Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More BF or some new BFV?!

Options
  • 20-08-2004 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

OK decision time!

Me and 2 mates have BF, we love playing it over LAN and Net.

Problem is, often about 8 or us will want to play but can only do this occasionally at LANs.

Now should we invest in more copies of BF now so we can all play or is it worth getting BFV, I havent heard much of it being good, and I realise this board may be biased , but should we stick with the reliable that we love or splash out?

I mean is BFV all that much better? for the extra €

{EDIT} with that in mind, anyone got any ideas on prices for BF or BFV? and can you buy BF without any expansions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

OK decision time!

Me and 2 mates have BF, we love playing it over LAN and Net.

Problem is, often about 8 or us will want to play but can only do this occasionally at LANs.

Now should we invest in more copies of BF now so we can all play or is it worth getting BFV, I havent heard much of it being good, and I realise this board may be biased , but should we stick with the reliable that we love or splash out?

I mean is BFV all that much better? for the extra €

{EDIT} with that in mind, anyone got any ideas on prices for BF or BFV? and can you buy BF without any expansions?

i'm not sure how this board would be biased, nearly all of us own both.

As for what you should buy, i'd certainly recommend BF:V at the moment, if you are moving to online play it is by far the more popular in ireland. Also , there is a mod being released for BF:V today of WW2, so 3 BF1942 maps, re-model'd and what not for better gfx....the pacific theater maps......

and BF would be hard to find now, and bf:V is probally still in the 30 - 40 range i'd say price wise...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

They are both gaming masterpieces tbh.

The only real thing which might be a deciding factor in buying them is, BFV is much faster paced than BF1942. Also one is WWII and one is Vietnam.

I say invest in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Cool thanks guys,

I asked is Vietnam was any good, as I heard from a few sources that it wasnt too good, so upon asking I said you may be biased.

Sounds OK, faster is better I guess, Ill go to game and see for myself I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

BF:v has come down in prices maybe around 35-40euro And BF is 27euro. My view is BF is out dated big time but i would still buy it so that i could use it for mods and buy bfv because it is ever so much more tastefull. Also the WWII mod is excellent maps are WAKE, PHILIPIANS AND IWO JIMA. Each map is better and looks better. Iwo jima is now a night level and more fun (me and a guy took out Battleship with Flamethrowers). Philipians is more serious and the music when in your plane or ship makes it less boring. And wake is now the ultimate experience. Tacticaly this mod is better but still has the essence of BF1942. My opinion is buy both and use one for mods and mess games and the other to watch yourself morph into a natural born killer!!

P.S. Your sources need a good kick up the hole tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

P.S. Your sources need a good kick up the hole tbh.

Why do you have to come out with something like that. I can see why some people would see BFV like that. In my opinion its still a very unfinished game. It's netcode isnt great and there are lots of bugs still in the game.

Live and let live, eh?

Fairy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i'd say neither unless you have a decent system. I personally find the engines in both games are resource-hogs! If you dont have a decent GFX card (ie FX5900+/9700Pro/XT) and 1GB of RAM forget about it. I was running it on a 3200+, 512 PC3200 RAM and a 9800Pro and had to use medium settings, and it still lagged in single player for the first 4 or 5mins, untill u had seen all of the level.

With my current system its perfect.

How bout

A-bit IC7
    P4 2.8 800FSB
    1GIG TwinMos winbond
    Herc 9800 pro

Think that will run it ;)

Bought joint operations, was cheaper than both BF and BFV and am very happy with it, im sure down the line ill buy BFV, maybe second hand but right now BF will do over LANs and alone or in a duo online

i like Joint Operations, i find the engine to be much better and it runs on my other Geforce 2 Ultra perfectly!

But yeah, ur system will run it for sure. Once u have a system that can handle the engine, it is a very good game.

BFV is €22 in GAME..in blanchardstown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Duron 1ghz
    512 133 ram
    Gf 3 ti 200
    1024x768 no lag on BF42 and 800*600 no lag on BFV?

Both ran fine on that pc for me without any problems.

Kdjac

OK, eh I was being sarcastic :S of course that will run i t;)

Oh cool, but to get out to Blanch aint easy, aint selling it in all of the game stores no? I just PMd someone on borads selling BF 2nd hand too so should have another copy of that

• Advertisement

it might be in every game store, i just know for sure its in blanch for that.

Vietnam is very popular now and all stores are selling it. Sure if you go into town it will be easyer to get in, also if you dont find it in one shop there are alot more shops to try! If you want i'll buy it for you and send it down then ill give you a return address to send the mula! No rush on money. pm me your address and i'll send it to you by the end of the week!!

Thanks, but ill buy it if I want it, just so I dont put you out, prolly pick it up some day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can also get BF Vietnam for about 22 euros from cdwow.ie at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Both games have thier good points and bad points:

BF1942
    Pros:
    ____
    Get alot of people on a level like berlin and its an absolute slaughterfest and huge amounts of fun
    Tanks are probably a bit easier to use cause you dont have trees and sh!t in your way (i used to use tanks all the time in 1942, but not so much in bfv).
    Much better netcode, doesnt lag half as much as bfv

Cons:
    ____
    The planes. Seriously, play against anyone who knows how to use a plane and you WILL get raped unless you can fly yourself. It kinda ruined the game for me tbh.
    The desert levels. They SUCK. Theyre huge, theres nothing in them unless youre a pilot, and theyre boring as f*ck.

BF:Vietnam

Pros:
    ____
    The action, basically. I find it alot easier to kill people in bfv than in 1942. In 1942 you can waste entire clips trying to kill ONE person with a gun like the mp40/thompson. Bfv a few bullets are all it takes sometimes. Alot more pick up and play value from this.
    The planes/helis are alot more user friendly. You can just hop in a heli and charge around, or sit in the side door with an mg, its great fun :)
    Gfx are sweet.

Cons:
    ____
    Netcode sucks.
    Heli raping.

Id advise getting BFv to be honest, just cause its got a better scene at the moment, and is more popular online than bf. Its a great game and either way you wont be disappointed :)

Also get enemy territory!! its FREE!!! And its great!! You can play et instead of 1942, its ww2 after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Deadwing wrote:

The desert levels. They SUCK. Theyre huge, theres nothing in them unless youre a pilot, and theyre boring as f*ck.

Dont mind him ,hes mad look at Bf42 servers and see that the 3 top maps are El Alamein(thee best MP map for any game EVER!) Tobruk and the other desert map whose name escapes atm.

Oh just buy both they cheapish atm.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

KdjaC wrote:
    Dont mind him ,hes mad look at Bf42 servers and see that the 3 top maps are El Alamein(thee best MP map for any game EVER!) Tobruk and the other desert map whose name escapes atm.

Oh just buy both they cheapish atm.

kdjac

Bah. Theyre the most boring ones in the game hands down. Bah humbug :P
    Tobruk is good, el alamein and the other one blow goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

another great thing about Vietnam is the music. there's nothing like recreating that scene from apocalypse now with ride of the valkyries blasting out of your chopper whilst your mate mows down people on the ground below with the machine gun :)

It loses its novelty value, and you soon realise you'd rather be alive than play music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

If you like giant desert maps, get PoE (point of existance) a mod for BFV. Modern day vehicles, lots of tank v tank fun and some massive desert maps, though I like the african savannah one the most personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Also, get WWII mod for BFV- recreates BF42 rules and 3 of the maps. Actually very fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Hell I hate to this but why dont you just get a "ARSE!!" of the game and put it on all the computers instead of buying a copy for each computer which is just thick really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Hell I hate to this but why dont you just get a "BACKUP" of the game and put it on all the computers instead of buying a copy for each computer which is just thick really

Well ... insted of going mental for you not reading the Charter I'll point out a few things.

If you indeed were to get a "BACKUP" of the game as you say you would not be able to play in online. Reasons for this are CDKey's. EA have this system on their disc's where you have to have a valid CDKey to run and play the game. Now, i know there are ways of getting around this at the install point but your problem only starts from there. When you try to play the game online that "working" CDKey will usually not work. For a game such as the Battlefield series, they are designed to be online games. If you cant play it online you are seriously stuck. I can tell you that as I have seen it happen.

Also, with the game dropping in price so much recently, its well worth spending the money on. A lot of people worked long and hard to produce the game for your entertainment and they desirve the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just thought i'd hitch a ride on this post and mention i got my copy of BF1942 working again and with this sweet sweet broadband i intend to have me some fun online!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Deadwing wrote:
    Heli raping.

but thats the best part...when yer in a heli... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haven't bothered with BF42 in ages....Been playin BF:V on Navan the last few nights - great fun and none of the usual messin you get on some servers :)

Hell I hate to this but why dont you just get a "ARSE!!" of the game and put it on all the computers instead of buying a copy for each computer which is just thick really
    Explain?

Last edited by Jimeatsmenu : 02-09-2004 at 17:18.

That explanation enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Winters wrote:
    If you indeed were to get a "BACKUP" of the game as you say you would not be able to play in online.
    But these people are only after LAN and have you retards ever heard of a Arse!?

Read the charter regarding Arse's please. You were already warned to read it. One week ban.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say that now jim. I still love the idea that i can kill people, to the beat of (0+C) "Now where to run to baby...........No ware to hide" or how about making your way across the level on foot only to rob a jet or heli and you play (0+n) "I faught the law and the LAW won. No matter what that game is better then we've been told!

Advertisement