Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the craic with women at Checkouts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

totally agree, nothing more frustrating,

then theres a big queue at one checkout so you go to another thinking 'ha ha suckers im gettin out before you's' only to find that there's some delay and the checkout person has to get up and go away somewhere and then the people you thought you'd get out before 1st actually get out before you despite being in the longer queue.

ridiculous, by the way i only use crisp notes straight from the hole in the wall and through all my loose change (except 1's and 2's) into a big jar which i take to the bank every half a year.

another thing, all the money off vouchers women give in that are for like 20/30c! then we see them driving around in 04 cars! there should be womem/men checkouts imo, 9 women and 1 men.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

keu wrote:
    this thread, along with a number of others have been started by little boys, who obviously don't get a second glance from women and are becomming bitter old men because of it and will use any excuse to make derogatory generalisation about "wimmen."
    :rolleyes: After Hours is a bit of light-hearted bantering. Don't start drawing massive conclusions from it. From my observations the statements here are broadly true and nah, I'm not all that bitter if I don't get some woman to look at me...

I was just shopping the other day and yes a woman in front of me caused a delay by rooting through her purse when, to her surprise, the shop asisstant asked for financial reimbursement for the goods she had just taken. Imagine that. And, before ya start yammering on about the oppressed woman, there was a 50/50 male/female clientele (yeah, men do shop too).

Men want to get out of the shop as quickly as possible, so they're ready to go when it comes to pay. Now that's why, when others don't follow this idea, we don't like it - and after all why should we want to waste more minutes of our lives in the shop if we don't have to. Now then - do women find this habit as annoying as men? Keu do you find it acceptable that people are rooting around for change? And do you really think we're all lying (or seeing too subjectively) due to some nonsense about scoring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

keu wrote:

in all fairnes, I've responded lightheartedly to this thread on several occasions.
    I'm not in any mood to be humouring the children this morning, I pity the females of the next generation if the men of their generation have little or no tolerance for women.

It's a simple thing - most men HATE shopping.

Anything that delays the objective of getting in and out, as it were, in the minimum of seconds is therefore, annoying.

I'm sure there's a mathematical equation or something that could explain it better (therefore avoiding all accusations of sexism)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Men want to get out of the shop as quickly as possible

believe it or not, when i do shop, I want to get out of there as fast as possible too.
    and I really couldn't give a crap how long it takes people to look for change, really I don't.
    I don't think your all lying, I think your all failing to see the point.
    But sure you might as well continue to berate the habits of the female species, it seems to justify male righteousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I have to agree - it drives me mad also.
    Another thing that drive me mad; when some one can't make an observation about the other sex without being vilified as a sexist pig.

and makes you happy.

"Another thing that drive me mad; when some one can't make an observation about the other sex without being vilified as a sexist pig."

only when its comming from a female perspective.
    example: all men are dirty lying sleezy wan kers.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

keu wrote:
    in all fairnes, I've responded lightheartedly to this thread on several occasions.
    I'm not in any mood to be humouring the children this morning, I pity the females of the next generation if the men of their generation have little or no tolerance for women.

Responded lightheartedly? My arsé. Calling men and boards users "little boys" and "children" that's not light hearted it's insulting.

Get over your oppression buzz.

I don't hate women - they do however cause delays in shops and at bank machines, but so do men. I hate anyone who does this sort of thing equally.

k, now the facts, so as not to presume its sexist, men are wan kers. the dirty lying sleezy bit is a generalisation, but no worse than the generalisations that have been attached to the "whats the craic with women at the checkouts."

• Advertisement

The reason it happens is because of hand-bags.
    Change/purse/collection of crap is contained in a bag. Cluttered in no particular order. It's the handbags fault. You never see a woman causing this trouble when they aren't carrying a hand bag.

Jeans/trousers have pockets. Pockets are limited in size. People tend to keep a wallet in one quickly recognisable pocket. Thus the problem dosen't arise.

So is it sexist - No
    Is it mainly women - Yes
    Do men have handbags - No
    Do women mainly have handbags - Yes

Now could the femnazi brigade please retract their claws. ;)

why dont you go back and read the rest of the thread.
    you only like women when they are giving you what you want. seems to be the same with most of the responses here. ( a blowjob)

keu wrote:
    k, now the facts, so as not to presume its sexist, men are wan kers. the dirty lying sleezy bit is a generalisation, but no worse than the generalisations that have been attached to the "whats the craic with women at the checkouts."

Seriously though. What IS the craic with women at checkouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

my 2c, I'm not sexist in any way but I have noticed similar trends in shops, cinemas, getting on the bus etc. and it does predominantly seem to be women who hold things up. I've often asked myself why they do it and whether or not it irritates them if someone else does it, it's definitely not all women by any means but as I say in the majority of cases I've witnessed it was women, maybe as high as an 80/20 split.

The point is well made that in shops it is predominantly women and as such you are more likely to see delays from women, but I think it runs deeper than that. Maybe it's genetics or the subconcious, maybe they have better things to be worrying about than calculating the cost of their groceries. Perhaps they're working on what they're doing later on or running over some problem from work that's bugging them or even contemplating a solution for world hunger..........all very reasonable and admirable even, I just wish they wouldn't do it in front of me :D

on the other hand I don't have any worthwhile thoughts or ideas so I can simply concentrate on having my money ready to pay for my groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Its just that women and men do things differently..

Example of an ATM machine..

A lady will go up to a ATM machine and read the onscreen instructions carefully and firmly press the each button in slow motion.

A man just bang through each screen without thinking.

Ok I'm female and not annoys me more than ANYONE at the ATM machine taken an eternity checking their balance, pressing the buttons as slow as possible, and whatever else they do at the machine that takes them so long. I don't think it's just women that do that cause there was a guy in front of me yesterday taking forever and i was getting soaked to the skin. The "beeping" for him to take out the card last ages until he finally removed it. Now i dunno about anyone else but i know when i request the amount of money i require and that no i dont want a receipt that my card is going to come out so i'm ready and waiting with my little fingers to remove the card and 2 seconds later move my hand down to remove the money. Some women can and do fly through the ATM process and some men take ages, and again, some don't.

Regarding the express shopping checkout. I hate that crap the original poster talked about. I find it just as frustrating hense now i go to the off license section of my local supervalu to pay for my little items and have no que and can be in and out while the person at the express checkout is still sorting out all the coppers they have to pay with.

keu wrote:

you only like women when they are giving you what you want. seems to be the same with most of the responses here. ( a blowjob)

Ah ha ha. It seems to me you're bitter. Every single response of yours has been insulting or vicious in some way. I've read the whole thread. It appears you haven't. You only post quick responses to snap at someone.

I'm sticking you on ignore. You're probably not a woman anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Jesus, yeah. It's an ATM, not a cafe. Get in quickly, get out quickly. I have it down to a fine art. No one wants to be standing around while you check your balance or you take your time to think about how much money you want.

oh..look. here's the craic with women at the checkout.
    they stupid dumb ass biatches.
    OK?

For future reference, next time I go to any store with a male clerk I'm going to dither for ages. or if there is a man behind me at the atm, I'm going to go through the process three times, while he hums and haws.

*evil feminazi grin*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Basically the backlash you're experiencing is aimed towards the femnazi's of the same bent as Ivanna Bacik, who have forgotten (or ignored) the basic tenets of feminism: equality. Some time in the early 80's this got abandoned in favour of becoming an -anti-male philosophy as opposed to being one about equality (this would be around the time that feminist groups started to kick out their male members, of which there were quite a sizable minority). Women have, by and large, achieved economic parity with men. Personally speaking, my boss is a woman, her boss is a woman and I have no problems with that whatsoever, both are competent in their jobs and to be frank, one is possibly the best business-person I've ever known. So, what's left for the feminist movement to do? Women have the same rights as men (arguably more if you take family law into this argument), get paid the same salaries for the same jobs, the same access to education etc. etc. etc. The jobs done. (in the western world at least)

Add to this, the penchant a certain section of Irish women have adopted towards mimicking the "dizzy blonde" so loved by Americans. Why any intelligent person would want to be perceived as being stupid is beyond me, perhaps it's a testament to the effects of the media, but that's another issue. These type of women attract the scorn of almost everyone who doesn't behave in this way.

Unfortunately, some people (mostly men and myself included at times if I'm honest) are starting to perceive these two groups to be the majority of females and hence make generalisations concerning them that in no way reflect the "average" Irish woman. I can understand why this pisses you off but try to understand the feeling of frustration that these posts are being made from.

Condescending remarks like "little boys, who obviously don't get a second glance from women" are just as unfair and discriminatory as the comments that are riling you. When on one side we have the femnazi's complaining that because we're men, we're inherantly wife-beating, adulterous scum. On the other we have the airheaded consumerism and vanity of the SATC clones who expect all men to have Louis Walshe's money, Brad Pitt's physique and no ambition bigger in live than to pamper her as much as possible.

Both are immensely frustrating bunches of people and both are so loud that unfortunately (but understandably to a certsin degree in my opinion), many men are becoming quite mysoginistic. Personally, I love women. It's just a shame there's so few worthwhile one's left in the middle.

Ah ha ha. It seems to me you're bitter. Every single response of yours has been insulting or vicious in some way. I've read the whole thread. It appears you haven't. You only post quick responses to snap at someone.

I'm sticking you on ignore. You're probably not a woman anyway.

:rolleyes:

oh please dont put me on ignore.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the craic with stoners shopping? Great big piles of food and seemingly no rush to get it paid for. Oh it's all a great laugh when you're traipsing around, not a red cent on you, trolley full of marshmallows and weedkiller and the cut o' ye!
    But who has to go puttin' all that crap back on the shelves when you finally leave the premises, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Wonderfully insightful for After Hours Sleepy

Women have the same rights as men
    in all fairness, I don't think I've ever had to fight for womens rights, it's not something I spend my time thinking about.
    But c'mon man, look at the responses by posters like dr Loon.
    I don't have to tolerate that kinda crap. (whether i'm male or female)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

keu wrote:
    in all fairness, I don't think I've ever had to fight for womens rights, it's not something I spend my time thinking about.

You should go off in a huff, that'll learn 'em.
    Maybe go shopping, take your mind off things.

keu wrote:

My reponses such as?

Askin why every one of your responses is evil and vicious and insulting?????
    Expressing how I dislike anyone that's slow at a checkout/ATM. Not just women?

Nothing wrong with my posts at all... and you never answered why every post of yours is insulting?

I think it's unfortunate that women (or men pretending to be women in some cases) like lisa c, climaxer and keu give people the impression we're all like this.

It's friday, have a Crunchie. Take it easy.

keu wrote:
    For christ sake it's after hours! People post all kinds of crap here. It's toungue-in-cheek stuff.
    I hate big purple monkeys, I think they're all lazy sods. So what.
    What? :confused: ...now I've confused my feeble male brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

keu wrote:

oh for gods sake, where did this come from? no one has mentioned sex the entire thread, do you bring it up because you've no other argument per chance? this is the look at me syndrome all over again.

koneko wrote:
    I think it's unfortunate that women (or men pretending to be women in some cases) like lisa c, climaxer and keu give people the impression we're all like this.

It's friday, have a Crunchie. Take it easy.

once again, koneko is the (female)voice of reason. i really must to your positive rep points.

You should go off in a huff, that'll learn 'em.

i have three choices.
    opt a. go off in a huff
    opt b. say how i feel
    opt c. laugh and say oh you guys are so cute and funny.

I opted for c originally, this keeps the boys happy.
    Then god forbid I said how I felt, this makes the boys uneasy, and attracts rampant agressive attitudes, and i was declared a feminazi, looking for female rights.

I'll just go off in a huff now.
    might go shopping.

see..I'm undoubtedly female.

Bejaysus Relax!

• Advertisement

are you trying to grow balls?
    Your the kind of woman who sucks up to any man that will give her any attention.
    (lesbian)

Sweet - shes off.
    Now, back to having fun....

,,,boobies!

<edit>I stand corrected - she's still here. This is still a fun-free zone people </edit>

Lol, discussion not going your way, so you start insulting people?

Please. If you can't make a valid point and start insulting and running off in a huff then yes, imho that makes the rest of us look bad. I don't even know why I'm replying, you'll probably just reply with something like "you're stupid I hate you, haha"

OH NO, I'M DISAGREEING WITH YOU, I MUST BE A MAN! :rolleyes:

keu wrote:
    Your the kind of woman who sucks up to any man that will give her any attention.
    (lesbian)
    Interesting. Surly a lesbian wouldn't suck a man. ;)

keu wrote:

(lesbian)

tbh if your just going to start insulting everyone who replies your asking to be banned.

keu wrote:

(lesbian)

Seriously now. Why is every single reply of yours an insult?
    It's not worth arguing with you, 'cos you fail to understand reason and proper debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Havelock wrote:
    Wonderfully insightful for After Hours Sleepy
    Agreed.

I'm only being as facetious as the men here.

Weren't you supposed to be leaving in a huff???

• Advertisement

keu wrote:
    I'm only being as facetious as the men here.

You reckon?

Your facetiousness has a decidely angry tone to it. Is it supposed to be like, I'm joking, but I'm serious, but I can pass it off as a joke and pretend I wasn't serious, but I am serious?!?!

Brain confussled. Need a blow job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

In fairness Keu, you have made a lot of really good posts in other forums on various topics, they've shown insight, intelligence, a sense of humour and are interesting to read...

why then put yourself in a position to be vilified by posting the way you are in this forum? I'm not criticising just curious...doesn't add up.

of course you don't have to explain yourself to me or anyone else on here, I just find it strange..

Keu In fairness life shouldn't be taken so seriously. Tis only the internet. So it's a generalisation about women, well we know and tbh i think men know, that it does not apply to all. Same goes for men. I know there's times i stereotype man (after a few drinks "there all baxtards" *hiccup*) It's time to lighten up and not resort to slinging insults willynilly. If you want to debate something, or someone to debate something back, you're going to have to change your approach a little.

Anyway it's friday, i must head to the supermarket and stock up. Oh christ i'm going to have more than ten items and that auld biddy in front of me is bound to take an eternity. Let's hope there's noone in front of me at the ATM! Just to get it back on topic ;-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Zulu wrote:
    Weren't you supposed to be leaving in a huff???

class :D

Koneko....my long lost kitten, where have you been ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

keu wrote:

(lesbian)

sorry but did she realy include herself in the list of men pretending to be women ????

or is she the woman giving women a bad name ?

did i read the above wrong ??

in all fairness GD, I take some subjects seriously, although admittedly not usually in after hours.
    There is an amazing level of double standards here. I felt the need to get it off my chest.
    I don't expect people to agree with me to make me feel better. This sexist thing has been going on for ages, and for the most part the women have enough sense to sit back and not respond, I felt like responding today.
    I'm not going to apologise for it either.

• Advertisement

It's not sexist - I've already explained that. It's almost like you want it to be sexist.
    Zulu wrote:
    The reason it happens is because of hand-bags.
    Change/purse/collection of crap is contained in a bag. Cluttered in no particular order. It's the handbags fault. You never see a woman causing this trouble when they aren't carrying a hand bag.

Jeans/trousers have pockets. Pockets are limited in size. People tend to keep a wallet in one quickly recognisable pocket. Thus the problem dosen't arise.

So is it sexist - No
    Is it mainly women - Yes
    Do men have handbags - No
    Do women mainly have handbags - Yes

Now could the femnazi brigade please retract their claws. ;)

you just keep on telling yourself that zulu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

I think someones sink-chain is too long !

keu wrote:
    I'm not going to apologise for it either.

I certainly wasn't requesting nor wanting an apology.

keu wrote:
    you just keep on telling yourself that zulu.
    I'll cut a deal; you keep convincing yourself that you are oppressed; that you are being vilified because of your sex and not you attitude, and I'll keep telling myself that. Furry muff? ....sorry I mean "fair enough"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement