Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko Upgrade Program

• 19-08-2004 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this (apparantley it's been going on for a good while now) in Dublin and in the papers the other day...

Selected range of Seiko watches (varying prices) from basic to Kinetic are now quite a bit cheaper if you hand in any real watch, whether working or not. You can save about 40 quid on basic 100-200eu watches or as much as 200eu on the expensive ones. The girl in the jewellers told me I can literally buy a cheap Swatch from them and then give it back in and get the full discount. Sounds good to me! Should be nation-wide although havn't seen the offer advertised everywhere.

I'm thinking of getting the SNG015 Kinetic which drops from 695 to 495. BUT I've found it cheaper on the web, but then again I don't know any reputable foreign watch dealers online...

While Anyone have any advice on this - i.e. better off buying in duty-free, online and delivered or online and sent to friends abroad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's just a discount on an overpriced product basically. Looks pretty poor to me. The seiko watches in those ads seem expensive to me for what they are (a quartz, a motor, some hands, possibly the cheapest dynamo design known to man and a rolled-gold and stainless steel massed-produced case and strap).

If you travel at all, I'd suspect you'd get a better deal somewhere else. Check all the catalogue places too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Fair enough. I dunno if I'd be quite so sceptical about the quality but I get your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Ive had swatch watche that have came out of the back of washing machine after 6 months just needing to be set forward an hour ;)

Ive had swatch watche that have came out of the back of washing machine after 6 months just needing to be set forward an hour ;)

So where'd you buy it?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭gerkiely

Do not buy a seiko watch. I have a kinetic arctura 2000 which has to be serviced by seiko every 2 years which costs €100. If you have any other problems your jeweller wont fix it , they wil send back to seiko which also costs a packet. Be warned!!

• Advertisement

Yikes! Thanks for the advice. Any other brands your recommend in that price bracket?
    (100-600eu)

I presume I've been misled into thinking that a kinetic should only serviced every 5-7years cos it has less moving parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭gerkiely

No take it from me ,those watches will cost a packet to maintain. I have paid at least €500 in repair and maintenance costs. If you could afford it the Simon Weil is a good watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

can recommend the Casio g-shocks myself. great watches. Had problems with a seiko before this one.

Advertisement