Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edge : Heel Turn???

• 19-08-2004 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

When oh when is this going to happen? It is painfully obviously at this point that he is just not over anywhere anymore. No more was this obvious than the booing he got in his home town - Toronto, at SummerSlam. Right from the get go, thye werent having him at all. Dammit, look at the Tour Of Defiance a few months ago. the guy was roundly booed throughout his match. Given, his opponent was Flair, but i reckon if he was up against Cade, it would have been similar (what a dull match that would have been!)

Iit looked like it would happen at Bad Blood, that he was going to cost Benoit and himself the tag-titles, but it didnt happen.

As a face, Edge just never worked, with the only notable exception being the InVasion angle and his classic ladder match with Christian. As a heel he has worked so much better. Like his cocky 'dude' gimmick with Christian, when evryting 'rocked' and so on, back to the days when he was in the 'brood' with Gangrel.

I havent read the Raw spoilers. Im just hoping that he pulls something, as the seed was most certainly planted at SS.

What do ye reckon?? Will it happen? How will it happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Edge is definitely in need of a turn. He seems to be suffering from the Rocky Maivia syndrom , where fans react badly to being told who to cheer for , especially a pretty boy face like Rocky or Edge. The only way WWE could think to salvage Rocky was to have him tell the fans to go shove it and create the ironic "People's Champ", and we all know the rest is history.
    They need to do the same with Edge, quick.
    Some sources are saying it's his long blonde haired image that has become dated , but if that's the case , how come Y2J is still over ?
    I think it's more down to such a small build up to his return from the year long injury. As he said himself , they could have created a good angle by having him go after whoever was supposed to have jumped him before No Way Out '03 , and if it was a big name it would have raised him into the main event picture quickly.Instead he came back and had a no build up match with Kane , granted a big name , but for no reason.

Also , as much as i loved the whole E & C thing , i think it stereo typed as a non-serious bill and ted impersonator , in fact if they don't do something with him soon we could see a reunion with his brother and a return to the tag belt hunt.

Personally , i loved his first incarnation as the myterious loner, a bit like the baseball welding Sting , where he came through the crowd and sat hanging off balconies watching other matches , that character had real potentional.

A mixture of that , with some E & C humour thrown in in mild doses , would be my idea of a franchise , either as a heel or a face.

But by the looks of it , Orton and Cena are WWE'S poster boys for the future... no complaints from me there , they're both gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Im fed up with Cena. Hes got tallent in the ring but hes just over cus alot of wrestling fan listen to rap music. An E&C reunion would totaly reek of awsomeness but they need a strong team to go up against like they did with the Hardys. I think Kidman and londan would fit the bill but the WWE dont look like mixing up the brands again for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Im fed up with Cena. Hes got tallent in the ring but hes just over cus alot of wrestling fan listen to rap music. An E&C reunion would totaly reek of awsomeness but they need a strong team to go up against like they did with the Hardys. I think Kidman and londan would fit the bill but the WWE dont look like mixing up the brands again for a while

Yeah, the tag situation on both shows has been terrible for some time now.There is no where near enough teams to merit two sets of belts. WWE should be grooming guys to be proper teams in OVW , I know La Res and the Bashams are'nt exactly LOD but at least they look like proper teams and have a gimmick , not like Noble and Chavo etc. , just thrown together to make up the numbers.
    The first Survivor Series had 10 teams , proper teams ( some were cheesy as hell i know but they were a proper team ) , in the one match. They'll never be able to do that again.

As for Cena , he does have that star quality/ charisma. A lot of yanks a re into him just for the rapping , but if it was just down to that , Ron Killings would'nt be on TNA now, he'd be rapping his way to the top of WWE as K-Kwik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

In Fairness WWE's tag division has always sucked in my opinion, even with Hardys, E&C and The Dudleys...Tag matches are boring to watch..throw in a TLC and they kick ass but a TLC is only a very seldom event. Edge and Christian would kick ass in their old California Dude type characters..."We gotta go Mick, We've got surfing lessons"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Tag matches didn't always suck, I remember great tag matches but they always involved proper teams like the hart foundation, nasty boys and the shortlived hollywood blondes. The british bulldogs were excellent in their day as were the rockers and power and glory.

i think that the problem these days is that most crowds think they have seen everything, i mean what tag match won't look boring following a TLC match. They need to get back to what it used to be like. Make the titles important, build proper backstage rivalries, more managers (and i don't mean divas).

its sad to say, but i don't think i've seen a really good tag team match since Jimmy Hart and Bobby heenan used manage in the wwf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, after Raw, it just looks like he is on the start of his turn (or is it that he is just really disliked in the UK, even JR mentioned the booing against him!).

He could work so well as a heel, as he showed on Raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Call me crazy but I'd love for them to play with it a while longer it could build into something special..keep him face have the fans booing for a long time so much so they'll think he'll have to turn but then do it long enough that the fans can't really predict when it will happen...plus I always personally thought tag matches sucked..even with the Hart Foundation..I like TNA's tag matches but thats a whole different beast thats kind of Kidman and London territory which WWE don't have the quantity of flying talents...I also would enjoy them alot more if they limited them to say just The Survivor Series..it would make it extra special.

Advertisement