial to them to keep Ireland in the fifties.

And just like '50s Ireland, you'll conveniently ignore the input from the female contributors...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

keu wrote:
    It's only sexist if it's not true. The many examples given by actual checkout staff here, many of them female, should prove that it is largely true. Not entirely true - men do it too, and many women don't - but largely true.

Another one that bugs me is people that stop in the middle of an aisle for a chat, in everyone's way, oblivious. Again, this is largely a woman thing.

adam

"And just like '50s Ireland, you'll conveniently ignore the input from the female contributors..."

maybe its because i'm female and stupid, but that scentence doesnt make any sense. I have noted the input from the female contributors, incidently this thread, along with a number of others have been started by little boys, who obviously don't get a second glance from women and are becomming bitter old men because of it and will use any excuse to make derogatory generalisation about "wimmen."
    (the kind of men who were breastfed until they were two and look at all women in the same light as their mother)

• Advertisement

keu wrote:
    "And just like '50s Ireland, you'll conveniently ignore the input from the female contributors..."

maybe its because i'm female and stupid, but that scentence doesnt make any sense. I have noted the input from the female contributors, incidently this thread, along with a number of others have been started by little boys, who obviously don't get a second glance from women and are becomming bitter old men because of it and will use any excuse to make derogatory generalisation about "wimmen."
    (the kind of men who were breastfed until they were two and look at all women in the same light as their mother)

Extrapolate much?

"It's only sexist if it's not true. The many examples given by actual checkout staff here, many of them female, should prove that it is largely true. Not entirely true - men do it too, and many women don't - but largely true."

maybe its time to start a thread on the annoying and irritating habits which men are guilty of, like thinking the world owes them a living and that all things must go accordingly to how they like it. Things that bother men should be outlawed, like women. Should all be shot, the stupid b!tches, how dare they waste my time by not having things ready for me.

This thread didn't neccessarily have to be sexist. It could have been a vent by shop assistants and how they hate having to wait on people. As most women do the shopping and run arounds, its inevitable the majority of their clients are going to be women.
    So lets use that as an excuse to put them all into one big category and despise them for a couple of days. Might make them feel better about themselves.

Extrapolate much?
    the values of Irish men when they don't get their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

keu wrote:

As someone else said, it's hardly sexist if it's by and large true (albeit, slightly exaggerated) real life accounts.

BY AND LARGE, it's my experience too and it's bloody annoying but then so are a load of other things in everyday life. The OPs post was all the more funny cos it is what I encounter every single time I have to food shop...NIGHTMARE! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

tba wrote:
    Having a **** while brousing the interweb.
    Men are very efficent multi-taskers. :p

keu wrote:
    along with a number of others have been started by little boys, who obviously don't get a second glance from women and are becomming bitter old men because of it
    Hey - you don't have to not get a second glance from women to turn into a bitter old man. My other half is terrified that I'll turn into Victor Meldrew.
    blondie83 wrote:
    I remember at one stage last year I was on express when this snooty middle aged woman came up with a basket full of at least 30 items. There was a long queue behind her, and I could see the looks on her faces, so I politely told the woman that the express lane was for 10 items or less. She looked at me as if I was an insect and said, "Oh I didn't see the sign, but I cant queue up at one of the main check-outs because I don't have the time, so you'll have to take me here" (It always amazes me how some people think thry're more important then anyone else). Anyway I took great pleasure in informing her that logistically speaking that was impossible (express only has a tiny area for groceries), and that she would have to go to one of the main checkouts. Cue manager being called over, woman ranting about what a disgrace this is, and finally ending up on one of the bigger checkouts! There were smiles all around from everyone in the express queue! :p I've only ever done that once though.
    Thanks! I've usually found that it's the blokes manning (watch for sexism) the register that don't seem to give a crap when it's customer who can't read or count bringing an overloaded basket to the express lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's a pretty heavy chip on your shoulder there Keu. My time working in a shop (3.5 years) was spent in a petrol station, where the customers are pretty much 50/50 men and women. Far more women exhibited the afforementioned irritating behaviour that inconveniences everyone else in the shop besides themselves.

I don't call that sexist, i call it what actually happens.

why should you or anyone else be bothered (unless you are a counter assistant) abot why do women stand and chat in the aisle?
    if you people get so uptight about these little things then your going to be really p!ssed when things get serious.
    like i said, it didn't have to be sexist in a discrimatory way. (and by all means this thread is sexist) Don't kid yourself by stating because it is true its not sexist.
    If women on the whole take longer to do these things than by all means thats their right, if you people don't like it, the problem rests on your own doorstep.

keu wrote:
    This thread didn't neccessarily have to be sexist. It could have been a vent by shop assistants and how they hate having to wait on people.

Or it could be a tiresome, incoherent, humourless rant on an unrelated topic. Oh wait...

That's a pretty heavy chip on your shoulder there Keu.

in all fairnes, I've responded lightheartedly to this thread on several occasions.
    I'm not in any mood to be humouring the children this morning, I pity the females of the next generation if the men of their generation have little or no tolerance for women.

• Advertisement
Advertisement